Electric Fence

Bought some fencing goodies and asked the fella for some handles, thinking I'd be getting the plastic ones that didn't carry a current. But the spring loaded type have arrived, not a bother, just wondering is baler twine a good enough insulator to go from the polly wire to the handle?

Anyone a recommendation for a cheap battery or solar fencer. The father in law has a garden and has me plagued to stick something on it, there's not an acre in it and its beside the town so possibility of it being theived, hence looking for very cheap and cheerful

Anyone a recommendation for a cheap battery or solar fencer. The father in law has a garden and has me plagued to stick something on it, there's not an acre in it and its beside the town so possibility of it being theived, hence looking for very cheap and cheerful
Would you not be able to put in a shed in the garden?

Would you not be able to put in a shed in the garden?
Unfortunately not quite that simple, its away from his house, there is a small shed but not exactly bomb proof and there have been undesirables in before. We have a couple of good fencers here that I could chance but if I picked something up for 100 quid or so it would do this and maybe another field we have stocked occasionally

Unfortunately not quite that simple, its away from his house, there is a small shed but not exactly bomb proof and there have been undesirables in before. We have a couple of good fencers here that I could chance but if I picked something up for 100 quid or so it would do this and maybe another field we have stocked occasionally
Just google solar shockers.
There's a few cheap ones about.
They look suspiciously like the very expensive ones too!!

What is there in terms of fencing now?
Would some poles and barbed wire actually be a safer bet if theft is inevitable?

My main concern with solars is some bugger stealing them,a lad I know made a small trailer with his solar panel mounted high up,also had a remote switch so the whole trailer was energised with the unit locked in a cabinet.

It’s something I want to make but for now I love the fencer to a gatepost or such.

ShockRite energisers are keenly priced energisers made in Ireland.

Great reviews online, and there are battery and solars available (free delivery too)

Problem with my electric fencer. Output had gone poor and I put it down to a bad earth. New earth cable and new wire from fencer and can only get 2.2 from the fencer with 15 of wire on the end of it. Attach a 4 acre block and it's down to 0.7. 2 earth bars, so I am.thinkinh the fencer is at fault.

Problem with my electric fencer. Output had gone poor and I put it down to a bad earth. New earth cable and new wire from fencer and can only get 2.2 from the fencer with 15 of wire on the end of it. Attach a 4 acre block and it's down to 0.7. 2 earth bars, so I am.thinkinh the fencer is at fault.
Your sure theres no shorts?

Whats your earth bar like?
The neighbour was telling me that he earthed the fence to the liner in the well a while ago and the voltage rose by 1000 volts. I say the fencer unit is at fault by what you say.

I wouldn't go with any less than 2 earth rods, the way it drops when the extra block is added suggests a poor earth or a short in the extra block, otherwise the fence unit. could you borrow a fencer to test your earth and wiring for efficiency.

Anyone know by looking if these would be man enough to carry current from one polly to another on a 3 strand electric fence?

Currently using offcuts of polly from one to another! Don't think that's a good enough conection tbh!
A bit of plain wire twirled between would be best,those croc clips are very poor build quality.

I've a Rutland 1600 shocker.
Rated to 1.6Jule shock.
It only registers 4kv on my tester. That's direct to the tester.
It should be a heck of a lot more
My 1j solars are registering 9.9kv.

All conections seem fine.

Any ideas?

I’ve never had any luck repairing fencers,sending one of my solar Gallaghers to AL next week.

He’s a bit of an odd sort,rang me in the week about my enquiry about a manual,nope it was an enquiry about if he could repair a solar Gallagher,he did repair my mains rutland a few years back and it’s been fine since.

Reactions: AYF
I’ve never had any luck repairing fencers,sending one of my solar Gallaghers to AL next week.

He’s a bit of an odd sort,rang me in the week about my enquiry about a manual,nope it was an enquiry about if he could repair a solar Gallagher,he did repair my mains rutland a few years back and it’s been fine since.
Might try them.
I opened it up earler and whilst there isn't much in there, diagnosing boards is beyond me!!

I've a Rutland 1600 shocker.
Rated to 1.6Jule shock.
It only registers 4kv on my tester. That's direct to the tester.
It should be a heck of a lot more
My 1j solars are registering 9.9kv.

All conections seem fine.

Any ideas?
your confusing joules with volts now,2 seperate things

your confusing joules with volts now,2 seperate things
20220417_182334.jpg
Just going off what the meter is saying!
The 1J solars are registering 9.9kv so....

I saw you'd answerd and figured you might have just said to shoot the sheep then no need for fencer!😅😅😅

Back