Frost

Yea there was ice on the car windscreen early this morning alright.
Still spent the day spraying weeds in spring barley though.

Would it be alright to spray growth reg early in the day if there's frost coming that night? I have 1l/ha of manipulator and an aphicide to go on spring barley tomorrow

Oh s**te, busy all day didn't see this thread, I spread the last of Sulcan on SB this morning and sprayed it this evening with aphicide, for weeds and Mancozin. I thought it was a fab evening for spraying, hope it won't scorch. No PGR in tank, will it be ok?

Pulled the plug on spraying SB for that very reason. Have lots of weeds only coming up anyway.

Looks like It's cold right through to next weekend.

I put a liter of Terpal on some of the winter barley this morning. Wasn’t anything else in with it hopefully that might help.

Unseasonably low Temperatures at night and will possibly drop to zero tonight. Week may also have cold nights
Be wary of spraying for weeds in SB or applying PGR into frost
Could possibly scorch
Will the weed spray still work or does the frost reduce its effectiveness? I know the crop bein scorched is not good.

Will the weed spray still work or does the frost reduce its effectiveness? I know the crop bein scorched is not good.
I would think so as weeds were actively growing, quite likely no ill effects. Warm during day will help crop anyway
-2.2 in Carlow last night

Would you consider This year a high risk sclerotinia year?

Reasonably high I think. Very very long flowering period which greatly contributes to opportunity for infection.
Plenty of warm days plus wet during that period.

These cold nights would certainly help against Sclerotinia but more rain Tuesday night/Wednesday followed by a rise in temperatures.

Also, the AHDB disease risk chart has most of the UK under green dots (low risk) for the past couple of weeks but it has a fine red dot (high risk) right over Cork....

The second spray may well be a complete waste of money (I wasn’t going to bother) but when I weighed everything up, I decided to do it.

Reasonably high I think. Very very long flowering period which greatly contributes to opportunity for infection.
Plenty of warm days plus wet during that period.

These cold nights would certainly help against Sclerotinia but more rain Tuesday night/Wednesday followed by a rise in temperatures.

Also, the AHDB disease risk chart has most of the UK under green dots (low risk) for the past couple of weeks but it has a fine red dot (high risk) right over Cork....

The second spray may well be a complete waste of money (I wasn’t going to bother) but when I weighed everything up, I decided to do it.
What did you put on it?

Was going to spray roundup on stubbles today seeing as rain forecast for the rest of the week. Should I let the frost clear off the ground first before spraying or will the roundup dry onto it eitherway?

Was going to spray roundup on stubbles today seeing as rain forecast for the rest of the week. Should I let the frost clear off the ground first before spraying or will the roundup dry onto it eitherway?

You are chomping at the bit to go early. Plenty of time between now and February.

I wouldn't be keen on spraying on frost anyway!

You are chomping at the bit to go early. Plenty of time between now and February.

I wouldn't be keen on spraying on frost anyway!
I let the frost clear off first when temps rose a bit I got 4 tanks out. There was no wind out and I have 4 fields surrounded by WB so was eager to get sprayed in dead calm conditions. I like getting finished early with roundup as I only have to sterilise the sprayer once properly before I start spraying WB again.

I let the frost clear off first when temps rose a bit I got 4 tanks out. There was no wind out and I have 4 fields surrounded by WB so was eager to get sprayed in dead calm conditions. I like getting finished early with roundup as I only have to sterilise the sprayer once properly before I start spraying WB again.
@MF30 did you still get a good kill on a frosty morning once you gave it a chance to warm up.
I am thinking of burning off a strong cover crop tomorrow or Sunday but overnight temps are low.

@MF30 did you still get a good kill on a frosty morning once you gave it a chance to warm up.
I am thinking of burning off a strong cover crop tomorrow or Sunday but overnight temps are low.
Yes everything was killed off even white frosty patches on sheltered headlands.
Glyphosate has an uncanny way of killing everything that you don’t expect it to and even stuff that you hope it won’t.
I sprayed Mizr on stubbles last month and even in perfectly calm conditions a small bit drifted through a gateway into WB that I was being super careful to avoid, even dropping pressure to one bar on that headland. Didn’t kill much but shows what’s really happening on the ground.

Yea I remember you mentioning that you were spraying stubbles, that was a good calm day alright, I sprayed my Winter Barley the same afternoon.
some going to drift that day.
I will chance it tomorrow I think, another machine put away for a while.

Yea I remember you mentioning that you were spraying stubbles, that was a good calm day alright, I sprayed my Winter Barley the same afternoon.
some going to drift that day.
I will chance it tomorrow I think, another machine put away for a while.
I still have to spray my WB, it’s either been too wet or too cold, I’ve got another couple of weeks to get it done, should get temps up by then hopefully.

Back