What fert spreader

It’s the one feature of Bogballe that really puts me off them, the Amazone/rauch type system for headlands is so much handier, especially when spreading paddocks
Also the border spreading system on the Bogballe destroys the tractor with fert especially a mounted spreader.

Also the border spreading system on the Bogballe destroys the tractor with fert especially a mounted spreader.
Never had a issue with fert on the tractor with the one here. Actually found with the ROM vicon we had put alot of fert on the tractor. Used to hit you in the cab of the window was open

Never had a issue with fert on the tractor with the one here. Actually found with the ROM vicon we had put alot of fert on the tractor. Used to hit you in the cab of the window was open
It depends on the vanes you use . I use E6 for the 30m . It is not a big issue for me because I would be spreading a lot of fertilizer at a time but it would be a nuisance if you were spreading a couple of tonne every week. I have rubber flaps that stop it hitting the tractor.

It’s the one feature of Bogballe that really puts me off them, the Amazone/rauch type system for headlands is so much handier, especially when spreading paddocks
The drop down deflector is dead handy, I’d often flick it up on the first round of a paddock if I’m setting an a-b line off a paddock wire and let it spread on out into the next paddock then use the same line in the next paddock without changing. Even better when someone has been around and opened gates and gaps ahead of you, in through the gap flick the spool and never stop till your back headed for the road.

id forgotten how much the zax used to grind fert till now. Glad I won’t see that crap again... the last few grains in the rauch are as good as when they went into it

Last edited:
I bought a new ZAM in 2017 pretty much the spec you are outlining @nashmach , hyd shutters, hydraulic border control, cover, 21m and 1200 ltr capacity. Nice machine to operate, no issue with accuracy, hoppers empty evenly, adjustment easy with settings from the App.
I have no experience of the other makes other than a 1980’s Vicon wagtail, so the change to the ZAM was like night and day. Worth having a look at them.

Attachments

• 6063BD85-EB29-4BEF-8204-75750F56651B.jpeg
    6063BD85-EB29-4BEF-8204-75750F56651B.jpeg
    264.7 KB · Views: 55
A member on here bought an extremely cheap Bogballe @kildare have we any embarrassing stories to tell or did it all go to plan ?
My first split on the wheat did not look quite right but the rain and second split seems to have camouflaged it . The oats used the same load and there was no pattern in it.
Yea I bought one for 2500 but the electric parts had been taken off and came in a box. I took a chance on it and it worked fine. Bogman gave me help a few times when I was setting up.

Attachments

• IMG_20200629_161614.jpg
    IMG_20200629_161614.jpg
    228.1 KB · Views: 65
I'm suspicious of the Bogballe here spreading light on the headland run while in headland mode. Looks like some of the headlands on the silage and WB fields look light from the centre of the tramline to the hedge. Anyone got any experience of this? Spreader is L1 plus model and two years old. I run PTO at 450 rpm on headland bout, everywhere else seems fine.

The drop down deflector is dead handy, I’d often flick it up on the first round of a paddock if I’m setting an a-b line off a paddock wire and let it spread on out into the next paddock then use the same line in the next paddock without changing. Even better when someone has been around and opened gates and gaps ahead of you, in through the gap flick the spool and never stop till your back headed for the road.

id forgotten how much the zax used to grind fert till now. Glad I won’t see that crap again... the last few grains in the rauch are as good as when they went into it
I've an old Rauch, always holds a small bit of fertilizer at the end, other than that and the fact the previous owner didn't clean it too well it is easy set up, 2 hoses for the on/off and change a handle for half bout/ headland, newer ones have a bit more of a pot at the bottom whether that helps get the last bit out, a neighbour got a new one a few weeks ago and it looked a bit fussier, a lot of plastic shrouds and more nooks to hide fertilizer around the spreading area, each side on a separate spool so you have to pull 2 at once. @nashmach will your tractor be heavy enough for 1.5 tonnes ?

I've an old Rauch, always holds a small bit of fertilizer at the end, other than that and the fact the previous owner didn't clean it too well it is easy set up, 2 hoses for the on/off and change a handle for half bout/ headland, newer ones have a bit more of a pot at the bottom whether that helps get the last bit out, a neighbour got a new one a few weeks ago and it looked a bit fussier, a lot of plastic shrouds and more nooks to hide fertilizer around the spreading area, each side on a separate spool so you have to pull 2 at once. @nashmach will your tractor be heavy enough for 1.5 tonnes ?
We might have another tractor thread on the way, the man is on a roll :clap:

Thanks to you all for the comments, it seems they are all pretty consistent with the top three makes and options to consider.

On the headland management, Rauch and Amazone have the yoke you flick up and down while Bogballe you have to change gearbox setting. Is that correct?

@Arthur, existing spreader is 1.25t (although not all used) so less than 1.5t would seem like a trade down. If going on a bogie weight makes no difference, otherwise more likely the 9880 will be spreading.

Ours will have a tiny bit around the agitator at the end alright but what I meant was the bit that’s left no matter how much you’ve spread will still be in perfect condition, every time I came back with the zax for the first top up there square corners of the hopper bottom would be packed into a smooth circle with Fertilizer ground to dust.

with the rauch here we’ve the leccy control box so at the end I put it into fast emptying mode where it opens the shutter to the last and give the wheel a few quick flicks and there would be very very little left after.
I do also really like the windows in the front of the hopper, you can see right into the hopper bottom from the cab

I'm suspicious of the Bogballe here spreading light on the headland run while in headland mode. Looks like some of the headlands on the silage and WB fields look light from the centre of the tramline to the hedge. Anyone got any experience of this? Spreader is L1 plus model and two years old. I run PTO at 450 rpm on headland bout, everywhere else seems fine.
Ya see it here too. Put on a extra few revs on the tractor 470-480. I also find if you keep a meter closer or so helps alot

Ya see it here too. Put on a extra few revs on the tractor 470-480. I also find if you keep a meter closer or so helps alot
Can’t keep closer if in a tram line unfortunately. Any more revs and fert ends up in hedge. Might try a few more revs. Will study manual tonight to see if I’m missing something. Thanks.

Can’t keep closer if in a tram line unfortunately. Any more revs and fert ends up in hedge. Might try a few more revs. Will study manual tonight to see if I’m missing something. Thanks.
Ya not much you can do on the trams alright. Try a small few extra revs. Think Trevor said to keep her at about that

Your not running a bit fast forward speed in headland are you?
Would be an issue for most tractors to match a specific speed and pto rpm well.

Twould be where cvt would come into its own!

Your not running a bit fast forward speed in headland are you?
Would be an issue for most tractors to match a specific speed and pto rpm well.

Twould be where cvt would come into its own!
Dropping about 200 engine rpm on the headland run to get 450 PTO rpm would cause me to travel at 8 km/hr instead of 9 km/hr, thought this would help to put more fert out instead of less?

Dropping about 200 engine rpm on the headland run to get 450 PTO rpm would cause me to travel at 8 km/hr instead of 9 km/hr, thought this would help to put more fert out instead of les?

My understanding of the border setup on krm is (with the disks in reverse) keep forward speed the same as normal spreading. But pto rpm down to 450-480 (so it reaches the hedge)

So in theory you need to be a couple of gears up to keep the forward speed.

Are you in fact going a bit faster than you should be?
Or are you getting your speed reading from a gps?

The second run at full width would compensate the lack of fert to the field side of the headland tramline, making the lack of fert between the tramline and hedge more obvious?

Not even sure this makes sense in my own head at this hour!

Yes, I gave up using the headland mode because of this... 15m 420rpm and it was leaving it way to light right behind the tractor and the width of it

Back