Selling dairy heifer calves

HEX Heifer

Hi all,

I am hoping to sell around 20 heifer calves. Not born yet, So fingers crossed, i
used sexed semen and calves will be from high ebi hol/fr sires on my frx cows. Calves will be an average 200 ebi, with good solids, milk and fertility.

I sold 10 calves last year and the buyer has contacted me looking to buy all my heifer calves that im selling.

What are they worth at 3 weeks old. Im hoping to get as much as i can whilst being fair.

Thanks

Hi all,

I am hoping to sell around 20 heifer calves. Not born yet, So fingers crossed, i
used sexed semen and calves will be from high ebi hol/fr sires on my frx cows. Calves will be an average 200 ebi, with good solids, milk and fertility.

I sold 10 calves last year and the buyer has contacted me looking to buy all my heifer calves that im selling.

What are they worth at 3 weeks old. Im hoping to get as much as i can whilst being fair.

Thanks
At 3 weeks of age, Id say €250-300 would be plenty and fair.

Good quality two year old calved heifers made over 2k in Kilkenny mart this week. At 250-300 i would buy them and i dont need them

Good quality two year old calved heifers made over 2k in Kilkenny mart this week. At 250-300 i would buy them and i dont need them
I'm buying good quality heifers for a hell of a lot less than that ATM! And no mart involved! Are they readily making 2k or. just an odd one?

350-500 depending on age and quality
I was hoping nea
I wouldnt be selling them for less than 400. I got that last year. I was thinking of asking more as the market is so high.

Lads are giving 250-350 for beef calves, that will the best money they will ever make.

I'm buying good quality heifers for a hell of a lot less than that ATM! And no mart involved! Are they readily making 2k or. just an odd one?
I think 2k is the top of market. But i see plenty on donedeal looking that money for heifers with no mention of ebi.

I spoke to a friend today, he milks 360 cross bred cows, he is putting the stock into a ltd, directors loan.
His herd ebi would be the same as mine €180 odd
Last week, His accoutant made him get an independent valuation and his cows were valued from 1400 to 1800, and his in calf heifers all valued at 2k. He has 24, 200 ebi + heifer calves calved on the valuation date. The were all valued at 500€.

Im not saying thats were the market is. But if you have a good product you need to be getting the best price you possibly can, regardless of the business.

Imo calves with an ebi sub 100 are worth 250-300

I think 2k is the top of market. But i see plenty on donedeal looking that money for heifers with no mention of ebi.
I have heard of a few lads looking for silly money for heifers ATM. They're up approx €150/head this year. Average €1550-1600, which is high in my book.

I have heard of a few lads looking for silly money for heifers ATM. They're up approx €150/head this year. Average €1550-1600, which is high in my book.
Was watching the sale during my lunch break and 21 heifers all made north of 2k. Clearance sale then after and there was 4-5 lactation cows making 2k as well. Things seem to be crazy in the sales rings.

If you were selling youd be saying that youd want every bit of it😇🤣😂

Out of interest, how much does it cost to rear a heifer calf all the way to milking? Not including the cost of her first service

A heifer rearer would want between a euro and a euro fifty a day .1100 -1300 is the figure being touted over the last few yrs
It's a way higher .arent teagasc up at 1650 euro from birth 2 calving at a 2yr old

but what's driving this demand.is expansion not starting to slow down pretty well , while there are new entrants and still a big demand in the north , is there not an awful lot of dairy Youngstock on farms now or has culling rates increased that there in such demand

I spoke to a friend today, he milks 360 cross bred cows, he is putting the stock into a ltd, directors loan.
His herd ebi would be the same as mine €180 odd
Last week, His accoutant made him get an independent valuation and his cows were valued from 1400 to 1800, and his in calf heifers all valued at 2k. He has 24, 200 ebi + heifer calves calved on the valuation date. The were all valued at 500€.

Im not saying thats were the market is. But if you have a good product you need to be getting the best price you possibly can, regardless of the business.

Imo calves with an ebi sub 100 are worth 250-300
The mai reason he's doing that is to build up a director's loan too doh

I looked in on line at listowel mart yesterday for calved and in calf heifers, it was madness the prices that were paid, up to €1950 and avg €1700 for heifers with no figures to back them up just some lads buying calves an rearing them and putting them in calf and selling them, milk price isn't that good to be paying that kind of money

Honestly I don't know. There a mixed bag in it. 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 5th lactation ones in it. I'd be thinking 1200e upwards maybe
We sold a bunch lately, some 2nd/3/4 and 7th, all good cows with papers and recordings, did not get the money you mention. No one wants april or may calvers unless your a winter milk person.

I was hoping nea

I wouldnt be selling them for less than 400. I got that last year. I was thinking of asking more as the market is so high.

Lads are giving 250-350 for beef calves, that will the best money they will ever make.
A lot will depend on whether you want a returning customer or not. I'd be saying 450 tops going by what you got last year for similar. You might get 500 and the man nowhere to be seen next year.

I looked in on line at listowel mart yesterday for calved and in calf heifers, it was madness the prices that were paid, up to €1950 and avg €1700 for heifers with no figures to back them up just some lads buying calves an rearing them and putting them in calf and selling them, milk price isn't that good to be paying that kind of money
Loads of lads at this at the moment. God help them if they get locked up with TB as many of them have no milking facilities. Second wave of new entrants are not as cost conscious as the first wave and this seems to be the reason for the mad prices.

Loads of lads at this at the moment. God help them if they get locked up with TB as many of them have no milking facilities. Second wave of new entrants are not as cost conscious as the first wave and this seems to be the reason for the mad prices.
Your point re the second wave of new entrants is brilliantly made @Neat, and that would be typical of the 2nd wave of new entrants known to me also. One point that is often forgotten about the 1st wave of dairy entrants that have become very successful is that in general, they were excellent farmers to begin with. I would not be so sure that the latest batch are of the same caliber, and some are getting in for the wrong reasons I believe. I hope to be proved wrong.

My neighbour averaged £1230 through for his dispersal last Thursday,honest cows but average,I think he had an unbelievable sale.

We sell our heifer calves at weaning,I think £560 was our best,four in today but it’s drop and go mart at the minute.

Last edited:
Back