What are you up to in the workshop?

The engineering department have made the log-splitter moveable by the loader. The idea is to have long hoses so a tractor with a sprayer or other machine on it can split a few sticks without removing the machine. The frame can be removed and revert to three point linkage.

Tinryland Eng Ltd are getting very fancy with their wheels and all!

The engineering department have made the log-splitter moveable by the loader. The idea is to have long hoses so a tractor with a sprayer or other machine on it can split a few sticks without removing the machine. The frame can be removed and revert to three point linkage.
We have a log splitter the exact same as that one, we changed it to work vertically a while back. It made it an awful lot easier to work. You should get the engineering department to change it. It will save you some amount of back pain.

We have a log splitter the exact same as that one, we changed it to work vertically a while back. It made it an awful lot easier to work. You should get the engineering department to change it. It will save you some amount of back pain.
He has a tray made up to hold the sticks . I borrowed a neighbors vertical splitter to split big oak biscuits. He is splitting for three years time. Not sure where the axle and wheels came from. He made a trailer for canoes from one of those mobile roadside signs and it might have been donated from that project.

He has a tray made up to hold the sticks . I borrowed a neighbors vertical splitter to split big oak biscuits. He is splitting for three years time. Not sure where the axle and wheels came from. He made a trailer for canoes from one of those mobile roadside signs and it might have been donated from that project.

They are usually the wheels that are fitted to those alright!!

Anyone good with electric motors ? I’ve my evolution saw motor apart cause it blows fuses in plug and it seams to be wearing brushes . I tryed sand down the armature but i’m not having luck! Would taking small bit off armature by latte work ?

Attachments

• EDCCE26A-90E9-42D8-A3CD-A2D3179302AB.jpeg
    EDCCE26A-90E9-42D8-A3CD-A2D3179302AB.jpeg
    180.7 KB · Views: 34
Anyone good with electric motors ? I’ve my evolution saw motor apart cause it blows fuses in plug and it seams to be wearing brushes . I tryed sand down the armature but i’m not having luck! Would taking small bit off armature by latte work ?
Yes, I often machined a starter motor armature on the lathe, clean out the grooves afterwards though.

Anyone good with electric motors ? I’ve my evolution saw motor apart cause it trips fuses and it seams to be wearing brushes . I tryed sand down the armature but i’m not having luck! Would takeing small bit off armature by latte work v

Yes, I often machined a starter motor armature on the lathe, clean out the grooves afterwards though.
Why would you machine it ? What was the issues ? Mine is starting then cutting out and blowing the fuse in plug. I cleaned it down with sandpaper and replaced the brushes and it ran for second blew fuse and the armature went burnt like that above . I did look up youtube on how to test an armature with multi meter so i may try that. If that is ok i sopose i cud get it machined a small bit .
A new armature is 120€

Why would you machine it ? What was the issues ? Mine is starting then cutting out and blowing the fuse in plug. I cleaned it down with sandpaper and replaced the brushes and it ran for second blew fuse and the armature went burnt like that above . I did look up youtube on how to test an armature with multi meter so i may try that. If that is ok i sopose i cud get it machined a small bit .
A new armature is 120€
If brushes were allowed to entirely wear out this leaves an uneven surface on the armature and then when a new set of brushes are fitted the surface contact is not perfect and full power can’t get through. Very similar to brake pads being allowed wear down to the metal and scoring the discs, new pads will quickly be destroyed again on the scoring.

If brushes were allowed to entirely wear out this leaves an uneven surface on the armature and then when a new set of brushes are fitted the surface contact is not perfect and full power can’t get through. Very similar to brake pads being allowed wear down to the metal and scoring the discs, new pads will quickly be destroyed again on the scoring.

i get ya now . Can u shed any light on why the armature would b like it is on mine ? Or why the brushes are getting scored

i get ya now . Can u shed any light on why the armature would b like it is on mine ? Or why the brushes are getting scored
Can you throw up a pic of armature and brushes.
There may be an intermittent short in the windings either, colour of armature before you sanded it would tell if burnt from overloading.

There may be an intermittent short in the windings either, colour of armature before you sanded it would tell if burnt from overloading.

Attachments

• C329A6C0-E3AC-4134-A69F-36663F001C35.jpeg
    C329A6C0-E3AC-4134-A69F-36663F001C35.jpeg
    180.9 KB · Views: 35
  • D65012D5-9617-4EA3-B30B-9D7774E94B17.jpeg
    D65012D5-9617-4EA3-B30B-9D7774E94B17.jpeg
    180.7 KB · Views: 35
  • FAA4BBF4-0B67-448C-BB76-F4F9671E08BD.jpeg
    FAA4BBF4-0B67-448C-BB76-F4F9671E08BD.jpeg
    140.4 KB · Views: 35
It sounds like a short in the windings, can't see why it would blow a fuse otherwise.

That armature isn’t bad enough to require lathing, it looks flat enough across the brush area. Looks scorched enough in the first pic though. Is the motor binding or jamming causing the burning? It would take fair resistance to blow a fuse, maybe get the windings checked for a power leak or short.

Replaced the ifor floor a few weeks back, twas spongy to say the least. but the underside was in shockingly good shape. chopped the middle out of it and used it to re-floor the sand pit. I would say that it should outlast the young lad's needs at this stage, but looking in the mirror I dunno, I still like playing in the dirt, I just use bigger shovels :)

1604320257722.png

(And dont ask me what he was using the crimper for on this job) (or the shifting spanner for that matter)

A friend rang first thing this morning in a bit of a panic, thought the bushes had gone on the pivot between the first and second arm on his trimmer. They had but there was a bit more to it as always................................................................
IMG_0040.JPGIMG_0041.JPG
The pin had broke which was the real problem, can't believe its only a 40mm pin with a hole drilled lengthways part of the way and through it to stop it turning. It should never be that size on a 6 metre reach with a vfr arm, its a 50mm on the 5000T here and should be no less on this one, suppose that's cost cutting for you!!
IMG_0042.JPG

Back