It takes balls......

Mf 7715

Just a thread on what you seen or heard people (men or women) do, and thought Jeasus, that took some balls.
To start off, yesterday evening our water went off around 5we are on a high pressure 9” main feeding a underground reservoir our water never goes. Only a few houses on this main everyone else is fed from the reservoir approx 1000 houses.
contractor putting in new Eircom poles drove is pole boring auger though the main, lifted the auger dropped the pole in, then fecked off home, and told no one. There was a knee high lake of water on the road and was running into driveways of houses when the council came.

Just a thread on what you seen or heard people (men or women) do, and thought Jeasus, that took some balls.
To start off, yesterday evening our water went off around 5we are on a high pressure 9” main feeding a underground reservoir our water never goes. Only a few houses on this main everyone else is fed from the reservoir approx 1000 houses.
contractor putting in new Eircom poles drove is pole boring auger though the main, lifted the auger dropped the pole in, then fecked off home, and told no one. There was a knee high lake of water on the road and was running into driveways of houses when the council came.
I honestly don't believe that, a 9" high pressure main would dump so much water that it would be impossible to get a wooden pole in place.

Reactions: Paw
I honestly don't believe that, a 9" high pressure main would dump so much water that it would be impossible to get a wooden pole in place.
Put a small crack in a high pressure pipe or just move a collar by a quarter of an inch and it could lose enough pressure to see you out of water depending on where you were fed off the pipeline. It could be just bubbling up.

I’ll take a picture, they used a ratchet strap onto a tree to stop it falling over. I don’t know what they were thinking.

Lad that built houses without planning permission. Local to us there is a lad with 2 houses that he has pumped in the guts of €150k into. He has received notice from the council that he needs to demolish them. He has told some neighbors/friends that somebody local is out to get him so they reported him. He has built them on the edge of a main road - everyone that passes them sees them. There is a court order on him to prevent him from carrying out any more work on them. He is applying for retention. Reckons that he will get it. He'll leave them alone for a year or 2 (Till the staff in the council planning office change he says), then he'll go at it again and finish them off an apply for retention again.

I have no problem with him and I wish him well, but if that's how things worked, then why would any of us spend €3 to €4k to draw plans and submit them as planning applications and then pay up to €10k in contributions when planning is granted.

The best one I have is I gave neighbour loan of tractor ,he then went off and done a job on hire with it and brought it back and parked it at back of yard .He calls over just as I was in a hurry going for cows and passing the tractor he exclaims what happened that .I looked over to see glass shattered in windscreen ,fuck sake he said ''them crows are dangerous'' now that takes some bating ,of course insurance covered it

Neighbour who has only 1 tractor, borrowed my loader tractor to lift bags of fertiliser . I was also spreading the same day , using the 50 to lift bags.
I rang him at 7 .30 to see was he finished , as I had a couple of grabs of silage to give in .
It's left outside my yard gate, as I was locking the gate , when I was going home .
He lives a mile and a half away from his yard. Yard is only a 250 yards from me .

Last edited:
Lad that built houses without planning permission. Local to us there is a lad with 2 houses that he has pumped in the guts of €150k into. He has received notice from the council that he needs to demolish them. He has told some neighbors/friends that somebody local is out to get him so they reported him. He has built them on the edge of a main road - everyone that passes them sees them. There is a court order on him to prevent him from carrying out any more work on them. He is applying for retention. Reckons that he will get it. He'll leave them alone for a year or 2 (Till the staff in the council planning office change he says), then he'll go at it again and finish them off an apply for retention again.

I have no problem with him and I wish him well, but if that's how things worked, then why would any of us spend €3 to €4k to draw plans and submit them as planning applications and then pay up to €10k in contributions when planning is granted.
Know we pumped a heap of money trying to get planning for a house up beside the home place but because of the narrow lane and dangerous hill at the end of the lane they refused planning. It gets worse we have the land on the other side to widen the lane and they won't let us. The council say it belongs to some national road crowd or whatever, can't remember their proper name and then that crowd say the council own it and are responsible for it, we demanded they do something because when the grandfather had a heart attack it was that bad the ambulance refused to come down it, so what did they do, they put up a stop sign at the end of it and a t junction sign up beside the house, well the next day straight out the grandfather went with the grinder and cut the 2 of them down. They eventually 're surfaced the road at the end of the lane but refused to take the lethal hill out of it. They eventually came up and 're surfaced the lane thanks to our local councillor who battled and battled to get it done. Someone will have to be killed before anything will be done about the lane. Words cannot describe how bad it is, you literally go to pull out and there's a big hill on the right which you can see nothing over in a car and just the roofs of trucks in a jeep and they come flying over it. Anything bigger than a small tractor has to go out the bottom someone is needed to stand on the hill to slow traffic. And now in the middle of a homeless crisis they've brought out a rule where you need 25 acres or more to build in the countryside. Just setting up meath to be little dublin with housing estates. Has to be the worst county in the country to get anything done by the council.

