Any advice on combines ??

Farmingforfun

Hi everyone,
I’m new to this forum so forgive the silly mistakes!!! We were running a deutz 2780 1985, but unfortunately COVID has got the better of her!! We r cutting c.150 ac per yr but that may rise to c.200 over next year r too. I was looking at 1999 deutz 4075 HTS And 2002 John Deere 2256. Can anyone give me some advice r recommendations?? I’m used to deutz and they r cheap and easy to run so leaning towards that but mayb machine bit old. Anyone any experience with jd 2256. R they reasonable to Run and what kind of problems can they give?? Also any advice on grain loss from them?? Thanks in advance, R

Welcome to the forum, I joined last year with a similiar question but for a smaller combine, I’m no help to you with these size machines but there are a lot here that can help. The deutz seem to be the most popular machine

I would not worry about the Deutz at that age as long as it has not gone over 5k hours or is seriously worn out and needs a lot of work. I cut way more than your acreage with a 1991 Deutz 3640 .
There are other colours of combines

Make sure the 4075 is not the short walker model. Some of them were terrible for putting grain out the back. I’m using a 3640 hts and an old 1610h. The 1610 is a brilliant combine. Stay away from balance machines too. The 4075hts with the 6 cylinder engine is the best of them. The v8 uses way more fuel

Make sure the 4075 is not the short walker model. Some of them were terrible for putting grain out the back. I’m using a 3640 hts and an old 1610h. The 1610 is a brilliant combine. Stay away from balance machines too. The 4075hts with the 6 cylinder engine is the best of them. The v8 uses way more fuel but is worth it for the sound.
Fixed that there for ya :laugh:

Hi everyone,
I’m new to this forum so forgive the silly mistakes!!! We were running a deutz 2780 1985, but unfortunately COVID has got the better of her!! We r cutting c.150 ac per yr but that may rise to c.200 over next year r too. I was looking at 1999 deutz 4075 HTS And 2002 John Deere 2256. Can anyone give me some advice r recommendations?? I’m used to deutz and they r cheap and easy to run so leaning towards that but mayb machine bit old. Anyone any experience with jd 2256. R they reasonable to Run and what kind of problems can they give?? Also any advice on grain loss from them?? Thanks in advance, R
Jd would be a good combine but the deutz would be better, in a good sunny day the jd might out cut the deutz but at the start and the end of the day the deutz will trash where the jd will be under pressure, as others have said avoid balance machines and any short Walker 4075, but don’t think a 1999 4075 hts would be a short Walker. When you are used to deutz already it might be better to stick with them as much is same up through all the years apart from more electrics in newer ones and different panels.

Make sure the 4075 is not the short walker model. Some of them were terrible for putting grain out the back. I’m using a 3640 hts and an old 1610h. The 1610 is a brilliant combine. Stay away from balance machines too. The 4075hts with the 6 cylinder engine is the best of them. The v8 uses way more fuel

I'd second this as well, those JD's never seemed that popular.

I'd also consider a late TX34 as well or a TX62 but the latter might be too big on the money.

Welcome along too.

How is it that the 95 to 04/05 new Holland’s and possibly beyond combines hold their value so well ? Is it the thrashing system or just reliable or what

How is it that the 95 to 04/05 new Holland’s and possibly beyond combines hold their value so well ? Is it the thrashing system or just reliable or what
They seem to be reliable with lots of metal in them. Threshing system is pretty much the same as the Deutz apart from the holland using augers to send the returns to the grain pan instead of blowers like the deutz.

I got a mad notion last year and put a finger roller over the walkers on my 3640. It throws the straw up gives it a good shake. Made a fair difference in that I could move a bit quicker with no loss over the walkers
That like the spider used to be in our John Deere 975 ?

I would not worry about the Deutz at that age as long as it has not gone over 5k hours or is seriously worn out and needs a lot of work. "I cut way more than your acreage with a 1991 Deutz 3640"
There are other colours of combines
Your the biggest farmer this side of Carlow town

thanks for the advice lads. Unfortunately the john deere is sold, think I might take yer advice and look at NH also
What kind of hours & money are the 4075 if I was you that's the combine I'd buy, simple machine, good output, you know them already. I'd consider it plenty modern, hydro, electric controls, air con, what more do you want for a couple of weeks, to come up to a 2004 Deutz 5680 you are talking close to 50k plus the Vest And Trousers. I'm wanting to change my TX34 at the moment for a 64 or 65 plus, they are very hard to come across good ones and anyone that does come up is up on €45-50k plus vat which I consider a lot for something over 20 years old, if the 4075 is available to you I'd make a move on it.

Last edited:
Who's your local deutz dealer? If you want a cheap combine with a hydro you wont go wrong.
I'm in NH country down here and any kind of a hydro 60 series machine is making mental money. I was lucky and picked up one in France a few years back.

Its not exactly a 64 or a 65 @Claas Grass.. But its not to far off one either, I'm sure there's more knowledgeable lads here to advise on its capabilities.

Thanks, enquired about it last week thinking it might not be a million miles off TX money, £75k plus vat delivered and serviced, way out of my reach. I think I know every 5 walker combine between here and Spain at this stage :blink:

Thanks, enquired about it last week thinking it might not be a million miles off TX money, £75k plus vat delivered and serviced, way out of my reach. I think I know every 5 walker combine between here and Spain at this stage :blink:
The machinery sector is completely out of whack as far as I can see. The insane price of new machinery is making clean reliable second hand stuff almost unattainable aswell.
I'm sure there are big operators who would once upon a time have considered a new combine now willing to pay serious money for a reliable second hand unit and just keep them reasonably up in the years. The difficulty there is who is going to buy new mid size machines in future as those willing to go new are likely to be limited to only high hp high output machines

I spose you already talked to nick dunican. He had a plus model on done deal a week or 2 ago

Back