Winter oats 2021

Started sowing Husky Oats using the Kockerling drill at slightly less than 10 Stone per acre . South of us in Bunclody they had heavy rain early this morning . We had some rain but by 11am it was dry enough .

Ploughing for winter oats today, a cranky field is tough enough going, ploughing up quite tight, will need a few days.

Back home late tonight and its lovely stuff.

Got a nice drop of rain here this morning.

Plan on one passing at the weekend.

Ploughing for winter oats today, a cranky field is tough enough going, ploughing up quite tight, will need a few days.

Back home late tonight and its lovely stuff.

Got a nice drop of rain here this morning.

Plan on one passing at the weekend.
Has the MF30 departed?

I’m not great at sowing rates yet, 200kg to the hectare is my rate for everything, with oats though the last bit I sown was 155kg to the hectare, I’ll probably get oats finished tonight or tomorrow not as good as conditions as gone but not pure muck either, would ye think 155 is okay or go up a bit, I read that high sowing rates of oats can lodge them ?

I’m not great at sowing rates yet, 200kg to the hectare is my rate for everything, with oats though the last bit I sown was 155kg to the hectare, I’ll probably get oats finished tonight or tomorrow not as good as conditions as gone but not pure muck either, would ye think 155 is okay or go up a bit, I read that high sowing rates of oats can lodge them ?
I think 155kg/ha should be good, at this time of year and into reasonable sowing conditions, but it really depends on TGW and quality of seed and seedbed.
I think sowing rate is something you have to do a few experiments yourself with, to know what is best for your soil and conditions, but 155 is a good steady rate to start from.

I sowed the first field at 160kg/ha . It was slightly higher than I planned but happy enough with it. If it is too thick wait till April to put on the Nitrogen.

It is lower than I would advise others to sow at, but it seems to work here, I probably would like a higher seeding rate if condition weren't good but going into damn near perfect seedbed.
Your spot on at that, I’ve heard 12/13 stone being mentioned
Lower seeding rates means stronger plants
Aiming for 9 here too plus 10% if conditions dictate

Back