Farming in France

seem like very nice folk and go getters to boot

took courage and ambition in equal measure to achieve all that

i knew land prices were a good bit lower in France but had no clue they were as low as that ?
If I’d have known back then I’d have been out in a flash,land was very cheap! I’d say it’s a fair bit harder to do now.

One of my farming heroes told me if there was anywhere to farm it would be France,it’s the only country in Europe I’ve ever visited and I’ve always liked it,shame about the french.😀

I’ve gone off Pennsylvania recently due to seeing the snow they get,only other place would be Lower Saxony in Germany.

We would have gone years ago, only for the overriding feeling of being lonely without family and friends out there.
We still haven't ruled it out as it seems far more possible to get a decent farm out there compared to here. Always keep an eye on what comes up there too.

Interesting on the land prices alright. 8 wettish acres up the road from me went around 60k lately, mad money. I'm under no illusion the land around me and Indeed our own is nothing special, but land prices are astronomical

Its good to see people not afraid to try new things too

Interesting on the land prices alright. 8 wettish acres up the road from me went around 60k lately, mad money. I'm under no illusion the land around me and Indeed our own is nothing special, but land prices are astronomical

Its good to see people not afraid to try new things too

suppose France being so big , land is always going to be considerably cheaper ? , land in Russia is less than a grand per acre and they have plenty of great land

pretty sure land in much of the USA is also quite cheap ?

id never be tempted to relocate myself , i do like visiting different places but never felt the urge to take on that kind of adventure , probably neither ambitious enough or smart enough

We would have gone years ago, only for the overriding feeling of being lonely without family and friends out there.
We still haven't ruled it out as it seems far more possible to get a decent farm out there compared to here. Always keep an eye on what comes up there too.
I’d say half the reason there doing the holiday let’s is for a bit of company .
suppose France being so big , land is always going to be considerably cheaper ? , land in Russia is less than a grand per acre and they have plenty of great land

id never be tempted to relocate myself , i do like visiting different places but never felt the urge to take on that kind of adventure , probably neither ambitious enough or smart enough
21 years ago I nearly got a tenant farm in Cheshire,once I’d missed I just got my head down here,it’s an age thing!
I’ve put so much into here it’s very hard to leave.

Agreed on all counts. Gerald Potterton had a bit in the farmers journal this week about tillage farms in Ukraine, vast swathes of isolated land very cheap, Savage scale to the farming

I did a couple of harvests in England when I was in college. The company I work for now has an American presence and I've thoughts about going there for a few years (Chicago).

Its grand to travel and see something different, but this slightly damp corner of roscommon will always be home

Agreed on all counts. Gerald Potterton had a bit in the farmers journal this week about tillage farms in Ukraine, vast swathes of isolated land very cheap, Savage scale to the farming

I did a couple of harvests in England when I was in college. The company I work for now has an American presence and I've thoughts about going there for a few years (Chicago).

Its grand to travel and see something different, but this slightly damp corner of roscommon will always be home
a lot of truth in what potterton wrote, tillage farmer with 200 acres wants 400, the lad with 400 wants 800 and so on , its the same with cows but there,s always a bigger fish out there no matter who you are

One thing to consider in countries with low prices is the tax rules. Lots of land being bought with inheritance tax in mind over here, pushing things artificially high maybe?

I know in some countries forigners can't buy land without being in partnership with a local

If you work on a, house 90k, b barns, 20/30k apiece and c land 4k ish per hectare you will have a fair priced farm.
Farm next door is up for sale, sheep cereal farm 2houses many barns and 228 hectares. 1.4 million euros
What about water costs, and taxes. What part of France are you in.

Ok quick guide, young farmers encouraged (under 40), land tax here(29e/h), town water 1.4 e cube but most have their own supply, my electric bill in total 1,100e p/a, diesel at the moment 64cents. Car diesel 1,3e. I'm in the north west of the Limousin on the borders of the Haute Vienne, Vienne and the Charente.
Me wife and 2 kids, income tax don't pay less than 27,500e limit. As farmer pay MSA (national insurance)43% of (cough)profit.
Farm has bought it self and another cottage. Easier if you start with money but I started here as an ex tenant.

How is the weather on a seasonal basis , to what we have here ,as in much drier, and are dept of ag difficult ,

The last 2years the winters have been much wetter than normal and winters a little warmer.
Winter 03/04was the coldest 1 I've had here -20C and not above -5C during the day for about 2weeks and that came after the hot summer of 03 hottest days were 42/43C.
Normal years you have 4 seasons M,A,M spring J,J and A summer, S,O, N autumn D,J,F winter.
Now getting used to feeding 8 months a year. A,M,J and J grass grows well but starts getting dry in July. Make silage in May and feed that summer, hay made for winter. Summers are or have been hot and dry for a few years now.
Cereals are normally finished at the end of July.
The chambre de agriculture are the most helpful folks out here, advice for free, help with the PAC and they do many day visits to farms around here. Sheep days, cattle advice and soil care. DDT are the ones you don't want on your case.

Does anyone remember the post that the guy from La Forge put on the forum about selling the tractor parts or even know the name of his website

Just watched your latest video the French really love a good protest, from the video it looks to have gotten out of hand,from spreading dung to fires and hanging dead rats on doors to tear gas ye had it all

Back