Pictures..Old and newish!

Nearly three years on and it hasn't had a spanner near it since. Mowing last week for a neighbour, had it half cleaned for a tractor run today

After a proper clean and a polish for the run..pity there's no sun in the pictures. It still cleans up pretty good, it spreads a lot of lime which means it usually looks a dark shade of grey :lol:

Found a few old photo albums cleaning out the old house so I scanned a few off the old photos!

Stiching grass seed.
IMG_0001.jpg

whats the drill beeing used to stich in the grass seed? looks to be ripping up the field a fair bit, how did it work? good job after?

Just seen this for the first time, It looks to be a Hunter, was known as a Hunters rotary strip seeder, tilled a strip and placed the seed in it, seems some are still in use..http://www.oldfieldagriculturalcontractors.co.uk/agricultural_contractors_strip_seeding.html . I had one a long time back but it got moved on because there was little interest in the technique at the time, One for sale here.http://www.donedeal.ie/vintagemachinery-for-sale/for-sale-hunters-rotary-strip-seeder/7127385

Just seen this for the first time, It looks to be a Hunter, was known as a Hunters rotary strip seeder, tilled a strip and placed the seed in it, seems some are still in use..http://www.oldfieldagriculturalcontractors.co.uk/agricultural_contractors_strip_seeding.html . I had one a long time back but it got moved on because there was little interest in the technique at the time, One for sale here.http://www.donedeal.ie/vintagemachinery-for-sale/for-sale-hunters-rotary-strip-seeder/7127385

It is indeed that one came from Wexford. We ended up narrowing it to work on steep reclaimed fields with 2wd tractors.

It is indeed that one came from Wexford. We ended up narrowing it to work on steep reclaimed fields with 2wd tractors.

Used run mine on a 2wd Fiat 80-90, had a trolley for moving between jobs, front weights needed and would be touch and go on hilly ground.

[MENTION=2191]d8666[/MENTION] Could you post a few pics of where you fitted the isolator on the 4270. Thanks,

May as well keep this thread going as the brother started it. First pic is of a bit of reseeding last year. I'm not sure is their much appetite for the sheep ones on here?!
Last two are from work. Do a bit with a local contractor. The pressure was on in the last picture to beat the rain.

IMG_20200428_204342.jpgIMG_20200421_204748.jpgSnapchat-588713220.jpgSnapchat-1503227800.jpgSnapchat-215860925.jpg
That first picture is all reclaimed ground. Would have been all Heather at one time. My father got wills bros to reclaim it around 1983. A great bit of ground now although it's bumpy. Wills have come a long way since, only had a digger or two and a dozer that time.
I think the dog has a preference for the 7615...if she could get into it😅

Last edited:
May as well keep this thread going as the brother started it. First pic is of a bit of reseeding last year. I'm not sure is their much appetite for the sheep ones on here?!
Last two are from work. Do a bit with a local contractor. The pressure was on in the last picture to beat the rain.
You’d think there were no sheep in Ireland due to the lack of pictures on here.

I presume they’re are Mayo Blackface?
They look in good order.👍

That's a lovely set up you have there. Wouldn't mind a sheep shed like that myself. Are the lambing pens all under the one roof as well?
Sort of all under one roof, the sheds were added on over time. Their all slatted tanks. Their is 14 bays of sheep tanks/slats with individual pens. And a 3 Bay double dry shed for group pens. Have to go outside to get to it though. House them in December for march lambing. My father would have put up the first slatted shed for sheep in 1986. Hope to put up another dry shed for lambing this year if all goes to plan

Last edited:
The sheep aee looking well.
Do you lamb on the slats?

Cousin has an open topped sheep slat setup. Seriously healthy for them! Often wondered about it here. But I see us going down the route of trying to keep them outside longer. And move away from the big suffolks to something lighter.
What I wouldn't give to have a bit of dry hill ground for them!

How big are those blackies? And what kind of % would they lamb?

The sheep aee looking well.
Do you lamb on the slats?

Cousin has an open topped sheep slat setup. Seriously healthy for them! Often wondered about it here. But I see us going down the route of trying to keep them outside longer. And move away from the big suffolks to something lighter.
What I wouldn't give to have a bit of dry hill ground for them!

