Politics in Ireland

I think Helen mc Entee is great. Not because she's a woman but she works so hard on so many cases. Seems to be a very nice person too

She's just OK, she will do what she is told and do what will make life easiest.

She is trying to push through updated "hate crime "legislation at the moment, not because she believes in it but because that's how the prevailing wind's are blowing, she knows it will make her very popular with the media too and that's always good for a politicians career prospects

The "hate crime " updating will make certain groups completely immune from prosecution and they're more or less pretty immune from the law as it is

She's just OK, she will do what she is told and do what will make life easiest.

She is trying to push through updated "hate crime "legislation at the moment, not because she believes in it but because that's how the prevailing wind's are blowing, she knows it will make her very popular with the media too and that's always good for a politicians career prospects

The "hate crime " updating will make certain groups completely immune from prosecution and they're more or less pretty immune from the law as it is
That's the whole problem with this country to much softness. Its not pc now to be tough on crime tough on welfare fraud, illegal immigration, white collar crime. If anyone speaks out their branded as a racist, but god forgive if your working or contributing to society and make a mistake on your tax returns or such like your nailed to the cross, the minority has the power over the majority. The media also has a lot to answer for in regard to this as well.

Does this include Northern Ireland or just the rep of Ireland?. Coz Iā€™ll need a second mug of coffee before sorting out north iron.

As voters we expect the people that we vote for to act in our best interests. The problem with most current politicians is that they only act in their own best interests.

Politics in this country has become a gravy train. Get in it and it is set up in such a way that even by just 1 term you will be set up for life
I recall Ivan Yates being interviewed one night and was asked the golden rule of politics, his reply, No1 look after your seat. I happened to be on a ferry to Rosslare about the time he was declared bankrupt and went for a walk outside , not many out but he was there and I happened to pass him so said hello and he didn't even reply.

I recall Ivan Yates being interviewed one night and was asked the golden rule of politics, his reply, No1 look after your seat. I happened to be on a ferry to Rosslare about the time he was declared bankrupt and went for a walk outside , not many out but he was there and I happened to pass him so said hello and he didn't even reply.
Ah he just knew you werent in his constituency šŸ˜

Mate of mine has meet mairead mc guinesses on flights over and back to Brussels many times and one 2 occasions been in the same row.said she was very friendly and would always speak if they met passing in the airport

Most politicians are only in it for themselves, sure we had one hairy one down here who decided he wouldn't even have a local office or clinic to keep in touch with his constituents.

Now we have Verona Murphy and she has ruffled a right few feathers in the county and might have been no harm so others wouldn't rest on their laurels.. and knows her stuff on Brexit.

Unfortunately with the whip system too many in parties tow the line and so are gagged. And most of our nominations come from independents. One person who always stood out to me for being not afraid of speaking his own mind was John McGuinness of Kilkenny.

And the same old nonsense goes on local council level as well. A very simple (in my eyes) issue locally and it took Trojan work by a now retired councillor to get something started and then another to finish it.

I did approach a party councillor who fobbed me off and only came back to fob me off when I mentioned it to a close ally, you couldn't make it up but it will be remembered in the ballot box.....

98% of politicians , Run with the fox and hunt with the hound, For an Island the amount of politicians and their advisers salary and expenses is crazy and guess what they are looking for another increase .if this country was run like a business with professional people and if you mess up ur out no big pension. Its easy spending op money and have no concesques. But sure what would I know I'm only a farmer šŸ¤ 

98% of politicians , Run with the fox and hunt with the hound, For an Island the amount of politicians and their advisers salary and expenses is crazy and guess what they are looking for another increase .if this country was run like a business with professional people and if you mess up ur out no big pension. Its easy spending op money and have no concesques. But sure what would I know I'm only a farmer šŸ¤ 

our PR system is a ball5 of a job , it means every constituency TD is constantly looking over their shoulder to see which local populist issue is drawing most attention , as such they prioritise small stuff ahead of important national issue , thats not to say local issues are unimportant but councellors should be dealing with those , not TD,s

first past the post is better

our PR system is a ball5 of a job , it means every constituency TD is constantly looking over their shoulder to see which local populist issue is drawing most attention , as such they prioritise small stuff ahead of important national issue , thats not to say local issues are unimportant but councellors should be dealing with those , not TD,s

The UK has first past the post - hardly better. Most would say it's worse

far away hills and all that.

The brutal reality is we get the politicians we vote for, that's how democracy works. And we vote for bulsh*tters, crooks and cowboys.

But they go to loads of funerals.

I think the biggest issue with paying politicians and their advisers is the pensions. Most will get pension for a lot longer than they are in the job. Pay them well when they are in the job but let them look after their own pensions

no system is perfect but ours results in too much compromise , consensus and fudge
I didn't say it was perfect, I agree it has flaws.

But FPTP is worse. Read the flaws in the link below to the campaign in the UK to change to PR.

No. I couldnt agree with you there, has its benefits certainly but pr-stv is the daddy

With FPTP you end up with a situation of potentially large swathes of the population disenfranchised

For example, 5 candidates, each get the following percentage of the vote

1-22%
2-21%
3-20%
4-18%
5-9%

Number 1 gets elected. No one else, despite only getting 22% of the vote.

So the voices of 78% don't matter. I know thats a very idealised scenario, but with PR, a wider swathe of the population is represented

The Conservative party got something like 60-something percent of the seats last election despite only getting around 45% of the vote.

No. I couldnt agree with you there, has its benefits certainly but pr-stv is the daddy

only one other nation uses it apart from us

malta

single transferable vote

in principle , PR is more democratic , in practice it results in everyone crowding around a consensus , indecisiveness and career fence sitters like MM becoming leader

Back