What are you up to in the workshop?

A friend rang first thing this morning in a bit of a panic, thought the bushes had gone on the pivot between the first and second arm on his trimmer. They had but there was a bit more to it as always................................................................
View attachment 84071View attachment 84072
The pin had broke which was the real problem, can't believe its only a 40mm pin with a hole drilled lengthways part of the way and through it to stop it turning. It should never be that size on a 6 metre reach with a vfr arm, its a 50mm on the 5000T here and should be no less on this one, suppose that's cost cutting for you!!
View attachment 84074
seen the same pin go but on a 7285 Tele VFR carrying a 1.6 head.

seen the same pin go but on a 7285 Tele VFR carrying a 1.6 head.
This is a 6065 VFR with a 1.6 head, VFR puts a lot more load on that pin too. Fairly sure its the same size pin on next doors PA500 with a 1.2 head...............

A Fourtrak, a non turbo one.
That was what I was half expecting.

I would have thought, going on what I read rather than any experience, that an engine out of a 4x4 would have been governed all wrong for an application like a loader?

Was there much to getting it to fit?

That was what I was half expecting.

I would have thought, going on what I read rather than any experience, that an engine out of a 4x4 would have been governed all wrong for an application like a loader?

Was there much to getting it to fit?
It works fine in this case, suppose the extra power helps over come any governing issues. It would have near on 70hp at the same revs as the deutz had 30. Not too bad to fit, made a new bell housing to take the hydro pump, the hydraulic pumps are off the back of the hydro pump so that was done and there was just enough room to get it in with a radiator.

Now i put the same engine in the digger and that didn't work, no amount of adjusting the fuel would make it drive it and had the governors in the pump altered, it wasn't even close to being any good!

Wasn’t the Nissan cabstar engine used in forklifts and diggers?

I’m sure my 1st digger had a cabstar engine,shite to start but fine once running.

Wasn’t the Nissan cabstar engine used in forklifts and diggers?

I’m sure my 1st digger had a cabstar engine,shite to start but fine once running.
Toyota, I think, used automotive lumps in forklifts as well but the pumps would be set to govern differently and hold a constant speed better.

Only one's I knew were 6cyl 3.3
And 2.7 turbo.
The 3.3 were very smooth running, maybe not the liveliest but would pull the house down.

The 6 cyl Patrol engine was as sweet an engine as was ever made . The early Patrols were only 4 speed. 22 or 23 mpg was as good as it got

There were several Nissan Laurels, ( 6 cyl 2 litre petrol) converted to diesel using Patrick engine and
A local fa tory agent had.the same.engine I several Laurels. Like sitting in a big sofa. Luxobarge .

Oh Jeanie nearly forgot about that. It was at that moment the ford maverik was born. Quite possibly fords get out of jail free card in the 90s with jeeps.

Can anyone tell me if the arrow in the picture is pointing to the angle drive unit on the end of the tachometer cable or am I way off? Tractor is a case 885xl. TIA

Snapchat-2010160693.jpg

Can anyone tell me if the arrow in the picture is pointing to the angle drive unit on the end of the tachometer cable or am I way off? Tractor is a case 885xl. TIA
You are spot on, that is the angled drive for the tachometer/rev counter. It can wear a bit making it look like the rev counter has butterflies 🦋🦋 🦋

You are spot on, that is the angled drive for the tachometer/rev counter. It can wear a bit making it look like the rev counter has butterflies 🦋🦋 🦋
Thanks for that. Yeah it's completely gone at this stage. Was quoted €150 from case dealer but conaty has them for €50 delivered. So should do the job. Is it as simple as taking it off with a spanner?

Thanks for that. Yeah it's completely gone at this stage. Was quoted €150 from case dealer but conaty has them for €50 delivered. So should do the job. Is it as simple as taking it off with a spanner?
No worries, yes they are dear enough from case. Yes, straight forward unscrewing it from the timing case with a spanner. Don't tighten it up the last, the timing case is aluminium and you could strip the threads.

No worries, yes they are dear enough from case. Yes, straight forward unscrewing it from the timing case with a spanner. Don't tighten it up the last, the timing case is aluminium and you could strip the threads.
That's great. Thanks for the advice

That's great. Thanks for the advice
If you’re really lucky remove the end of the cable from the gauge end and pull the inner cable through, if it’s broken in two pieces this trick is no help to you. But if stretched or end damaged you may be able to just replace the inner cable by threading the new one back, the angle drive can be hard to get at on the timing cover.

Back