Do you get your milk tested

Got a few of those snap tests last year. Did a couple on the first tank of milk this year just for a bit of peace of mind.
We supply Lakeland and would sometimes send samples with the milk truck driver for the lab. I think Glanbia can test on the truck.

If they have been milked four days before you put milk into the tank you are safe. Know lads that even chance it after two days and get away with it but too much a gamble in my books
Thanks.
My neighbour got caught out last week, he milked cows for 5 days.

Lucky his insurance covered his ass

Any idgit that doesn't test milk before putting it in the tank needs there head examined unless it's a very small amount and well diluted.
The withdrawel times are guidetimes and not set in stone.it all depends on the cows system to excrete the antibiotics out of her system.depends on how long of a course of treatment , how sick she was , and how good her system was of clearing it out.
Have seen marbocyl there at 36 hours and synulox last up to 100hours plus.even dry cow tubes.
Wouldnt like to be talking to insurance company on a 3rd or 4th occasion.
If in doubt .. test

I heard of a gent who left antibiotics milk into tank ,he sampled and it showed up .It was a big tank and he added the next milking and tested it again but showed again but by the 8 milking added it showed up clear and he then got it collected

Any idgit that doesn't test milk before putting it in the tank needs there head examined unless it's a very small amount and well diluted.
The withdrawel times are guidetimes and not set in stone.it all depends on the cows system to excrete the antibiotics out of her system.depends on how long of a course of treatment , how sick she was , and how good her system was of clearing it out.
Have seen marbocyl there at 36 hours and synulox last up to 100hours plus.even dry cow tubes.
Wouldnt like to be talking to insurance company on a 3rd or 4th occasion.
If in doubt .. test
Why put for example 54 days and 96 hours on cepravin so it’s it’s only a guide?

Not every animal will be clear at the stated withdrawel time .also the opposite can apply, one i have often seen was engemycin was 60 hours (think it has been extended) but gone at 48 hours.
I do believe that we will be made test for antibiotic residue rather than relying on withdrawel times in the future

Thanks.
My neighbour got caught out last week, he milked cows for 5 days.

Lucky his insurance covered his ass
Some dry cow tubes have a longer withdrawal period. I used Noroclox dc which is 96 hour (4 days) . Also cows have to dry for 28 days minimum before milk goes into tank for new lactation.

Anyone notice that dc and some mc tubes are getting hard to get.vets couldnt get ceprevin there 3 week ago.had to get " kefamast " I think it was but it is a bimeda product

It's a bit trickier with robots. I add new cows to the tank on the system first thing in the morning and test with snap test in the evening but if the tanker collects in the afternoon there will most likely be milk in the tank from cows that have not yet been tested. For this reason I give cows 6 days (18-20 milking) before they are allowed into the tank.

Anyone notice that dc and some mc tubes are getting hard to get.vets couldnt get ceprevin there 3 week ago.had to get " kefamast " I think it was but it is a bimeda product
Synulox tubes weren't available here and also was given kefamast instead of bovimast

Another problem is these short gestation bulls. Heard of a farmer and his cows were calving upto 17 days before their due date

Definitely and then these wee light calves appear in the mart when technically there a 7 to 10 days younger than if they went full term

It's a bit trickier with robots. I add new cows to the tank on the system first thing in the morning and test with snap test in the evening but if the tanker collects in the afternoon there will most likely be milk in the tank from cows that have not yet been tested. For this reason I give cows 6 days (18-20 milking) before they are allowed into the

Dont know much about cows and less about robots, but what happens those cows post calving? Does the robot basically milk them and dump the milk and where?

Delvotest at slightly less of a dilution rate than what it would be in the tank.

It's interesting to compare the validation studies for withdrawal periods against the amount required for a positive inhibitor test.

If I've ampoules to use up I'll test daily as an experiment and some remedies would technically be fine for the tank in less than half the stated withdrawal times.

With those specific cows in that specific scenario obviously.

Back