How big are those blackies? And what kind of % would they lamb?
Yes, lamb on the slats,have timber and plastic. Both work equally well. take them off as soon as they drop and pen them up.
Have been going down the lleyn route since 2012. Closed flock breeding our own.. Prob the best sheep we have had but the number of lambs is their biggest problem, never scan under 2. Got two nz suffolks now to run with them so hoping this brings the number of triplets down a bit and hopefully they don't turn into ro big a sheep
The blackies wouldn't be wild big although I know lads that run them on grass all year round and they turn into big sheep then. Mine come down to grass to lamb and then back up the mountain at weaning. They would scan 1.. 4/1.5 ish.

Reactions: AYF
Sort of all under one roof, the sheds were added on over time. Their all slatted tanks. Their is 14 bays of sheep tanks/slats with individual pens. And a 3 Bay double dry shed for group pens. Have to go outside to get to it though. House them in December for march lambing. My father would have put up the first slatted shed for sheep in 1986. Hope to put up another dry shed for lambing this year if all goes to plan
How do you get on with the slats compared to straw bedding? Are they plastic or expanded mesh? Those blackface mountain sheep are a credit to you. I haven't seen as nice a batch in a long time.

How do you get on with the slats compared to straw bedding? Are they plastic or expanded mesh? Those blackface mountain sheep are a credit to you. I haven't seen as nice a batch in a long time.
We have never bedded sheep on straw here except for the group pens after lambing so I can't really comment on that. Have 4 bays with plastic slats and the rest timber, their much of muchness to use but plastic is 3 times dearer but hopefully a lifetime job.
Thanks for the comment on the blackface ewes👍 they would be a closed flock for a long long time. Their great hardy ewes, lamb outside and never spend a night in a shed, so often wonder should I keep more of them and less of the lowland ewes for a easier life!

We have never bedded sheep on straw here except for the group pens after lambing so I can't really comment on that. Have 4 bays with plastic slats and the rest timber, their much of muchness to use but plastic is 3 times dearer but hopefully a lifetime job.
Thanks for the comment on the blackface ewes👍 they would be a closed flock for a long long time. Their great hardy ewes, lamb outside and never spend a night in a shed, so often wonder should I keep more of them and less of the lowland ewes for a easier life!
Ah yeah that's fair enough. Yeah I'd imagine the plastic would be a good long term investment alright over the wooden ones. Ah yeah anyone can have a pen of them looking well for a show but yours are a great looking bunch in their working clothes. That's really the ideal ewe. I suppose prolifacy is probably where they can fall down. Do you breed any mules? My dad was talking to a man a while ago and he is lambing 800 Romney's outside. He said that anyone lambing sheep indoors was only giving themselves hardship. Maybe you could be right with more blackies🤷‍♂️

Ah yeah that's fair enough. Yeah I'd imagine the plastic would be a good long term investment alright over the wooden ones. Ah yeah anyone can have a pen of them looking well for a show but yours are a great looking bunch in their working clothes. That's really the ideal ewe. I suppose prolifacy is probably where they can fall down. Do you breed any mules? My dad was talking to a man a while ago and he is lambing 800 Romney's outside. He said that anyone lambing sheep indoors was only giving themselves hardship. Maybe you could be right with more blackies🤷‍♂️
I'm wondering about going in that direction too!!

I'm wondering about going in that direction too!!
The hardest part this weather would be finding somewhere dry to keep them. I've never seen the ground as wet in winter. It sounds like a winner if it worked out though. A nice sheltered paddock and away they go.

Reactions: AYF
I was asking a local fella why he was buying herdwick ewes,he said “I stick a texel on them and leave them to it” he was lambing over a 1000 on his own and the herdwick was his easy care breed.

I’d say in the future we’re going to see more going back to traditional breeds that lamb unaided and without huge amounts of hard feed and sheds.

The hardest part this weather would be finding somewhere dry to keep them. I've never seen the ground as wet in winter. It sounds like a winner if it worked out though. A nice sheltered paddock and away they go.
We planted stubble turnips for the secont time last year. If it wasn't for the sh#t weather they would have been fantastic given the awesome crop we had. Has still done well and ewes have kept condition well.

Seeing as the day was bad decided to give the 42 a lick of polish. A member on here recommended the chrome products and its good stuff surely.
Changed the stabilisers to the kind that's on the 43 series as well.slight bit of cutting to the bracket thats bolted to the axle to get them to fit. The old ones were gone very sloppy. Got them and a few other bits of ned murphy in wexford, sound men to deal with.

Attachments

• IMG_20210131_171818.jpg
    IMG_20210131_171818.jpg
    221.1 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_20210131_171931.jpg
    IMG_20210131_171931.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 79
Back