Winter Barley 2021

B3936C3A-D548-45F6-B3F0-F0172BE24B95.jpegDd winter barley 3 weeks sowed after beans. Coming slowly. First year of no till barley in this field but beans were non tilled last year. Fairly uneven but if I’ve learned anything with dd that’s to be expected, so we’ll see how it goes.

What is causing the uneveness towbar? Is it the pressure on the drill, previous crop residue or ground conditions?

I'd imagine, another week and You'll hardly know.

View attachment 83832
Infinity emerging well even in the wheel tracks from rolling.
I hope mine looks as well in a weeks time. It’s on the hill looking down on yours.I felt that I had to roll it as it’s after grass and the seed bed was very loose. It’s in a week and just peeking through. It’s Belfry and not Valerie so should push through anything as long as the crows leave it alone!

I hope mine looks as well in a weeks time. It’s on the hill looking down on yours.I felt that I had to roll it as it’s after grass and the seed bed was very loose. It’s in a week and just peeking through. It’s Belfry and not Valerie so should push through anything as long as the crows leave it alone!
The picture is from home. Your field looking down on mine is only in a week too and not up yet.

We've had no bother from crows for a change or slugs either.

We have belfry in the Commons just 2 weeks in the ground and well up now.

20201102_133732.jpg
My ole pals the slugs have been busy these last few days. All the rain has made it easier for them to get around.

I'm sure I asked this question before but would a plant like this go on to survive provided it doesn't get eaten again?
The second leaf is just emerging so I'm thinking there is no fear.

What do ye think?

View attachment 84029
My ole pals the slugs have been busy these last few days. All the rain has made it easier for them to get around.

I'm sure I asked this question before but would a plant like this go on to survive provided it doesn't get eaten again?
The second leaf is just emerging so I'm thinking there is no fear.

What do ye think?
The plant will definitely survive that kind of grazing but keep an eye as the slugs won’t have gone away. If it’s just odd plants like that and not patches then I wouldn’t worry.

My impression over the years is that they seem to hit barley harder than wheat, maybe it’s more palatable. It’s almost like their saliva sickens the barley plant but that could be my imagination.

The plant will definitely survive that kind of grazing but keep an eye as the slugs won’t have gone away. If it’s just odd plants like that and not patches then I wouldn’t worry.

My impression over the years is that they seem to hit barley harder than wheat, maybe it’s more palatable. It’s almost like their saliva sickens the barley plant but that could be my imagination.
I have the odd patch in wheat more so than barley. The patches are in very wet spots.

The barley is growing away from them too fast so I'm not worried about that.

The barley in the picture had a pre merge weed spray as the ground is soft and we took the opportunity to travel the ground before the weather changed. When it emerged it had a hint of yellow to it. Starting to green up now.

Back