The grazing season

I'm not sure if this is the correct thread or not but I'm curious as to what peoples opinions are on grazing fodder crops?, we always put in a paddock of rape to graze heifers and to start calved cows off in the spring before grass, it would only be 3 or 4 acres and we have enough cubicles and straw bedding for housing so were not outwintering animals on it or anything, the only issue I have is Things can get messy in wet conditions and your tying up potential grazing ground. Its always worked well for us but were wondering is it worth it

I'm not sure if this is the correct thread or not but I'm curious as to what peoples opinions are on grazing fodder crops?, we always put in a paddock of rape to graze heifers and to start calved cows off in the spring before grass, it would only be 3 or 4 acres and we have enough cubicles and straw bedding for housing so were not outwintering animals on it or anything, the only issue I have is Things can get messy in wet conditions and your tying up potential grazing ground. Its always worked well for us but were wondering is it worth it
i personally hate the sight of cattle grazing fodder crops in winter, did it in 2018 the year of the fodder shortage and i still have nightmares about it, got me out of a hole that year but by the time i paid the psychiatrist it ended up expensive :smile:

haha thanks for your reply. your not wrong about that. when you go for them to bring them in the evening and see them standing in sh!t I often think what am I at. Were thinking we might give it a skip next year and see how we get on. like I say its only small acreage and usually heifers grazing it by day only so I think well do fine without it

Great to see something out grazing this weather

Attachments

• IMG_20201231_140420.jpg
    IMG_20201231_140420.jpg
    260.6 KB · Views: 161
Are they the whooper swans from Norway ,They also migrate to some local mostly marshy ground and return to the same ground year in year out and there is no talking to them to keep out

I don't know what breed they are but thankfully theres only them few left. 3/4 of them left a week or so ago.they ate a world of grass and regularly hit the power lines and blow the fuse.esb put up reflectors on the lines for us.fecking nuisance when power goes at milking time

Have 1000 kgs liveweight per ha grazing, with a demand of around 30kgs dm per day per ha. Wont put anymore out for 2 weeks depending on weather. must get first of the fert on this week, grazed too hard in the back end on some land :sad:

I don't know what breed they are but thankfully theres only them few left. 3/4 of them left a week or so ago.they ate a world of grass and regularly hit the power lines and blow the fuse.esb put up reflectors on the lines for us.fecking nuisance when power goes at milking time
There more than likely wooper yes. There about here on a few different farms, they eat some grass. Local lad here has some guy coming every 2 weeks to count them for bird watch Ireland highest was up to 180 at a time could be down to 90. They should be heading back home again soon

Is your grassland the heavier area of your farm? The 110 is still a mighty machine.
No not all. Sopose be close to 50/50 split. Tillage ground be a mix aswell. Ya the case is out at slurry duties so took her out. Will soon want tyres on her doh

We let out 18 yearling heifers , mixture of Fr and Lm , on to silage ground today .
I needed a place to put cows that are still a bit away from calving. And keep the milkers separate.

Back