Factory Prices General thread

Again, when the processors absorb that subsidy, what good is that?

I'd be a believer in CAP as a means of what it was intended to do - ensure a constant supply of high quality food, and protect against weather related and other market shocks, not to solve imbalances in the market.

That's not quite the process.

CO2 is taken in by grass. Cattle take in the grass, among which is CO2, and water , H2O.

CO2 + 2(H2O) >>> CH4 + O2 (Methane and oxygen)

Methane is a far more potent GHG than CO2. It contributes to the green house effect alongside CO2 in much the same manner, but pound for pound it is 28 times worse.

This is the reason why I am coming to the conclusion that the future of slurry is slurry dryers and AD. AD would means we could replace natural gas with biomethane, and as I posted last week, stop the talks of reducing the national herd because now they would be a part of the electricity supply. We would at least be getting rid of our CO2 emissions from gas, and as the reaction I posted above is reverseable, (I haven't done chemistry since I was in school so may be open to correction), that methane and oxygen would eventually change back into CO2 and water again, reabsorbed by the grass, and the cycle begins again.

Anyways, all that is irrelevant, the crux of what I was getting at is the fact the French farmers get 10.81% more than we do. Why don't we focus on why we are being dry rode by the processors instead of trying to prove the scientists wrong.

View attachment 88686
I read that you didn't want to debate the carbon footprint of Beef, but still you are pedaling the usual tropes that big business have sold to you. There is very little point in debating this here, if someone as pro farming as you believes the above, we are F#€£€D FROM ON HIGH

Again, when the processors absorb that subsidy, what good is that?

Why don't we focus on why we are being dry rode by the processors instead of trying to prove the scientists wrong.
I thought that was the purpose of the so called Taskforce, Grant Thornton reports etc, yet they are being hoodwinked by MII

I read that you didn't want to debate the carbon footprint of Beef, but still you are pedaling the usual tropes that big business have sold to you. There is very little point in debating this here, if someone as pro farming as you believes the above, we are F#€£€D FROM ON HIGH
That's up to you, I've come to my own concensus on this. It wasn't big business, I did this in college. The lecturer in question was very fair and open minded on the whole topic

Even the pro farming side of it would still admit methane as a GHG is an issue. Separate to CO2, but an issue nonetheless.

We're getting side tracked here, nobody is addressing the Franco/Hiberno price differences.

That's up to you, I've come to my own concensus on this. It wasn't big business, I did this in college. The lecturer in question was very fair and open minded on the whole topic

Even the pro farming side of it would still admit methane as a GHG is an issue. Separate to CO2, but an issue nonetheless.

We're getting side tracked here, nobody is addressing the Franco/Hiberno price differences.
Alright then lets go there, even if you are ruining my evening and destroying my faith in 3rd level education.
The Methane emissions from ruminant animals is basically the same as it was 10 years ago, 50yrs ago, 100yrs ago, 500yrs ago, 1,000yrs ago and 5,000yrs ago, but suddenly it is what is causing all the issues, give me a break.
Methane is not 28 times more warming than CO2, again this is just a trope sold to you by big business, methane is short lived and breaks down and over it's life is only marginally more warming than CO2 and ruminants are not adding extra Methane to our atmosphere they are only releasing similar amounts as are breaking down from previously released methane.
Grass is Ireland's biggest carbon sink.
Grass is Ireland's biggest producer of Oxygen.
Grass is Ireland's biggest digestor of CO2.
Farming is not the Issue, but having to write this has F#€£€D me right off, I need a drink as I am so depressed for the future, J.H.C. it is not rocket science, global warming only started when we started to dig up 3.5 Billion years of Carbon and burnt it, how can anyone not get this ??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Last edited:
Alright then lets go there, even if you are ruining my evening and destroying my faith in 3rd level education.
Methane emissions from ruminant animals is basically the same as it was 10 years ago, 50yrs ago, 100yrs ago, 500yrs ago, 1,000yrs ago and 5,000yrs ago, but suddenly it is what is causing all the issues, give me a break.
Methane is not 28 times more warming than CO2, again this is just a trope sold to you by big business, methane is short lived and breaks down and over it's life is only marginally more warming than CO2 and ruminants are not adding extra Methane to our atmosphere they are only releasing similar amounts as are breaking down from previously released methane.
Farming is not the Issue, but having to write this has F#€£€D me right off, I need a drink as I am so depressed for the future, J.HC. it is rocket science, global warming warm started when we started to dig up 3.5 Billion years of Carbon and burnt it, how can anyone not get this???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
Stop beating around the bush and tell us what you really think

