Straw Prices

That's my plan anyhow, supply good existing customers that want straw, will have more acres of straw this year so chop some on land that needs OM put back in. Will be chopping all bean straw anyway scheme or no scheme
Would beans qualify? There usually chopped anyway? I've heard of baling it but not around these parts..

Would beans qualify? There usually chopped anyway? I've heard of baling it but not around these parts..
No I don't think they will be eligible, what I meant was even I the absence of a payment for chopping bean straw there is no way I would remove haulm from the field. 15 to 20 % of the area here would be sown to beans since 2010 and have always chopped the haulm as I think it's a massive benefit to the soil, in terms of adding OM, improving soil biological activity, improving soil structure. The carbon N ratio of it is similar to that of FYM so has a similar effect when added to soil and doesn't rob the soil of N in order to break it down. The nutrient content per bale would be almost double that to say wheat or barley straw so on just nutrient removal and baling cost your talking maybe €9 per bale, then all the added benefits to the soil that incorporation brings there is no way I'd consider selling it. Often get calls lads enquiring about buying the bean straw, thinking youd almost be going to give it away but it has to high a value to overall system to consider removing it

No I don't think they will be eligible, what I meant was even I the absence of a payment for chopping bean straw there is no way I would remove haulm from the field. 15 to 20 % of the area here would be sown to beans since 2010 and have always chopped the haulm as I think it's a massive benefit to the soil, in terms of adding OM, improving soil biological activity, improving soil structure. The carbon N ratio of it is similar to that of FYM so has a similar effect when added to soil and doesn't rob the soil of N in order to break it down. The nutrient content per bale would be almost double that to say wheat or barley straw so on just nutrient removal and baling cost your talking maybe €9 per bale, then all the added benefits to the soil that incorporation brings there is no way I'd consider selling it. Often get calls lads enquiring about buying the bean straw, thinking youd almost be going to give it away but it has to high a value to overall system to consider removing it
Very interesting. I never knew the value of haulm before, it's something that never seems to be published like even osr is. Mine is chopped 90% of the time only this year I baled 1 field because I was tight on straw for my own use by the time the regulars got theirs and a few obviously saw the writing on the wall and got extra. It was actually quite good bedding but after reading your post I won't be doing that again.

Very interesting. I never knew the value of haulm before, it's something that never seems to be published like even osr is. Mine is chopped 90% of the time only this year I baled 1 field because I was tight on straw for my own use by the time the regulars got theirs and a few obviously saw the writing on the wall and got extra. It was actually quite good bedding but after reading your post I won't be doing that again.
It will still be very good when you spread it, it hasn't left the farm.

Well if used as your own bedding and then returned to the land it wont be a loss, all the nutrients will still stay on your farm, the crop following the beans might do better if haulm was chopped alright

Well despite my best efforts to extract a mere 20 euros a 4 + 4 bale for good dry barley straw this harvest i only managed 18 with a fierce struggle . Some buyers opted to go elsewhere for cheaper supplies and i let them go . I permitted myself a sly smile when i seen an ex customer taking delivery of a load of bales that i know for a fact were baled damp . Good luck to him with teasing them out .
Patience is a virtue and you needed plenty of it last harvest to get straw dry for baling and in the21st century whats 20 euro ??? Though i also milk cows the antics of some of the Dairy boomers leave me cold . If the didnt pay so much for land the price of straw wouldnt be worrying them so much . In the end all my surplus straw went into the shed and is now all gone at 25 a bale . Tonight at the start of the calving season its a foolish or very poor man that hasent plenty of straw for his cows and calves nothing like it and its not that drugs and vets are cheap when the virus strikes .
The scheme will put a floor in the market and its up to growers to get returns above this . Long overdue rise in cereal growers fortunes this harvest every little helps.......

Well despite my best efforts to extract a mere 20 euros a 4 + 4 bale for good dry barley straw this harvest i only managed 18 with a fierce struggle . Some buyers opted to go elsewhere for cheaper supplies and i let them go . I permitted myself a sly smile when i seen an ex customer taking delivery of a load of bales that i know for a fact were baled damp . Good luck to him with teasing them out .
Patience is a virtue and you needed plenty of it last harvest to get straw dry for baling and in the21st century whats 20 euro ??? Though i also milk cows the antics of some of the Dairy boomers leave me cold . If the didnt pay so much for land the price of straw wouldnt be worrying them so much . In the end all my surplus straw went into the shed and is now all gone at 25 a bale . Tonight at the start of the calving season its a foolish or very poor man that hasent plenty of straw for his cows and calves nothing like it and its not that drugs and vets are cheap when the virus strikes .
The scheme will put a floor in the market and its up to growers to get returns above this . Long overdue rise in cereal growers fortunes this harvest every little helps.......
The next time the big dairy boys try that ask them do the creamery haggle with them over the milk cheque? I find it a good way of giving as good as I get so to speak. They can fcuk right off. Same happened here another one went in looking to sell straw to him (this was a long time customer) left them off and found out he chases the combine with the baler. I had a little moment myself when I heard it back..

Just to point out lads, the exact details of the scheme haven't been released yet so I would not be spending the money yet....

I still won’t be chopping as my old girl doesn’t have a chopper!!!!
If I had the option I would chop headland swarths at the ins and outs payment or not. I find it a pain to get it dry.
Trouble is I’m a bit far from the west to transport with a tractor, it’s a pity, but if there were truck men in Kerry, limerick or Clare that come my way it may make it feasible. I try to be very fair on price as it’s a two way street, I need them and they need us.

No chopper here either but have a few good customers as well as myself! Barley straw is always sold but find the price of oaten straw very variable and I'm conscious of It's P and K value more so than barley. I'm thinking of keeping the oaten straw for bedding now and see how it goes for next winter.

Just to point out lads, the exact details of the scheme haven't been released yet so I would not be spending the money yet....

No chopper here either but have a few good customers as well as myself! Barley straw is always sold but find the price of oaten straw very variable and I'm conscious of It's P and K value more so than barley. I'm thinking of keeping the oaten straw for bedding now and see how it goes for next winter.
I no longer sell my oaten straw. All the barley straw and any wheaten straw thats required is sold but oaten is kept for bedding and the diet feeder. The cattle actually seem to prefer it over barley anyway plus you'll always sell barley straw.

Back