New Holland Dealer Change

You know when you are paying for diesel in the shop and there is the big selection of chocolate bars, crisps and other stuff you didn’t really intend on buying but every now and again you will say feck it and chuck something that is to hand on the counter.

You didn’t go to buy a piece of confectionery but it was there. Well it is a similar reason a salesperson will drop in or give you a call. You had no intention of buying a new machine but a conversation might mean you do. It also helps with dealers estimate stock orders etc so the factory knows how much it needs to make of each machine.

My wife sells advertising. If she sat and waited for the phone to ring or an email to come in then she would sell a hell of a lot less. By being proactive and getting in touch with people she can do more business.

And that is the nub of it. Yes the dealer needs you as a customer, but they are not working for you, they are working to make money.
It can a hard balancing act for dealers, I partly fall into all 3 of your earlier categories, I like to have made made up my what brand and model I want, I like to be dealer loyal, but will always shop around.
My last 2 deals show it can be hard for dealers to read what is going on, but they do need to return calls and chase up calls even if they think there is nothing coming of it, but sometimes farmers can be hard to deal with including myself.
In June '19 I said to the dealer that my 6490 was coming up for replacement in the short while and a neighbour was interested in buying it off me, so could he price a 7719S for me, heard nothing for a couple months so asked him again, still nothing. About this time last year my neighbour's tractor started to give serious bother, between March & April I rang 7 times, changed to 7720S to facilitate the dealer, but didn't get a price, I almost bought a NH T7.230 AC and ended up buying a 2nd hand 7720S.

Autumn '19 I needed to replace my KV plough & Packomat, I kept jumping between an ES85, an EG90 and an EG100, the dealer gave me a price very quickly on all the options above, but I kept changing my mind between the ploughs. I was talking to friend in the purchasing group and he was also trying to buy a plough, so we started to try buy 2 ploughs, this caused even more messing on our side, the dealer was very good even when we kept changing our minds over the 15/6 months. We missed out on a pair of very good value ploughs that were in stock because we couldn't make up our mind.

Last edited:
It can a hard balancing act for dealers, I partly fall into all 3 of your earlier categories, I like to have made made up my what brand and model I want, I like to be dealer loyal, but will always shop around.
My last 2 deals show it can be hard for dealers to read what is going on, but they do need to return calls and chase up calls even if they think there is nothing coming of it, but sometimes farmers can be hard to deal with including myself.
In June '19 I said to the dealer that my 6490 was coming up for replacement in the short while and a neighbour was interested in buying it off me, so could he price a 7719S for me, heard nothing for a couple months so asked him again, still nothing. About this time last year my neighbour's tractor started to give serious bother, between March & April I rang 7 times, changed to 7720S to facilitate the dealer, but didn't get a price, I almost bought a NH T7.230 AC and ended up buying a 2nd hand 7720S.

Autumn '19 I needed to replace my KV plough & Packomat, I kept jumping between an ES85, an EG90 and an EG100, the dealer gave me a price very quickly on all the options above, but I kept changing my mind between the ploughs. I was talking to friend in the purchasing and he was also trying to buy a plough, so we started to try buy 2 ploughs, this caused even more messing on our side, the dealer was very good even when we kept changing our minds over the 15/6 months. We missed out on a pair of very good value ploughs that were in stock because we couldn't make up our mind.
These things happen sometimes, dealers have a lot going on, I saw that myself when the dealer assumed I was leaning one way, I assumed he knew I was leaning a different way, wires got crossed and I missed out on a tractor of yours. We were both at fault and it wouldn't stop me dealing there again, indeed I bought a different machine there since.

It can a hard balancing act for dealers, I partly fall into all 3 of your earlier categories, I like to have made made up my what brand and model I want, I like to be dealer, but will always shop around.
Did the dealer give you a reason why they couldn't give you a straight deal price on the tractor you were looking for? Did you buy your 2nd tractor ftom the same dealer? I have to say if there wasn't a good reason for them to not quote you (manufacturers changing spec/offers) I would have looked elsewhere.

Did the dealer give you a reason why they couldn't give you a straight deal price on the tractor you were looking for? Did you buy your 2nd tractor ftom the same dealer? I have to say if there wasn't a good reason for them to not quote you (manufacturers changing spec/offers) I would have looked elsewhere.
A few weeks after I had bought the 7720S I rang him again about the plough deal, his first comment when I said hello was, "I'm still working on a price for that tractor, but I'm having trouble with your spec", had to tell him it was too little too late. I bought the 7720S off another MF dealer, but the 2 plough were bought in the local dealers. With the new dealership, building new workshop, parts department and sales building, opening a new premises and a few family occasions, my tractor quotes fell through the cracks, as @TAFKAT says above, these things happen and it wouldn't stop me dealing there again.

