Calving 2021

FIAT 450

Well said I'd open a tread on calving. Just to see how lads are getting on. And any problems one might have come across and how they got over them. Have many started yet? We have almost 40 calved here now. Lost one to a still birth and no need for a jack yet. Cows and heifers firing them out and getting on with business

Well said I'd open a tread on calving. Just to see how lads are getting on. And any problems one might have come across and how they got over them. Have many started yet? We have almost 40 calved here now. Lost one to a still birth and no need for a jack yet. Cows and heifers firing them out and getting on with business
2 places Im Helping out on have just started in the last 3 days. One is reading herd test tomorrow which always kicks things into gear, rotten timing for the test. All ok so far, Angus and friesian calves, couple of friesians needed a pull. With the easy calving Angus bulls now there nearly needs to be an anomaly for a cow to need help

2 places Im Helping out on have just started in the last 3 days. One is reading herd test tomorrow which always kicks things into gear, rotten timing for the test. All ok so far, Angus and friesian calves, couple of friesians needed a pull. With the easy calving Angus bulls now there nearly needs to be an anomaly for a cow to need help
Jesus a awful time for a TB test alright. Even more so if they go down

Do ye take a few weeks break between thte autumn Ones and springboks

12 calved.
Lost 1 yesterday. Big lad coming backwards so knew when the backend came out I’d have to be quick. Back hips popped out and when jacking quick to get him out, straw got knotted up in the jack and made it slip. Only a couple of seconds lost but was enough. Too good a bed.

2 calves during the night a heifer calved at 2am and had to jack a backwards fr bull calf out there now. Cup of tea and head out to milk now

Three here. Heifer calved at 11.30. the 2 cows calved before 4. One of the cows progressive wants to test the calf if it's a bull. May see what it is now.

Do ye always check the cows/calving camera in the middle of the night?

We don’t. It wouldn’t be practical when calving ayr.

Mine are not suppose to start calving until 5th February but one cow with twins calved today, (scanned as single). Two healthy male Fr bull calves. Glad to have a twin calving out of the way before i get busy. Calving time is not the time of year i like as you are only in the door, showered and cleaned up and then you see another one calving and if it is a assisted calving then it usually means another shower. Only good part is this year i finish calving at end of March. I took compact calving to a new level. No April calving when you are exhausted and bugs start to build up in sheds.

Do ye always check the cows/calving camera in the middle of the night?

We don’t. It wouldn’t be practical when calving ayr.
Ya I'd always check on things. Not every 30mins now but maybe 1.5-2 hr intervals. Had a calf last night with veal over its mouth, just got to him in time.

Three here. Heifer calved at 11.30. the 2 cows calved before 4. One of the cows progressive wants to test the calf if it's a bull. May see what it is now.
I registered calves on monday night I got 4 calls on Tuesday from ncbc, texts from them too and a text from dovea about 2 bull calves. One out of Albert and one out of fr4582.

Bit easier to know when sucklers a getting near to calving. Would put moo call on first calf heifers.

35 calved so far, going the finest touch wood, two cases of mild pneumonia though in two calves thus far which I am putting down to a lack of airflow in the calving shed and have on the to do list for this weekend.

I registered calves on monday night I got 4 calls on Tuesday from ncbc, texts from them too and a text from dovea about 2 bull calves. One out of Albert and one out of fr4582.
That's the job. Hopefully something will come of them now for you. My cow had a heifer..

Back