hedgecutting

Do you find yourself having to pressurise the slew ram regularly when your cutting if your not using the auto reset

I only got it the other day i haven't done anything with it yet have to do a few hours sat just messing with it in the yard

went out this eve for an hour didn't turn anything on seems to slew back a bit,but not under any major pressure just running along a heavy piece of a ditch.
There is check valves on the main valve block or there was on older ones, presume they are still the same. If it were these when the arm went back it would probably be sort of floppy, if you stopped it would come back forward or swing about it. With ram seals weeping once it had gone back its more likely to hold that position as the ram still contains the same amount of oil just its gone from one side of the piston to the other. When auto reset is switched on it connects lift ram to slew ram so lift ram pressure is then transfered to the slew to hold it forward, the other side the slew ram then dumps back to tank so therefore losing the oil out of the lift ram.

3rd button from the bottom right with the 2 arrows what happens when you press it if your in the transport position does it slee around to the work position
You didn't happen to press the 4th button from bottom right by any chance, if the machine had a float system you will enable it with the 4th button and the arm will want to drop to the ground.

The 800's are prone to bounce a bit going over the treads, anyway it allowed me to leave a 'corrugated' finish on this, am i the only one who's nervous doing this type of hedge waiting for it grab and rip a chunk out??:oops:
IMG_0187.JPG

The 800's are prone to bounce a bit going over the treads, anyway it allowed me to leave a 'corrugated' finish on this, am i the only one who's nervous doing this type of hedge waiting for it grab and rip a chunk out??:oops:
View attachment 86412
I know the feeling and with the 1.6 head its more inclined to grab it and then you have some hole made, definitely a place for sharp flails.

It's a real problem. Recently Fingal county council bought a small farm close to rogerstown estuary. They knocked every hedgerow and mature tree on the place, bulldozed the ground and now a huge amount of top soil is going directly into the estuary. It's some mess and all in the name of a coastal walk they are creating.

There are a lot of inaccuracies in that and quoting an independent hedgerow expert . We rent a field and there is a 3.5km internal hedge with.5km of a roadside hedge but the idiots judge the hedge on the.5km of hedge that is flailed for road safety purposes. I will admit to being as pure as a reformed whore when it comes to hedges .
The middle of the field pays for the edges of the field and the environmentalists cannot show me how to live off blackberries and crab apples. I have forgotten more about the environment than they know. They have their eye on the BPS money and still want cheap food.

There are a lot of inaccuracies in that and quoting an independent hedgerow expert . We rent a field and there is a 3.5km internal hedge with.5km of a roadside hedge but the idiots judge the hedge on the.5km of hedge that is flailed for road safety purposes. I will admit to being as pure as a reformed whore when it comes to hedges .
The middle of the field pays for the edges of the field and the environmentalists cannot show me how to live off blackberries and crab apples. I have forgotten more about the environment than they know. They have their eye on the BPS money and still want cheap food.
I put it up for a bit of reaction as I thought it a very one sided article, a lot of reading before you even look at some of the links. Even the start of the article is a bit of nonsense as anyone knows that elders do nothing for a hedge only create gaps and smother out the hedge "Moran says that one of the hedgerows planted by MJ’s mother in the mid-1960s is “absolutely stunning”, with thick tight thorn bushes flanked every few metres with elders that “come out in this beautiful canopy where you’ll find the cows” seeking shade on a hot day and taking shelter in a downpour."

Last edited:
Surely cleaning around fences would be allowed in march livestock/security/safety. I always give a quick run in feb but there is 0 chance of said fields being fit this week.

Back