I assume it T.O.N?He's a very good mechanic. There are a lot of case tractors around us in ballinasloe and he supplied the majority of them new or second hand and the vast majority go back to him for servicing and any repairs. I saw him recently call to a friend of mine who is a mechanic to look at an old case tractor that he just couldn't get the problem right. He advised him of the fix in minutes and wouldn't take any money.
Not T O’Neill. P&D Agri. They used to work for O’Neill before he went into liquidation

Yes, but they would have to come through another dealer I assume and they taking a margin for the privilege. When contracts are terminated, and communication seems to have broken down, things maybe completely different
You're right though the dealer wouldn't have to be in this country and the lad selling the parts here would have to be competitive on price or else he wouldn't have much point in sourcing them. I'd say the manufacturer mightn't be too happy but in one instance I have first hand experience of I find it difficult to believe they don't know what is happening.

I priced tractors in shaws over the Christmas period. Found them shocking expensive for new tractors. Lyons and Burton were far better priced by a mile

I know someone pricing around at the moment and he was told by shaws they couldn't get the tractor, I'm wondering if they are going to pull out before feb 2022, interesting to see what they say in next week's journal.

Another one
If they'd put a decent sized set of front wheels on and had a good dealer you'd never know what they could do in this country. Only so long you can keep starting from scratch on payments for a new tractor along with your old one as a trade in.
But when you think on it a companies performance is about increasing revenue in money terms not units of tractors so its the only safe way to do that is to just put the price up every year.
This is going to end up like it did in the 80s in the US, going to end up with a lot of bankrupt ag companies.

The only time you want to see a machinery dealer in your yard is to value your trade in after you spoke to him in his office / yard & once you know and he knows there is a good potential of a deal being done....
Sold over half my trade-ins via pictures,all were sold before making into onto the dealers website.
But who makes the first move on a new purchase - the dealer calling or the customer picking up the phone. Would you be equally annoyed with him if he turned up in the yard to say they had some deal on a machine and he has a customer for your trade in.

People still like to buy off people. Twenty years ago a rep for one of the tractor makes told me “a third of customers will stick with the dealer, a third will stay with the brand while the last third will shop around”. It’s as true now as it was then.
I know when I want to purchase so I contact the relevant dealer,I’m not interested in giving a rep a brew and listening to sales crap.

Covid has shown how little we need reps,many won’t be replaced I’m sure as business has gone on fine without them.

Just too add to a very interesting read, jim murnane in kinsale rd cork was a ford/new holland dealer, they moved to little island then but i think they're gone now are they?

Just too add to a very interesting read, jim murnane in kinsale rd cork was a ford/new holland dealer, they moved to little island then but i think they're gone now are they?
not around anymore. plenty of tm's still about with Jim's name on them. would have to go to johnny mc and gordon sullivan if you want a new holland now down this side of the city

Was there a shortens a main new holland dealer down there too at one point?
In ballineen. Not much left of the place anymore. It rather looks desolate compared to lynch & McCarthy's up the road. but the garage is flat out still and might sell the odd tractor as far as we are aware

Wasn't there leahy and O Mahony as well in east cork? Is that where the new cfm place is?

In ballineen. Not much left of the place anymore. It rather looks desolate compared to lynch & McCarthy's up the road. but the garage is flat out still and might sell the odd tractor as far as we are aware
You’ll be right there , not what they used to be , recession hit them hard

Reactions: c4l
Would Leahy & O Mahoney have been very active in buying tractors for export , say in the eighties , Ford 5000s etc ?
Im not sure, they had a lovely 7840 though that i really wanted.. Old man had Other ideas..

Leahy and O Mahony would have been into plant sales, particularly JCB, and would always be buying/selling and exporting 3cx's
I would think they cant be far off retired now

Leahy and o'mahony weren't involved a big lot in export . They retired about 4 yrs ago the last of the founders died last yr .mostly jcb stuff they delt with in the end .one of the brothers bought a 530 70 from them

Would Leahy & O Mahoney have been very active in buying tractors for export , say in the eighties , Ford 5000s etc ?
James Leahy and Mick O Mahoney started in a small building in Cloyne village doing up Dextas and Majors imported from England. They would give them a test run up the Kilva hill road which runs past the home farm. As a boy l'd see them most days at full pelt, the wind blowing in their hair giving them a wild look (no cabs then)
and l recall my father and grandfather giving out about them going too fast.
They became successful and in the mid 70's moved to a new bigger premises at Churchtown North near Midleton.
Whenever my father had to go there for parts etc l would always go so l could check out the long lines of 4,5 & 7000's and later 66's & 76's. They must have brought in thousands of them over the years.
They were 99% Ford but you'd see the occasional MF there and in the 90's started on the JCB stuff right in time for the start of the building boom later in that decade.
At their peak l'd say there must have been a dozen or more working there.
They probably did export some of their trade ins to Africa etc but l am not sure on that. They were really importers of tractors l would have said.

My father would hire a tractor from them in the busy springtime period and over the years bought 3 tractors from them, a MF 178, a Ford 5000 and loader, and a MF 575. Here they are.
(@Soissons a blast from the past)
1615798003943719304670.jpg
16157977609861777496637.jpg
20170830_143743.jpg

Last edited:
Back