Covid 19

I see a few hand-painted signs up around the locality in the last couple of days
"LOCKDOWN KILLS"
"NEW NORMAL ME BOLLOCKS"
"IT SEEMS TO BE MORE ABOUT THE VACCINE THAN THE VIRUS"
Another one I only half saw passing that said something about people's birthright and civil liberties being eroded. I fear the wheels are about to come off rightly, the lack of certainty has taken a serious mental toll on people, and it's the one lesson that hasn't been learned. A bit of a plan would make life a lot easier, "if we have X number of cases per day on Y date then Z will happen". It's not a lot to ask at this stage.

Ths waiting on an announcement of any lifting of restrictions is so annoying. Kids off school here today after being off all last week

Ths waiting on an announcement of any lifting of restrictions is so annoying. Kids off school here today after being off all last week
Tough motivating them for another week/month's homeschooling after the break. My lads sixth class teacher seems to want to keep up with his curriculum as if the kids were in his class. Easily four hours work on Seesaw this morning 😭. Oh I have a full time job as well that doesn't switch off at 2.40pm like the teacher's one does.

No what I mean is some teachers work on preparing for the next day or whatever. Just because the school class finishes at a certain time some of them work longer hours. I know some take the piss but I wouldn't say they are all bad

Local man gets up a three o clock in the morning and starts feeding and working with cattle until 9 and then helps the children with their school work . If you met him you would not think he would be the type to do it . It is a big yard with maybe 700 or more cattle and a few other enterprises in it as well . Its the sort of place that has 300 ewes and 1000 lambs bought in on rape as a sidline .

Local man gets up a three o clock in the morning and starts feeding and working with cattle until 9 and then helps the children with their school work . If you met him you would not think he would be the type to do it . It is a big yard with maybe 700 or more cattle and a few other enterprises in it as well . Its the sort of place that has 300 ewes and 1000 lambs bought in on rape as a sidline .
I was always told that if you wanted someone to do something for you, you should ask a busy man.

I thought Donnelly was honest enough on CBL. We can keep blaming the politicians but while we have a shower of eejits acting the mick both here and abroad we are fighting a losing cause. No need to go further than this thread to verify that.

Also no need to compare what's happening in other countries if all were known I think we are coping fairly well. Yes there were mistakes made but hindsight is a virtue.

It might be “ fair going “ if there wasn’t 120K plus deaths from covid there.

i doubt that to be strictly true, it didnt matter what you died of if u tested psoitive for covid it was counted, not a ture reflection. 2 different ways of counting and they were both used depending on effect that was to be shown but in fairness thye are pushing on with offering people the vaccine and getting it done.

i doubt that to be strictly true, it didnt matter what you died of if u tested psoitive for covid it was counted, not a ture reflection. 2 different ways of counting and they were both used depending on effect that was to be shown but in fairness thye are pushing on with offering people the vaccine and getting it done.
As far as I know in the UK a person has to die within on month of being diagnosed for it to be recorded as a covid death. This is not the case in most other countries. Some argue that the numbers in the UK are in fact under reported. There is no doubt the UK have got the vaccination right.

I've been looking back over the 14 day case rate per 100k. it seems to be the best measure of the situation.

Today we're at 338 cases per 100k over the last 14 days.

We peaked at 1535 on the 15th of January.

We got down as low as 78 on the 10th of december and the previous peak in the autumn was 309 on the 27th of October.

Looking at those numbers and patterns you'd have to imagine there's no reason schools couldnt reopen by the end of this month and move to level 4 sometime in march.

Our 14 day case rate at this stage is 240 per 100k, it's falling but not as quickly as the autumn. I think partially seasonality and partially a bit of lockdown fatigue.

The great news is that the effects of the vaccine are already evident, despite the small numbers vaccinated yet, the over 85s are consistently dropping as a percentage of new cases, it is working.

I do think it's a shame that the leaving certs and early primary are not going back until next week, should have been back yesterday. They've missed so much already.

Uk Vaccine approach is a gamble, they are pressing ahead giving people their1st shot, but delaying the 2nd shots in favour of getting more 1st shots done. The logic is some research shows that even a single shot is giving some level of protection, the risk is that in a two shot programme, having a delayed 2nd shot can mean that the person won’t actually become fully vaccinated. It’s a calculated risk, hopefully for their sake it will work

Excess mortality graphs for Ireland and the UK

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210223_124802_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210223_124802_com.android.chrome.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 53
  • Screenshot_20210223_124814_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210223_124814_com.android.chrome.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 53
Uk Vaccine approach is a gamble, they are pressing ahead giving people their1st shot, but delaying the 2nd shots in favour of getting more 1st shots done. The logic is some research shows that even a single shot is giving some level of protection, the risk is that in a two shot programme, having a delayed 2nd shot can mean that the person won’t actually become fully vaccinated. It’s a calculated risk, hopefully for their sake it will work
I heard a bit on some news programme or other this morning that they are going against the advice of one of the pharma companies with their delayed 2nd shot strategy and there's a possibility that the efficacy won't be as high as it would be were the 2nd shot given within the recommended time.

Back