What tractor should I buy?

both the 390t and the 398 share the same engine" perkins 236" std 390 had a 248 engine 398 had lift assisters but so had some of the 390ts .main difference was the heavy duty back axle on the 398 but all that was was a extra disc in each of the trumpet housing making the axle 4 inches wider

both the 390t and the 398 share the same engine" perkins 236" std 390 had a 248 engine 398 had lift assisters but so had some of the 390ts .main difference was the heavy duty back axle on the 398 but all that was was a extra disc in each of the trumpet housing making the axle 4 inches wider
Was it price that saw the 390t more popular?
Odd that the 398 never sold many then the 390t came along and sold well.

I think the problem with the 398 was either the 698 or the 298 bad a bad reputation and that's why the 398 never sold well
Yep the original 698 tarnished the '98 designation.
Same as the 595 before it and the 1080 before that again.

It might also have been that the 590, 290, 690 and 390 were very popular farmers tractors, and when lads went to buy a 390, the 390T for very little extra money but 10 more hp was a very small leap to make.

The 698t was a super tractor.
The 390t earned a great following I believe as a result of how good the 698t was but it didn’t have a cab that rusted for fun!!
It was also much lower so suited so many more small sheds!!
398 was I believe the same back end as a 399 and same engine as a 390t.
398 had hook linkage as standard and as KV says had assistor as standard.
I have had a 390t and it was faultless while I had it But if looking today I’d have a 6255/65 IF you want a double bale lifter.

The 698t was a super tractor.
The 390t earned a great following I believe as a result of how good the 698t was but it didn’t have a cab that rusted for fun!!
It was also much lower so suited so many more small sheds!!
398 was I believe the same back end as a 399 and same engine as a 390t.
398 had hook linkage as standard and as KV says had assistor as standard.
I have had a 390t and it was faultless while I had it But if looking today I’d have a 6255/65 IF you want a double bale lifter.
We had a 6265 think it left in 09 was very happy with it.
how about the op stretched the budget to 20/21K and went for a 4260/4270 think it might suit his work better with the double bale handler much nicer tractor cab, space for a passenger don’t seem to rust as much as the 300’s... and they seem to be going up in price aswell so should be an investment aswell. and there has to be a better choice than just looking for a 390T.

Any of ye lads any experience of the landini vision 105 they seem to be good value but dont know much about them dont know anyone who has one

Good tractor, try and get manual lift though and preferably manual shuttle. Nicer cab than a Blizzard.

Have a vision 105 here at home 06 heading for 8000 hrs . Tractor has been pretty much flawless . It`s got a few bits done to it but nothing you would`nt expect in a tractor with a loader that`s not spared especially on loader work . Light tractor on the backend counter weight for loader work and a much more stable tractor . Handles a 9 ft mounted mower with ease , Draw`s 15 bales of silage for the summer on a trailer not the fastest but tips away . Have the power shuttle gearbox never seen a spanner . There a modern version of 390 in my opinion . Simple engine to work on with limited electric`s . Would take a 4wd vision 105 over a 4wd 390 with a loader anyday . Only gripe with the landini is a poor oil pump loader speed is slow compared to similar tractor`s of it`s time . Possibly even the 390 would be faster .
Any of ye lads any experience of the landini vision 105 they seem to be good value but dont know much about them dont know anyone who has one

The electrics in the power shuttle models aren't as robust as more mainstream brands.

That being said, the control solenoids are all external in a block under the LH cab door and are easily removed/replaced and are where most of the issues occur.

Dry shuttle model is more akin to a modern day 390 type tractor.

Probably would be but can give more trouble as I understand it.

Massey6480 gave a good summary there of their capabilities

Where they are better than a 390 is grip and the range's on a separate lever. Why MF put such a stupid set up on an otherwise excellent tractor I don't know.

We have a blizzard and a 9880. If upgrading or changing, we would be looking for either a mythos or a vision, but we have little reason to chnage from what we have and are very happy.

Back