Winter Barley 2021

View attachment 84049View attachment 84050I’ve seen a few crops of barley lately with a serious amount of volunteer wheat or volunteer spring barley. Going to be a serious mess.
Was it mintill? The first one looks like it was. I'd say I'll have wheat in some of mine, the previous wheat had eye-watering losses. I disced immediately and left it as long as possible and glyph and plough, but still expecting some.

Was it mintill? The first one looks like it was. I'd say I'll have wheat in some of mine, the previous wheat had eye-watering losses. I disced immediately and left it as long as possible and glyph and plough, but still expecting some.
No the stuff in the photo was plough, graham wheat and half the heads fell off and never greened up as there was V little rain in September, it’s not mine. I was sent this photo today by a friend of belfry min till and vol wheat also up through it 5ECE0E17-3C17-4953-9EAA-C670ECEF880C.png

No Winter Barley 2021 . The stress of the 2019 competition with the blatant photoshopping got to me and I had to be dried out in the Priory . They have a special ward for distressed barley growers.
You can be F4F independent observer! Surely pass enough fields between Carlow and Rosslare and I’m sure cruising along sedately in the Rolls would make it easy update us

You can be F4F independent observer! Surely pass enough fields between Carlow and Rosslare and I’m sure cruising along sedately in the Rolls would make it easy update us
The view wouldn't be great though, he'd be sitting down low, the window between him and the driver would probably be tinted leaving him with only the side window to see out and he'd probably be to busy sipping cognac to be worried about anything else

The view wouldn't be great though, he'd be sitting down low, the window between him and the driver would probably be tinted leaving him with only the side window to see out and he'd probably be to busy sipping cognac to be worried about anything else
Not to mind the curtains- Russian oligarch style.
F5B11195-3CD4-402A-9991-4AB150C3F4B5.jpeg

Not to mind the curtains- Russian oligarch style.
View attachment 84068
He’s known to duck the head passing through Scorchio so that’s rules out any Ballycarney entrants

Anyone have the lowdown on Zodiac WB?
It’s a 6-row and is supposedly good on disease etc.
Planning on starting WB the week after next weather permitting.

They usually close just as the Dairy Men are drying off a bit like pubs closing for traveller funerals although I did hear they had to put in a special filter in the Spa to catch the Barley Hulls.
Level 5 lockdown may keep you in carlow for a while yet, you just be gaze at Mt Leinster and dream of what wonder lay beyond.

All winter barley sprayed , most traveled ok apart from a 40 acre piece but I knew it was going to be a risk going to that ground. Have a different agronomist walking some ground this year so we will see how that goes. Half got 2l of tower and the rest got naceto .34 and dff .15 .

Attachments

• F485C83C-EB9E-4BD0-9147-F2D73CAF8453.jpeg
    F485C83C-EB9E-4BD0-9147-F2D73CAF8453.jpeg
    520.1 KB · Views: 47
Not the worst bit but a hollow that always holds water
@gone I could live with that bit in 50 acres ..... I didn’t get pictures of the other block but it’s not pretty at all.... real heavy wet land , on a hill so water doesn’t sit on it but is full of springs and the top
4 or 5 inches can be mucky on top... of course the field at the road is the worst with tracks 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️ Was going to go with wide wheels on the sprayer but reckoned it would still sink a bit so I think it might be better to only have the tramline mucked rather than a foot either side as well

Back