Restoration/ Refurbs

Would guys go to the extreme of new tyres on a refurbished tractor if what was on her was ok but had two odd yokes on the back?
Probably yes but only if the owner wanted as for example, the tyres on this 240 are all perished and the rims are rotten which is why is suggested to the owner that it would nearly be wiser to just buy a new set of wheels off fred Clarke or conaty but he wants to use the ones that are on it till they give out. But yes I probably would because it's little things like odd wheels that drive me mad on a tractor.

You might pick up a matching pair of half worn second hands, I wouldn’t be a fan of odd tyres on a refurb.
I dont know why anyone would leave it tyres or wheels on a tractor they refurb. Just ruins the look of the tractor

I dont know why anyone would leave it tyres or wheels on a tractor they refurb. Just ruins the look of the tractor
It’d be the other option short of new wheels and tyres. Some of those new 28 inch rims are pure dirt, soft as tinfoil and can be slightly egg shaped.

It’d be the other option short of new wheels and tyres. Some of those new 28 inch rims are pure dirt, soft as tinfoil and can be slightly egg shaped.
I'd always try and source a decent second hand wheel to match the original wheel left on the tractor if at all possible. Cheaper and better as you mentioned. Although the new wheels off agri gear are good. They make wheels from everything to big 300-400hp yolks to small 20s and 35s. They'll also fix old rims. Know a lad doing a 6 cylinder major who's sent his original wheels off to have the rims modified to fit wider wheels.

I'd always try and source a decent second hand wheel to match the original wheel left on the tractor if at all possible. Cheaper and better as you mentioned. Although the new wheels off agri gear are good. They make wheels from everything to big 300-400hp yolks to small 20s and 35s. They'll also fix old rims. Know a lad doing a 6 cylinder major who's sent his original wheels off to have the rims modified to fit wider wheels.
The original GKN Sankey rims are the business, tap one of them and a spurious rim with a hammer. The ring off them is totally different.

Thanks lads. Any recommend a guy to buy from at reasonable price
Christy timlin in mayo or john conaty sell good second hand rims or if you're after new ones as MF30 said gkn rims are the buisness. Agri gear are good too. They can take old rims either and recondition them or sell you a good set of new ones I think they make themselves, they're not mad money too.

Christy timlin in mayo or john conaty sell good second hand rims or if you're after new ones as MF30 said gkn rims are the buisness. Agri gear are good too. They can take old rims either and recondition them or sell you a good set of new ones I think they make themselves, they're not mad money too.
No my rims are perfect it's tyres am after? Same size as would be on a 35 ect

Some of the original rims were nothing to write home about . On our 1969 MF 165 the centers broke out of the dish . The MF 135 the rims broke up but that was from using Betison Dual wheels. The rims on one of the Ford 7600 broke up but that was from hauling 17 tonne loads of beet . The TW 15 I think is the only pre 2000 tractor that is still on the original rims . Even the JCB is on heavily modified rims.
I doubt spurious rims will disintegrate doing road runs.

Some of the original rims were nothing to write home about . On our 1969 MF 165 the centers broke out of the dish . The MF 135 the rims broke up but that was from using Betison Dual wheels. The rims on one of the Ford 7600 broke up but that was from hauling 17 tonne loads of beet . The TW 15 I think is the only pre 2000 tractor that is still on the original rims . Even the JCB is on heavily modified rims.
I doubt spurious rims will disintegrate doing road runs.
A lad buying ex drill rims from me once said he fitted a set of the 4 new rims special offer to his 135 and the rear wheels were so egg shaped he was nearly seasick on a road run. He brought them back to the supplier who agreed to replace them but couldn’t guarantee that the next set would be any better.

A pair of new 12.4x28 BKTs will cost you €500, best all rounder for that job. Or go Goodyear diamond patterns and double the money but she’d look original. The sky is the limit really.
Bang on I think I got a price of 800 for a new tyres all round on the 135 and the rims dipped and powder coated.

If things weren't busy enough the 135 decided to give up today. Went to move it out of the way today and the pressure gauge was acting up. Went out and took out the dipstick and sure enough there was a his followed by smoke and oil. Don't know how I'm going to manage this, an engine rebuild is not exactly ideal at the minute. Need to keep moving through these tractors for lads but need the 135 to move them about the place and do other jobs around the place.:unsure:

been asking around within a forty mile radius about refurbishing a MF industrial 30E but any lad i ask is too busy etc , engine , gearbox and brakes are fine , just bodywork and cab interior

looking at DD and Clive Pratt up in Cavan does it according to his add , i know he is a Same dealer as Ive relative near Virginia , Its a good journey ( little along with ninety minutes by car ) for me but its worth bringing a machine a distance to the right man .

anyone know anyone who got a tractor refurbed with Pratt ?

been asking around within a forty mile radius about refurbishing a MF industrial 30E but any lad i ask is too busy etc , engine , gearbox and brakes are fine , just bodywork and cab interior

looking at DD and Clive Pratt up in Cavan does it according to his add , i know he is a Same dealer as Ive relative near Virginia , Its a good journey ( little along with ninety minutes by car ) for me but its worth bringing a machine a distance to the right man .

anyone know anyone who got a tractor refurbed with Pratt ?
Never knew Clive done up tractors, always thought he just sold the few sames and cars. If you're going that far I'd try Freddie Martin's. They'd probably do it up with all the genuine parts too. Would offer to do it here but I probably wouldn't get round to it till this summer at the rate things are going. Know a lad down the road that does up the odd tractor now and then. Does a serious job at it. Done up a jd2030 and a kp trailer and they were both exactly as they would have left the factory. Even found a set of goodyears for the john deere. I'll mention it to him next time I see him.

Going to do the liners and rings on the 135 and maybe skim the head. On the fence of what I'm going to do liner wise. Have one fella telling me to get them pressed in and that the slip fit/freeze and lump of timber ones are no good and another telling me the slip fit ones are the only job. Anyone have any experience with these newer liners or have an opinion on which would be better

Back