The best one I have is I gave neighbour loan of tractor ,he then went off and done a job on hire with it and brought it back and parked it at back of yard .He calls over just as I was in a hurry going for cows and passing the tractor he exclaims what happened that .I looked over to see glass shattered in windscreen ,fuck sake he said ''them crows are dangerous'' now that takes some bating ,of course insurance covered it
A guy here borrowed our mole plough to put a pipe in, he then went on to hire out to others, only found out when we happened to be talking to one of them and they said they'd been putting a water pipe in with a mole plough, so who's have you got?........................................:blink:

Lads you give a lend of something to and you have to go ringing them to get it back. You'd think they'd be glad to get it in the first place.
That and it coming back broke, only got a couple of people i will lend anything to now. Hired the muckspreader out once and that came back with nearly every slat bent on the bed chain, as a neighbour says 'we haven't bought it for someone else to use'.

The cow lifter here was always in demand. I rang a lad at half 5 one morning to leave it back as I had a cow did the splits. I wouldn't mind but he would pass by my gate a good few times everyday

A guy here borrowed our mole plough to put a pipe in, he then went on to hire out to others, only found out when we happened to be talking to one of them and they said they'd been putting a water pipe in with a mole plough, so who's have you got?........................................:blink:
A fella here borrowed the rotavator one year and the father only found out after talking to someone who was telling him about this great tiller yer man was after getting. The fecker had gone out on hire with it. The same lad got the plough another time and called in complaining it wouldn't go into the ground. The father went to see what was up and yer man had the points worn off. Again he'd gone out on hire with it. Needless to say that was the end of him getting anything.

Honestly though why do councils decide what you can build on your own land, I understand that's just how it is but the principle is absurd especially if you are outside of a town. Like if it's not up to scratch then thats your own fault, I'd have no issue with say a bank providing a mortgage requiring plans and permission, but if its your own money and land build away I say.

Lent a local lad my old mixer wagon when his Keenan broke down,was an on going thing that the Keenan was done for,no weigher,door broken off,basically he put silage in and it threw it to the side,I offered my old mixer to him for scrap price,absolutely nothing wrong with it just I’d out grown it,he rung up after a week of use and said he was going to look for something bigger but he’d just feed his heifers at a farm 5 miles away before he fetched it back,ffs it was worth £750 in scrap weight at the time.

A fella here borrowed the rotavator one year and the father only found out after talking to someone who was telling him about this great tiller yer man was after getting. The fecker had gone out on hire with it. The same lad got the plough another time and called in complaining it wouldn't go into the ground. The father went to see what was up and yer man had the points worn off. Again he'd gone out on hire with it. Needless to say that was the end of him getting anything.
That's the most indecent thing anyone could do. Using another man's machine for their own gain. Grand if your getting the loan of it for your own work but it's just a spiteful thing to go out hire with it. Same happened here back when the uncle had his dump trailer. Gave the loan of it to a farmer up the road. Was with him for months until one day we were at another job and your man drawing stone had a trailer awful similar to the uncle's, after some questioning turns out your man had given the loan of it to this lad a few weeks ago for his own work. Well your man went home with no trailer and needless to say that was the end of working for the other lad.

Lent a local lad my old mixer wagon when his Keenan broke down,was an on going thing that the Keenan was done for,no weigher,door broken off,basically he put silage in and it threw it to the side,I offered my old mixer to him for scrap price,absolutely nothing wrong with it just I’d out grown it,he rung up after a week of use and said he was going to look for something bigger but he’d just feed his heifers at a farm 5 miles away before he fetched it back,ffs it was worth £750 in scrap weight at the time.
I am very slow to buy certain implements like cattle trailer etc. As i know it is others would wear it out. Cheaper to hire haulage.

There are a few people I will lend things to and things to me in return but I've learned for the reasons above to be very picky about it. There is a lot to be said for being able to lend and borrow to save a bit but there has to be respect involved, for the people and the things.

Back