Do we not have to pay to get our beef onto mainland europe. I assume transport is a real cost
We do but the French get this on the home market
Methane emissions from ruminant animals is basically the same as it was 10 years ago, 50yrs ago, 100yrs ago, 500yrs ago, 1,000yrs ago and 5,000yrs ago, but suddenly it is what is causing all the issues, give me a break.
Farming is not the Issue, but having to write this has F#€£€D me right off, I need a drink as I am so depressed for the future, J.H.C. it is not rocket science, global warming only started when we started to dig up 3.5 Billion years of Carbon and burnt it, how can anyone not get this ??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
Stocking rates are far more intense now, that's a given, particularly so dairy cows.

If you had a drafty house, with a pane of glass broke and a hole in the roof, more is getting out the hole in the roof, but the glass is still an issue. You didn't notice the glass cracked first because your fire was able to compensate. Now you have both, you have a problem. This is our scenario now with glass cracked being methane and the hole in the roof being co2.

Now we have both we have to fix at least one one, so primarily we should tackle the hole in the roof, but it doesn't mean the hole in the window isn't an issue any more. By making small patches to the hole in the window (AD) and fixing the hole in the roof outright (co2 reidction through whatever means you like), we're now better off than before.

Pour yourself a drink. Relax for the night. We're on different wavelengths. We built our sheds to suit the tractor, I guess it's a yin yang thing

Stocking rates are far more intense now, that's a given, particularly so dairy cows.

If you had a drafty house, with a pane of glass broke and a hole in the roof, more is getting out the hole in the roof, but the glass is still an issue. You didn't notice the glass cracked first because your fire was able to compensate. Now you have both, you have a problem. This is our scenario now with glass cracked being methane and the hole in the roof being co2.

Now we have both we have to fix at least one one, so primarily we should tackle the hole in the roof, but it doesn't mean the hole in the window isn't an issue any more. By making small patches to the hole in the window (AD) and fixing the hole in the roof outright (co2 reidction through whatever means you like), we're now better off than before.

Pour yourself a drink. Relax for the night. We're on different wavelengths. We built our sheds to suit the tractor, I guess it's a yin yang thing
And all this while they demolish rain forest to produce beef to ship it half way around the world, carbon me arse.

There were more bison in America when first settled then there are cattle now. Your arguments here seem to be both infantile and condensing at the same time, which is a hell of an achievement

And all this while they demolish rain forest to produce beef to ship it half way around the world, carbon me arse.
Even this is just distraction tactics, the Amazon rainforest gives me the right to 2 foreign holidays, heating my home to 20 degrees, to use and abuse plastic, be wasteful beyond our grandparents comprehension, drive 2 vehicles, use many electronic devices, store vast quantities of info in the cloud, etc.

I did say at the top of that post they were not my views, it was how it could be perceived by the public, and was not an argument against farming but an argument against the finishing payment.
There were more bison in America when first settled then there are cattle now. Your arguments here seem to be both infantile and condensing at the same time, which is a hell of an achievement
I don't really see that at all but I never called anyone a bull shitter.

I did say at the top of that post they were not my views, it was how it could be perceived by the public, and was not an argument against farming but an argument against the finishing payment.

I don't really see that at all but I never called anyone a bull shitter.
you,re right to put up the alternative arguments even if i mightn,t agree with them , how else can we try to educate non farming consumers if all we hear is our side of the arguments, its like putting an ad in the journal saying we produce the best food in the world ,preaching to the converted

A little light reading for those who still don't get that global warm is linked totally and absolutely to our use and abuse of 3.5 billion years of buried Carbon.

you,re right to put up the alternative arguments even if i mightn,t agree with them , how else can we try to educate non farming consumers if all we hear is our side of the arguments, its like putting an ad in the journal saying we produce the best food in the world ,preaching to the converted
You're the first person to get what I was putting across.

Thank you.

A little light reading for those who still don't get that global warm is linked totally and absolutely to our use and abuse of 3.5 billion years of buried Carbon.
But you cant stop joe public having their 2 holidays a year in the sun

Coal is the poster boy for environmental destruction since the 1980's yet peak production is in 2019 (!!)
Have you comparable graphs for livestock numbers, I bet they flatten the curve, baby.

Back