Right so i suppose its offical now

Robbie260

Right been missing in action for a while, but with good reason. As of the 1st of April I finally have public liablity insurance cover for my new buissness, after six months of going nowhere/round in ever diminishing circles and banging my head off the walls and going back to sea.

Offering repairs and servicing from cars to 44 ton artics and plant and agricultural equipment. Not going major just yet Trying to keep to the smaller jobs for a while, also got public liablity for labour only agricultural contracting.

So here's the deal a lot of grants are in the offering because of covid and new startups are encouraged just now, I was going too see when I'm home if I can use this too my advantage and get some money towards some training. Was thinking of doing my telehandler and agricultural tractor certs, I already have my B+E trailer licence, is there any other licences tickets etc you would expect a labour only contractor to have/view as advantageous? Chainsaw ticket? etc etc.

Right been missing in action for a while, but with good reason. As of the 1st of April I finally have public liablity insurance cover for my new buissness, after six months of going nowhere/round in ever diminishing circles and banging my head off the walls and going back to sea.

Offering repairs and servicing from cars to 44 ton artics and plant and agricultural equipment. Not going major just yet Trying to keep to the smaller jobs for a while, also got public liablity for labour only agricultural contracting.

So here's the deal a lot of grants are in the offering because of covid and new startups are encouraged just now, I was going too see when I'm home if I can use this too my advantage and get some money towards some training. Was thinking of doing my telehandler and agricultural tractor certs, I already have my B+E trailer licence, is there any other licences tickets etc you would expect a labour only contractor to have/view as advantageous? Chainsaw ticket? etc etc.
What and where is the business?

What and where is the business?
So doing it I'm my months off from working away at sea. Based in Scottish Highlands, 1 man band, doing labour only agri contracting and agri and marine engineering primarily. Though I arranged so I have insurance avalible to work on most types of vehicles and machinery. I will travel nation wide for the agri contracting depending on length of contract, small fix and overhaul job I'm restricting to my local area but if say someone had a day or twos worth of mechanical work they wanted done and a few days of extra farm labour then I'd make myself available for that period.

Buissness is titled Crofts and Lochs engineering and contracting. It has a website and Facebook page but they are still in the process of final tweaking if anyone likes, they are more than welcome to go have a butchers and see if there is anything I have missed or neglected to mention.

Last edited:
So doing it I'm my months off from working away at sea. Based in Scottish Highlands, 1 man band, doing labour only agri contracting and agri and marine engineering primarily. Though I arranged so I have insurance avalible to work on most types of vehicles and machinery. I will travel nation wide for the agri contracting depending on length of contract, small fix and overhaul job I'm restricting to my local area but if say someone had a day or twos worth of mechanical work they wanted done and a few days of extra farm labour then I'd make myself available for that period.

Buissness is titled Crofts and Lochs engineering and contracting. It has a website and Facebook page but they are still in the process of final tweaking if anyone likes, they are more than welcome to go have a butchers and see if there is anything I have missed or neglected to mention.
I remember you coming on and pondering this on here.
Good job. He who dares....

Careful what you take on repairs wise.
Could piss a few customers off if you start a job but wind up driving the other end of the country for weeks before parts have been delivered.

I know a lad did similar to us, started a job on our 6610 then vanished for a month. Leaving us up the creek over silage time.
He only re appeared because he needed his axle stands!

I remember you coming on and pondering this on here.
Good job. He who dares....

Careful what you take on repairs wise.
Could piss a few customers off if you start a job but wind up driving the other end of the country for weeks before parts have been delivered.

I know a lad did similar to us, started a job on our 6610 then vanished for a month. Leaving us up the creek over silage time.
He only re appeared because he needed his axle stands!
Thanks AYF will not be screwing up in that way (I very much hope), I honestly can't afford too with possibility I may have too go back at sea at somepoint. Trying too keep too jobs I know can be finished within a week and no more than that. Dosent give me a huge scope of work basic breakdown repairs and servicing but I think that I am going too try and give the agri contracting a fair run.

"Labour only contracting " as in service & repairs on machinery i take it you mean?
You mentioned certs tickets. Have you the safe pass & manual handling in case you got offered servicing of on site construction vehicles. Just a thought.

Oh &don't forget the covid 19 induction (think we all have that one naturally by now)

"Labour only contracting " as in service & repairs on machinery i take it you mean?
You mentioned certs tickets. Have you the safe pass & manual handling in case you got offered servicing of on site construction vehicles. Just a thought.

Oh &don't forget the covid 19 induction (think we all have that one naturally by now)
Not exactly the labour only agri contracting is seperate too the engineering and mechanical side of things. From my research into it all it is basically farm hand work, so your usual extra hand is off sick and you need someone for a couple of days too feed the cows, or paint the sheds, or drive a tractor for you etc or you need and additional pair of hands as it's harvest time or you want too put up a fence or something like that, that was my understanding of it. Just general farm labouring from what I can tell. Unless I have gotten the wrong end of the stick completely, which may entirely be the case.

Cheers for that I don't it's probably something I should look into, much appreciated. Hahaha yeah it really dosent need one by now dose it.

Back