Once a day milking

podge 23

I was half thinking of breeding heifers that would be suitable to once a day milking,what do ye think or does it sound like a really mad idea ...

That yacht in St Tropez isn’t going to sail itself
I can get a Crew through the farm relief and write it off as an expense. The owners of the Christina O got a tax write off on their investment and probably got a tax write off on the losses against future profits elsewhere.

Is there anybody on here milking once a day?

it’s a great lifestyle choice and would put you on a similar lifestyle to a tillage/cattle farmer or a person with a job

That’s the the thing it would take years to get the right cow,the cow type I have at the moment is 70% Holstein 30% fresian so not suited to once a day.
I would think there is a lot of problems with once a day milking too.

There is a lady that posts on twitter under @Cow785 that is making a great go of oad. Has it perfected to a T

That’s the the thing it would take years to get the right cow,the cow type I have at the moment is 70% Holstein 30% fresian so not suited to once a day.
As someone above said hire in someone to milk once a day and have the best of both worlds.. I know a guy who went once a day this year but the litres are back something serious id say they are nearly dry at this stage , works for some but I think twice a day with good relief milkers would be a far better option , as said above cow785 on twitter has it perfected but crossbred herd which would be more suited.
Are you doing anything with the parlour for next spring? From reading your posts here over the last year it seems the parlour might be just the killing point of your set up?

I go once a day this time of the year till dry off in December. SCC below 100. Just suits me as i get through a serious amount of farm jobs when i do it. Also means i dont have to get out of bed till 7 am V 6.30 am. I would not go once a day all year as yield would drop too much.

The one downside someone here who did it for a few years pointed out was you are doing more work at calving, breeding, rearing stages for less work the rest of the year as you will normally increase numbers of cows overall.

So there is that tradeoff.

It's an idea I've always liked the thoughts of myself

I'm in second year at it with no problem s 50 h 50bf is ideal but not end world .cow's did 23l @60000 ssc at peak this year .A good milking routine the main thing

i worked on a 1000 cow herd in new zealand many years ago for a year , all jersey fresian X , i remember thinking they werent worth running into the parlour more than once per day

Yes I think from reading the posts here that getting a lad to do the evening milking is the best option or at least for now anyway or at least the weekend evenings .
I reckon it could take me 10 years to have the right cow for OAD so .

I’ve an acquaintance who’s aiming for oad,reality is he’s no work in him,won’t be happy till he’s nothing to do.

I agree with fiats post regards a good milking routine,like everything your no good doing a half arse job.

I milk OAD here on average. The other 7 times a week I pay someone else to milk. Milking is a boring task and I've got plenty other stuff on the go to fill my day with. The 40e/milking wage more than covers the loss in production from actually milking oad. Well nay I do actually milk oad from mid Dec to early Feb (when only 20/30cows milking)

Yes I think from reading the posts here that getting a lad to do the evening milking is the best option or at least for now anyway or at least the weekend evenings .
I reckon it could take me 10 years to have the right cow for OAD so .
I'd say try wat you have and see how you get on . you can go back too twice.aday

Back