The reseeding thread

Update, I hadn’t actually seen the job myself the tramline report was coming from the farmer, one of the lads went up yesterday and said it’s not tramlines but the grass is dead in the tracks where the fertiliser spreader travelled

Wouldn't it be better to go and see the field for yourself instead of relying on what a lad said about a lad etc if it's that big of a problem.

The guy that looked at it has 40 years expeirence on me. It’s not a big deal at all now that the situation has been resolved, farmer initially said there was tramlines every run, now he’s saying every 10 metres or so and as said it’s not in line with the drill passes. But yes at the start I was a bit panicked hearing that there was a tramline in every run

Attachments

• IMG_20201006_095646.jpg
    IMG_20201006_095646.jpg
    445.6 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_20201006_095652.jpg
    IMG_20201006_095652.jpg
    520.5 KB · Views: 142
Time for a fence to keep the bastards under control.
I’ve got a grant to fence the river off to stop cattle going in the water,I’m going to fence the public behind the fence,trouble is when it’s wet (like now) they ruin a good 6m of ground,my idea is to roll out some AstroTurf for them to walk on.

Looking at reseeding 6 acres in spring it has one side afair steep hill but rest is level. It has some holes and u even bits too and grass is gone old and mossey and tatchy. So think reseed will be best idea. I have my own 3furrow conventional plough and landleveler and a small grubberand small 8ft bamlett disc harrow. Is ploughing and then two or 3 passes of land leveller my best bet or would getting a heavier set of discs be better? Ive dung already spread on this and hopefully any weeds will b up for me to spray off in spring before i start. Will i be able get first cut silage off new grass sowed in spring?

Looking at reseeding 6 acres in spring it has one side afair steep hill but rest is level. It has some holes and u even bits too and grass is gone old and mossey and tatchy. So think reseed will be best idea. I have my own 3furrow conventional plough and landleveler and a small grubberand small 8ft bamlett disc harrow. Is ploughing and then two or 3 passes of land leveller my best bet or would getting a heavier set of discs be better? Ive dung already spread on this and hopefully any weeds will b up for me to spray off in spring before i start. Will i be able get first cut silage off new grass sowed in spring?
Others on here have more experience than I do but, I would plough, roll, disc and few runs of leveller.

You won't get silage off it for first cut and cutting a newly reseeded field would be a real last measure if it had to be taken.

You mention holes and unevenness, do you think You'll fill these in with the land leveller?

Not major holes but just down trough the years the od dip and unevenness . Ye if ploughed it be easy leveled in with leveler . I take it land levler on hill must b done up the way ? Is plough better job than disc ? Prob best graze off first crop of grass ?

Not major holes but just down trough the years the od dip and unevenness . Ye if ploughed it be easy leveled in with leveler . I take it land levler on hill must b done up the way ? Is plough better job than disc ? Prob best graze off first crop of grass ?
Yes graze the 1st cut off so you get it in line with other cuts.

Lads some lovely looking jobs done here am looking for bits of advice on seed to use .I must do about 15 acres of silage ground 3 cuts low input .I done it with hybrid last time disaster .It is heavish ground ,i take 1 cut mid may weather dependent .I want something that is going to last for ever ,I think diploid seed mainly for ground cover going to disc x3 and then single pass .Have lads any experience with sinclair mcgill or agritech tipp.

Back