Factory Prices General thread

People finding it easy get cattle killed?
Depends on what you are trying to get killed from what I can tell the last couple of weeks. Huge demand from them for well fleshed cows, willing to pay 5 to 10 c per kg more than what the papers are reporting as the general run of prices for those. Young bulls easy enough to get away also, as numbers of them to be killed are well back this year in general on other years apparently. I have no heifers or steers to kill at present so can't comment on those.

Are there many lads able to get €1100 to €1300 for Holstein Bullocks?

Did they forget to mention how much less milk he s selling, while he s making all this extra money. or how much better the calves are treated, when they are staying on farm.
you can easily make 1300 on a 24 month Holstein if he grows without a fault and has a bit shape to him and lots of ration involved. the flip side is there ll be plenty 900 euro ones too with the same feed cost (24 month ). yes i have got that money 'on occasion'.

No rocket science into what is going on there lads, the dairy industry needs to spin some positive stories about the male offspring, so that they can continue making money from the females. Nothing against the dairy industry personally, and I would say hats off to them for making the effort with these type of write ups. They know come the spring there will be another avalanche of reports criticising them for producing these unwanted male calves and they are just doing their best to balance the media spin.

No rocket science into what is going on there lads, the dairy industry needs to spin some positive stories about the male offspring, so that they can continue making money from the females. Nothing against the dairy industry personally, and I would say hats off to them for making the effort with these type of write ups. They know come the spring there will be another avalanche of reports criticising them for producing these unwanted male calves and they are just doing their best to balance the media spin.
From chatting exporters, getting calves away next spring, may become an issue

Didnt that type of chat start this time last year too, a bit of market manipulation! Don't remember there being huge problems this past spring with backlog of calves. Why do they think it will be an issue this coming spring

I think the live export of calves may well be nearing an end game from a animal welfare perspective. When you have agricultural ministers in fellow EU states trying to ban imports of calves from other countries then the game is nearly up.

Didnt that type of chat start this time last year too, a bit of market manipulation! Don't remember there being huge problems this past spring with backlog of calves. Why do they think it will be an issue this coming spring

I think the live export of calves may well be nearing an end game from a animal welfare perspective. When you have agricultural ministers in fellow EU states trying to ban imports of calves from other countries then the game is nearly up.
Yes, this is the reasons for their comments

Reactions: Bcl
Back to the real subject of the thread, how are lads getting on with getting cattle booked in this past week? Doesn't look like this rise in prices that lads spoke of in the lead up to Christmas is going to materialise.

Back to the real subject of the thread, how are lads getting on with getting cattle booked in this past week? Doesn't look like this rise in prices that lads spoke of in the lead up to Christmas is going to materialise.
Rang yesterday to book cows for next week and they would have taken them tomorrow. I didn't book them. I'll ring next Monday to see if the price has improved.

Could do with getting more killed each week but been held back in a number of factories, I reckon after next week it will free up a good bit, but that takes us up to the 23rd of November at €3.60, factories will drag on for a week and thats the first week in December, when then you will hear a "Brexit announcement" on the phone while waiting to be put through. Factories have played it lovely.

Fair play to the lads that said cattle would be €4 at Christmas, they are going to be taking one for the factories.

Could do with getting more killed each week but been held back in a number of factories, I reckon after next week it will free up a good bit, but that takes us up to the 23rd of November at €3.60, factories will drag on for a week and thats the first week in December, when then you will hear a "Brexit announcement" on the phone while waiting to be put through. Factories have played it lovely.

Fair play to the lads that said cattle would be €4 at Christmas, they are going to be taking one for the factories.
I was in a factory last week and it was as good as closed. I was in the same factory another morning the same week and they were out the door with stock. Are some of them working off reduced hours / kill days I wonder? Said factory would usually be killing a lot of cattle. 4 Euro per kg beef is not a realistic ambition in a Brexit shaped beef industry I would say.

Biggest problem is the teagasc bullshit , calf them all in 4 weeks or as much as possible.take one of the highest ebi bulls " albert " .calves are born almost 10 days early to bring up fertility ratings. Any calf that mammy wasnt feeding for ten days will always be way behind and also lads are sexing them at scanning and there are reports of cards landing back before calf is born is what was reported when they were going for immediate slaughter.then this wee thing lands in the mart and is to weak to get much hardship.
And add in a storm when boats cant travel with calves.and now holland are talking about not taking them

Any morons out bull shiting about 4 euro by Christmas will as usual be moaning about all the money they've lost and come next year the same gobshites will be flat out bull shiting again about the 4 euro.
The current factory price is what we should be operating on and all well and good if a rise happens. I'm under no illusions where the price will be in the new year and thats about it.

Back