John Deere

Someone did say that to me alright but, no glow plug light illuminates or anything. Not sure it makes any difference to it starting either.
must try again.
No glow,turn on ignition,but push in the key for about 30 seconds ,usually works good enough.

Do you push in the key? The 6820 here was slow to start and put in a geared starter. She starts great now. Before she would crank slowly and sometimes need a jump.
When you say a geared starter do you mean a high speed starter?

Hi All,

Slightly off topic. Have a 6630 for about 3 months and no matter what the ambient temperature or whether or not the tractor has been previously started the screen asks to wait 10 sec for preheat. Also the majority of the time the tractor is cranking for a while then she starts and runs fine with plenty of power. It seems like that she is slow getting fuel. Anyone got any ideas how to resolve this or is it common.

Hi All,

Slightly off topic. Have a 6630 for about 3 months and no matter what the ambient temperature or whether or not the tractor has been previously started the screen asks to wait 10 sec for preheat. Also the majority of the time the tractor is cranking for a while then she starts and runs fine with plenty of power. It seems like that she is slow getting fuel. Anyone got any ideas how to resolve this or is it common.
Modern diesel, ULSD, is damaging rubber pipes on tractors the pipes end up with pinholes that don't allow diesel out, but do allow air in. The diesel leaks back to the tank and the tractor needs to prime itself before it will fire. If this is your issue the tractor will be harder to start the longer it has been left standing. Replacing the rubber pipes will cure it, or fitting a nonreturn valve on the diesel line will also cure it.
Not sure on the preheat.

Hi All,

how long are we talking for it to crank before it starts? any smoke while cranking, as gone says it could possibly be perrished pipes but if shes cranking for a good while id near bet its the pressure relief valve on the common rail, easy enough checked too to see if its leaking

Thanks for the replys.

Fuel lines were replaced when I got the tractor. It can take up to 15/20 sec of cranking without smoke. The she goes as soon as the engine gets fuel. It seems to be that it takes a while to prime. How do you check the pressure relief valve.

Thanks for the replys.

Fuel lines were replaced when I got the tractor. It can take up to 15/20 sec of cranking without smoke. The she goes as soon as the engine gets fuel. It seems to be that it takes a while to prime. How do you check the pressure relief valve.
definitely your pressure relief valve if its taking that long.will get you a picture in the morning,and the picture will explain

Thanks for the replys.

I would try a simple non return valve before trying anything else, cheap fix.

I can hear the pump in the tank working away once the key is turned on
Take the pipe off the filter,the 1 that comes from the tank
Put it into a can and turn the key
If diesel comes out the first time try and measure the quantity
2nd time try it with your finger over the end see if there's pressure

Back