The reseeding thread

Lads some lovely looking jobs done here am looking for bits of advice on seed to use .I must do about 15 acres of silage ground 3 cuts low input .I done it with hybrid last time disaster .It is heavish ground ,i take 1 cut mid may weather dependent .I want something that is going to last for ever ,I think diploid seed mainly for ground cover going to disc x3 and then single pass .Have lads any experience with sinclair mcgill or agritech tipp.

I used Sinclair McGill Castle Hill on a 6 acre field 15 or 16 years ago . It's still a lovely field of grass . It is cut for silage once , and grazed by young stock for the rest of the year . It was more that I drifted away from the agent , that I havent used it since .

The lad that I get minerals and grass seed from now is an Agritech agent , which is the Tipperary brand . Tipperary 4 A would be very popular around here , but I think that there's too much clover in it . I sowed 4 the last time . I thought that it had no clover in it , but there is clover present, so maybe it's clover at half rate compared to the 4A .
Your system would need a different mixture to either of these I imagine.

25 years ago we used nothing but Sinclair McGill castle hill,rep died and was never replaced so we went onto barenbrug cut n graze,I’d say castle hill lasts longer.

Lads some lovely looking jobs done here am looking for bits of advice on seed to use .I must do about 15 acres of silage ground 3 cuts low input .I done it with hybrid last time disaster .It is heavish ground ,i take 1 cut mid may weather dependent .I want something that is going to last for ever ,I think diploid seed mainly for ground cover going to disc x3 and then single pass .Have lads any experience with sinclair mcgill or agritech tipp.
Do you know Nicolas leen?

Went for a spin about the land and stopped up in the reseed. Have to say it's doing well and it's the cleanest reseed we have done on the farm. Well chuffed with it
Walked mine today, nearly too much cover on it, had to spray it for chickweed and it has taken the clover which is a pity as it had great clover.
IMG_20210222_160657.jpg

Nice pick on it now all the same. Will you graze it? Id say at this point we mow ours for silage
I'm hoping to get a share of yearlings on it in a few weeks if I can get suitable out of the marts although if it dried up I could put 2 yr olds on it. If I have it grazed before the beginning of April it will be included in the silage crop.

hopefully doing s bit of reseeding here. Will be undersowing it with corn, the soil sample is away and i have yet to get my grasseed but the corn is booked. What would be the best way to get the grass of to a good start and hopefully not have too may weeds. My aim for corn is to have a good root structure to allow me to bale it most likely before it is at chese stage as this is wet ground and it is more the grass that I am aiming to cut early and deal with weeds, can add clover later in year but dont want to have to hit it heavy with spray.

Last reseeded 11 years ago and was ploughed deep this time being ploughed witha 12" not a 16", current grass has roots about 4inches long but it was badly tracked/marked last year at 2nd cut which i dont intend doing again. normally aim to cut mid-late may with no N left and it is still good enough quailty in mid june if i have to wait for weather but when it lodges it is a mess.

Any tips

Dont sow more than 50kg to the acre of corn

that is what we have booked or slightly less given as we have just over 7 acres. will it do anyharm to cut it a bit earlier if i think the weather will break and i have a suitable window

that is what we have booked or slightly less given as we have just over 7 acres. will it do anyharm to cut it a bit earlier if i think the weather will break and i have a suitable window
Doubt it
Remember your goal is the grass, do whatever to maximize the long term grass survival

Often sowed grass along with spring barley. Cut back of the barley seed abit and don't be afraid of putting on plenty of grass seed. It usually takes 13-15weeks to get the barley to that cheesy stage. If you leave it too long animals won't digest it well and cut to early and all you will have is bags of water. We usually spray for weeds and leave it so after that. You will have savage feeding if you do it right. When you open the bales you nearly be drunk. Just watch for rats around them as they tend to go mad for it

I don't think the feeding is that good in arable silage as the animal has to eat all the straw.its nice in appearance and rats really love it so use it quickly

I don't think the feeding is that good in arable silage as the animal has to eat all the straw.its nice in appearance and rats really love it so use it quickly
It's not really straw, though, not like you'd have after cutting corn. The stems are still green and there's not a huge amount of indigestible fibres in it.

Looking to get a bit of grass seed direct drilled into stubbles in the Cahir area.

Does anyone know of a contractor with a suitable machine in the area and how much per acre should I be expecting to pay?

Have a few acres to reseed. Is it a bit early yet or when is the ideal time to get going if there is such a thing.

New PPI is out which includes a useful new trait - a grazing score. It reflects how well utilised the various varieties are.
Would that not be down to how hard a guy pushes their cows to graze out? Or are they seen some varieties more sweeter for cows?

Back