At the mart...

Ozzy wouldnt show off any chape wans ,that he'd be lucky enough to come into possession of.

Sure isn't he always telling us that he buys dear , and sells chape.

He says youd be better off selling in the mart. While he buys there

It
It has worked very well for the sellers, much less interference in the market, it's much more open. It has come against bigger buyers and dealers, who would all have gotten their "turn" before.
It's a balls for buyer and sellers,sold weanlings at special weanling sale last Friday and prices are very good for the top lots but anything less the prices are not great, cattle cannot be judged properly through a camera,some marts are better than others ,I took for bulls home again as was only getting slightly over 2 euro per kg for 400kg continental bulls,its ok for small sales but really buyers are needed ringside! U talk about dealers taking turns well ime they fall out more than take turns.

It's a balls for buyer and sellers,sold weanlings at special weanling sale last Friday and prices are very good for the top lots but anything less the prices are not great, cattle cannot be judged properly through a camera,some marts are better than others ,I took for bulls home again as was only getting slightly over 2 euro per kg for 400kg continental bulls,its ok for small sales but really buyers are needed ringside! U talk about dealers taking turns well ime they fall out more than take turns.

Well these colder days in winter It's nicer to be sitting at home in the kitchen/sitting room/office snug and warm rather than shuffling to stay warm in a mart!!

Special bullock sale in mohill today. Felt a bit inadequate dropping of my handy shorthorn bullocks this morning when everything else seemed to be 550kg+ CH or LM. Looking at it online this afternoon and prices seem to be back a bit compared to what has been quoted for the last few weeks. Plenty of suckler bred feeding bullocks (simmental, aa, he etc) not making €2/kg.

Plenty of finished or near finished bullocks in it. Not making anything more than they'd make in the factory by my reckoning. Only the very odd real fancy ones are making that bit more and I'm guessing that these are the ones that we will see on the journal next week.

Got to say that the online mart is a comfort. We just timed PJ and he's getting through 60 lots an hour at his ease

Last edited:
Special bullock sale in mohill today. Felt a bit inadequate dropping of my handy shorthorn bullocks this morning when everything else seemed to be 550kg+ CH or LM. Looking at it online this afternoon and prices seem to be back a bit compared to what has been quoted for the last few weeks. Plenty of suckler bred feeding bullocks (simmental, aa, he etc) not making €2/kg.

Plenty of finished or near finished bullocks in it. Not making anything more than they'd make in the factory by my reckoning. Only the very odd real fancy ones are making that bit more and I'm guessing that these are the ones that we will see on the journal next week.

Got to say that the online mart is a comfort. We just timed PJ and he's getting through 60 lots an hour at his ease
Big pull back this week by the few buyers. Is this a sign of what's going to happen when the competition is eliminated.

Watching it on the phone on and off (between calvings)
Trade looked so so
The group lots sped it up a bit, it's just finished up shortly after seven.
600 + head
How did you get on.

Last edited:
Watching it on the phone on and off (between calvings)
Trade looked so so
The group lots sped it up a bit, it's just finished up shortly after seven.
600 + head
How did you get on.
Had 2 light shorthorn bullocks 410kg and 430kg that made 820 and 850 and an older shorthorn that was better bred off a limousin and heavier. He was 560kg and made 1180.

That's the last of the shorthorns here now. We have about 30 breeding females off the bull and he left here this time last year.

Had 2 light shorthorn bullocks 410kg and 430kg that made 820 and 850 and an older shorthorn that was better bred off a limousin and heavier. He was 560kg and made 1180.

That's the last of the shorthorns here now. We have about 30 breeding females off the bull and he left here this time last year.
What's the plan for breeding going forward?

What are the shorthorns like out of limousins? Have you any pictures

What's the plan for breeding going forward?
We needed to introduce a bit more milk so we sacrificed a few years and bought a very good quality shorthorn bull to cross on our top producing cows. We did it over 5 years. The majority of the females are still in the herd and breeding. Our top 5 performing and selling weanlings last spring were from cows bred off that bull.

Milk, muscle and the right colour. If we are going to produce some weanlings, we need all of these to produce the best that we can and its very hard to buy good suckler cows whereas if you breed them, the majority that you keep will be successful.

We are crossing them with a CH or LM bull. We need to produce replacements every year but we will use ai from now on.

What are the shorthorns like out of limousins? Have you any pictures
If you go back through my photo the read, you will see some pics. I'll look up my google pics to see if I have any more or can take some pics of the cows or heifers.

They are a nice animal out of LM. Smaller that LM (which suits us), but capable of calving a big calf.

We needed to introduce a bit more milk so we sacrificed a few years and bought a very good quality shorthorn bull to cross on our top producing cows. We did it over 5 years. The majority of the females are still in the herd and breeding. Our top 5 performing and selling weanlings last spring were from cows bred off that bull.

Milk, muscle and the right colour. If we are going to produce some weanlings, we need all of these to produce the best that we can and its very hard to buy good suckler cows whereas if you breed them, the majority that you keep will be successful.

We are crossing them with a CH or LM bull. We need to produce replacements every year but we will use ai from now on.
A proper beef shorthorn is an addition to the maternal side, they have got a bad name as there was a lot of dairy shorthorn breeding about which did very little to improve weanling quality. Is everything to AI or just the replacements?

A proper beef shorthorn is an addition to the maternal side, they have got a bad name as there was a lot of dairy shorthorn breeding about which did very little to improve weanling quality. Is everything to AI or just the replacements?
We ai about 20% of the best cows for replacements. Then we have a pirate CH bull and a gamin limousine bull.

A good beef shorthorn won't damage the beef side of things either. Majority of our shorthorn steers killed u grade at 24 months - helped by good cows of course but there's 50:50 in the genetic make up.

Did you ever give a Belgian blue to your shorthorn cows mucky.

To produce a roan?

We have a couple of weanlings off bb and will have some calves this year too. I was looking at one this morning but she came as a blue. Have a few roans off bb but also some off the CH and LM bulls too.

Back