Winter Wheat 2021

Are aphids an issue with crops emerging now do ye think ? Iv given non of my winter crops an aphicide (or any spray) but reality is I’d do a serious amount of harm with a tractor and sprayer now in most of it

Are aphids an issue with crops emerging now do ye think ? Iv given non of my winter crops an aphicide (or any spray) but reality is I’d do a serious amount of harm with a tractor and sprayer now in most of it
I think it's only precaution than anything. With the wet and then the cold I'd say aphids are low at the moment.

I was all set to spray them myself but I've changed my mind since. It's been cold out the last couple of nights around here.

Sprayed the Aphids this morning and put Axial Pro where the Spring Oats shelled with the August storms . No weed killer till the Spring and it will probably be Broadway star .

Sprayed mintilled W.W. with Stomp aqua and Karate Zeon.
According to Syngenta's app it should not be done, but the app is one size fits all and very conservative.
Screenshot_20201107_182230_com.bydv_assist.jpg

I found a good few on Wednesday, I think it was, especially where there are volunteer beans growing.
Not finding any here and reports are numbers are very low, but it’s field by field decision and if you find them then it’s an easier decision to make than throwing it because it’s cheap or your passing through
If you use an aphicide and no aphids present you have killed all your beneficials and left your self wide open
I’m expecting pre Xmas to have cold snaps and hopefully keep numbers low while beneficials build . If we get continued mild spell numbers may build and it may necessitate it but that could be January

Not finding any here and reports are numbers are very low, but it’s field by field decision and if you find them then it’s an easier decision to make than throwing it because it’s cheap or your passing through
If you use an aphicide and no aphids present you have killed all your beneficials and left your self wide open
I’m expecting pre Xmas to have cold snaps and hopefully keep numbers low while beneficials build . If we get continued mild spell numbers may build and it may necessitate it but that could be January
That field was sprayed with Glypho pre-harvest, then 1 run of the Karat the day before it was sown, there are spots where you can't see the wheat because of the Vol. beans, Ideal for aphids.
I'm not sure I like the App, no account of anything other than sowing date and weather.

That field was sprayed with Glypho pre-harvest, then 1 run of the Karat the day before it was sown, there are spots where you can't see the wheat because of the Vol. beans, Ideal for aphids.
I'm not sure I like the App, no account of anything other than sowing date and weather.
Early sown field has passed threshold but no aphids
Think you’d be better off running on gut feel

I wouldn’t be convinced by these apps.
I see there’s a questionnaire about pgr decisions in another thread - the questions asked are beyond basic.

No app based on simple metrics like sowing dates or variety can make hard and fast decisions about whether to apply these chemicals.

Decision support systems for Septoria using in field weather stations were trialed years ago by teagasc and went nowhere as you would be out every second day spraying.

A grower or agronomist who can walk the crop and use their knowledge and experience to make the decision is currently the best approach in my opinion.

I don’t think the app is much good for the initial infection that may take place weather dependent 4 weeks after sowing but if seems to be quite good at the secondary infection prediction that can occur in December or January

Oh ok. That was my reasoning for a bit extra DFF. I thought I had heard or read it was good on AMG. Thanks G. You've saved me doing harm probably and wasting money :thumbup1: .
Have heard Dff is good on meadow grass but you would want on before or just as you see tramlines for it to be effective.

The crows didn’t seem to give you any trouble there G. We have wheat at about the same stage and the crows have given it a fair rooting.Hopefully another day or so and they will be gone out of it.
We sowed 24ha in that farm and a neighbour sowed an adjoining field of approx. 20ha the same time, dilution seems the best defence.

BBA3736E-3E3B-48C6-9BE4-853E002181E7.jpeg

9B347615-A6DC-4C5F-8D4E-B04B5A028026.jpeg

2B52DF5D-BD65-46C4-8D4E-EAD05592B568.jpeg
illuminate wheat all the way from Ballycotton. Planted the 15th October. Slugs numbers have exploded in the last 3 days, going to have to pellet this and some belfry barley tomorrow. Hadn’t spread pellets since 2014 since we gave up OSR. Wheat is sluggish enough, the storms must have knocked the jizz out of the seed a bit compared to the winter barley but plenty of it here, sown at 190kgs/ha tho.

Slug numbers have exploded the last few days, I thought they were under control but set more traps and had a good root around today, one place sowed a week ago has a lot of seed following since it budded 2 days ago, only had 3 to 4 slugs in the traps but they're very active under the ground

Back