Milking 25 cows

Absolutely, slow and steady wins the race.
In ways yes but youthful ambition can get a lot done through hard graft if the interest is there.
I.think most start up business owners work very hard for a period to get things up and running and paying for itself.
Going the extra mile can make a difference. By that I mean putting in the effort yourself rather than hiring others for everything and hoping it works out.
A very large but grounded dairy farmer said that to me recently when chatting about new ventures

Not everyone has the opportunity to swan around the world for a couple of years spending someone else's money and then come back to inherit a ready-made set-up that someone else has put the hard graft into. In an industry that's crying out for fresh blood I think the combination of youthful exuberance and hard graft is something to be admired rather than ridiculed. Wouldn't it be grand to have the donkey work done by the time you were ready to settle a bit, and not have a massive debt hanging over you when trying to rear a young family. There'd also be great satisfaction in having built something for yourself too, rather than having it handed to you.

Not everyone has the opportunity to swan around the world for a couple of years spending someone else's money and then come back to inherit a ready-made set-up that someone else has put the hard graft into. In an industry that's crying out for fresh blood I think the combination of youthful exuberance and hard graft is something to be admired rather than ridiculed. Wouldn't it be grand to have the donkey work done by the time you were ready to settle a bit, and not have a massive debt hanging over you when trying to rear a young family. There'd also be great satisfaction in having built something for yourself too, rather than having it handed to you.
The number of "self made men" in the game who have gotten publicity over the years but conveniently had a home farm and 3 bachelor uncles willing to set them the land is laughable. Not that there is anything wrong with it but it is nice to see an occasional genuine one where its just hard work and a realistic outcome

Last edited:
In ways yes but youthful ambition can get a lot done through hard graft if the interest is there.
I.think most start up business owners work very hard for a period to get things up and running and paying for itself.
Going the extra mile can make a difference. By that I mean putting in the effort yourself rather than hiring others for everything and hoping it works out.
A very large but grounded dairy farmer said that to me recently when chatting about new ventures

Seen it today. Seemed very genuine and very sensible. Hes right to keep out of the bank if he can and hes certainly not afraid of work.
Daragh nearly chocked on his silver spoon during the interview.

Seen it today. Seemed very genuine and very sensible. Hes right to keep out of the bank if he can and hes certainly not afraid of work.
Daragh nearly chocked on his silver spoon during the interview.
I watched it on player last night.
Genuine fellow alright and the story is genuine according to a neighbour of his I spoke to recently. He definitely has nothing to be ashamed of,his place seemed tidy and organised and no one should criticise him for doing things his own way.in my view he cannot go wrong.
He is working for himself rather than for a co op or bank.
Maybe no bragging rights but the saying says what pride comes before....

Back