Heat Detection Systems

Tipp_Man

Anyone with any experience of heat detection systems?

what are you using and is it any good?

what about cost? How do various systems compare?

might make an investment before the breeding season starts, would be great to hear feedback

thanks

Looked at herdinsights and sensehub there a month ago.have it in mind for next autumn for when I m bulling again.
Collars with full service were 110 plus vat with both and base station/ receiver is roughly 3.5 k plus vat.
Can't claim vat back on collars if your not vat registered.
Herdinsights had a deal with dll over 3 yrs where roughly all vat and a small token is paid up front and then the remainder over 36 months.
Can't say which system is better but I did think the layout of the sensehubs information was easier to follow but that's just my opinion

I priced the Sensehub a while back. Eartags 80 euro and under warranty for 3 years, should last 5. Collars 120 euro and warranty for 5, should last 8 years, receiver 3.5k as above. Line of sight 800m reception, and the above cover heat detection and health. Eartags and collars are both able to be transferred if the cows sold or die. They're supposed to be fairly good for calving detection as well. Cloud based so you have access to your data from anywhere.
Not something for this year unless the lotto comes in but I would be interested in next year with a drafting system as well. I reckon the drafting system is needed to make best use of them. Cows drafted automatically after milking for AI or vet or whatever. It would definitely make my life easier and avoid keeping the whole herd back to sort out cows for AI, an hour of grazing lost every day for 2 months and an hour more manure to scrape every day for 2 months as well.

I priced the Sensehub a while back. Eartags 80 euro and under warranty for 3 years, should last 5. Collars 120 euro and warranty for 5, should last 8 years, receiver 3.5k as above. Line of sight 800m reception, and the above cover heat detection and health. Eartags and collars are both able to be transferred if the cows sold or die. They're supposed to be fairly good for calving detection as well. Cloud based so you have access to your data from anywhere.
Not something for this year unless the lotto comes in but I would be interested in next year with a drafting system as well. I reckon the drafting system is needed to make best use of them. Cows drafted automatically after milking for AI or vet or whatever. It would definitely make my life easier and avoid keeping the whole herd back to sort out cows for AI, an hour of grazing lost every day for 2 months and an hour more manure to scrape every day for 2 months as well.
These heat detection systems seem to be more popular thsn ever this year the sensehub one proving to be most popular followed by cow manager going by twitter. 11500€ for a 100 cow herd so probably better ways to spend the money but it would relieve alot of pressure around breeding.
just on one of your points there why are you keeping cows back to sort them for ai? Would a manual operated gate from pit not be possible?

These heat detection systems seem to be more popular thsn ever this year the sensehub one proving to be most popular followed by cow manager going by twitter. 11500€ for a 100 cow herd so probably better ways to spend the money but it would relieve alot of pressure around breeding.
just on one of your points there why are you keeping cows back to sort them for ai? Would a manual operated gate from pit not be possible?
No, the cows turn at a right angle after leaving the pit and again to move down the exit yard and the crush is the outer barrier of the exit yard. I'm looking at building a calf shed beyond that in a few years so I may end up moving the crush or integrating a drafting gate into the crush and a holding yard for sorted cows outside that.
And I rarely leave the pit during milking so I wouldn't get to see any of the first 4 or 5 rounds of cows to check if the tail paint is gone. I find it easier to wait at the end of the exit yard and divert any cows with tail paint missing back into the collecting yard. I'll get a better chance to look at them there and sort out any that aren't in heat then.

No, the cows turn at a right angle after leaving the pit and again to move down the exit yard and the crush is the outer barrier of the exit yard. I'm looking at building a calf shed beyond that in a few years so I may end up moving the crush or integrating a drafting gate into the crush and a holding yard for sorted cows outside that.
And I rarely leave the pit during milking so I wouldn't get to see any of the first 4 or 5 rounds of cows to check if the tail paint is gone. I find it easier to wait at the end of the exit yard and divert any cows with tail paint missing back into the collecting yard. I'll get a better chance to look at them there and sort out any that aren't in heat then.
Fair I see what you mean, seems like alot of extra work in a way , any way of setting up a drafting pen beside your parlour? And using a simple drafting gate like so?

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/27120196
Simple Cow Drafting System

All cows here drafted straight from parlour just watch every row and any with tailpaint gone are drafted straight out when they walk out. Just a thought.

Fair I see what you mean, seems like alot of extra work in a way , any way of setting up a drafting pen beside your parlour? And using a simple drafting gate like so?

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/27120196
Simple Cow Drafting System

All cows here drafted straight from parlour just watch every row and any with tailpaint gone are drafted straight out when they walk out. Just a thought.
That's a very nice system and one of the reasons I keep DoneDeal off my phone. Temptation :smile:
I'm probably going to go with some detection system in the near future and automatic drafting would be a huge benefit for me. Especially when drying off, I could tube a cow or two every round or every day and be able to collect them afterwards.
All I need now it that Lotto win.

Using sensehub here this 3 years. Was using their old heat time system before that for near 15years. Great tool and wouldn't be with out it

Is there a yearly subscription with sence hub.

I’ve run bulls since I started milking coming up 19 years,you’ve to be a bit of a plant pot not to know the signs of them not working.

Reactions: Paw
There's always a danger to running just a single bull, an infection can make him infertile for a few weeks and by the time you're sure you need to replace him, a good share of cows are running late.
I don't want to see that happen again, we generally run two bulls with the cows, an older and younger bull.

Those of ye that have the collars and ear tags for heat decetion what is yere 6 week in calf rate then compared to tail paint scratch cards etc ... ?
The bulls can be dodgey we had a bull last year now he had a growth in a back leg but seemed to be doing ok but bulled about 1 in 10 .

Those of ye that have the collars and ear tags for heat decetion what is yere 6 week in calf rate then compared to tail paint scratch cards etc ... ?
The bulls can be dodgey we had a bull last year now he had a growth in a back leg but seemed to be doing ok but bulled about 1 in 10 .
I know of a few who put it in and there conception rates where very good to start with, it was just another tool to help them save time and the added benefits of the health monitoring also

Heat detection systems are only a aid for detecting cows in heat, they won't put them incalf. There are so many other variables when it comes to bulling that needs to be right also. Not sure it's going to do wonders for 6 weeks incalf rate. It will pick up the silent heats alright. To be getting high 6 week calving rate they need to be calving in that also.

Only sucklers here. Have been using fasco AP mount activity labels find them ok. Is there much of a difference in different brands of scratch cards or are the patches with the dye a better job? Thanks

Back