Silage 2021

i hope those 4 bales were bought with lower price compared to the ones you sold
Don’t know what they’re costing yet but they’ll probably be less than the bales I sold. Just the hassle of collecting them drawing home etc.

Going to be weeks before anything is cut round here,nobody has any grass to speak of,another very hard frost this morning and it took till afternoon to warm a little,cold again tonight.

It's some 10 acres if it yields 425 bales in 2 cuts..
IMG_20210506_103902.jpg

Let them live in fanasty land.the rest of us that dont read the " bible " should have enough and maybe some to sell to the " believers "

Is that a Teagasc publication? 200 units/ac of N for 2 cuts of silage is crazy stuff for the national advisory body to be publicising, particularly in this day and age when all nutrient use is under the microscope.
Surely there is a typo there and they mean 10 hectares and not 10 acres? If it's 10 acres for two cuts, then the average cut per acre for both cuts is 21 bales to the acre. Must be hectares they meant.

Let them live in fanasty land.the rest of us that dont read the " bible " should have enough and maybe some to sell to the " believers "

We have had this debate on here a few weeks back - what @Arthur posted above is the kind of crap that they post for the better farms. If they aren't realistic with their results, how can they expect any farmer to take advice from them.

I can get 20 acres to produce twice as many bales as it currently does. But it will have to be cut and baled in really wet weather, and no wilt. It might be all 75 DMD but Dry Matter will be below 18% and it'll go through them like water. Has anyone tried fattening cattle on wet silage? I'd prefer to have DMD of 65 and DM of 30%+ than 75 DMD and DM less than 18% - the cattle will perform every bit as good, if not better and I will save a whole load of money by only having to make and feed half the amount of bales for the same amount of feed.

Surely there is a typo there and they mean 10 hectares and not 10 acres? If it's 10 acres for two cuts, then the average cut per acre for both cuts is 21 bales to the acre. Must be hectares they meant.
Still they mention acres for units of N applied.

We have had this debate on here a few weeks back - what @Arthur posted above is the kind of crap that they post for the better farms. If they aren't realistic with their results, how can they expect any farmer to take advice from them.

I can get 20 acres to produce twice as many bales as it currently does. But it will have to be cut and baled in really wet weather, and no wilt. It might be all 75 DMD but Dry Matter will be below 18% and it'll go through them like water. Has anyone tried fattening cattle on wet silage? I'd prefer to have DMD of 65 and DM of 30%+ than 75 DMD and DM less than 18% - the cattle will perform every bit as good, if not better and I will save a whole load of money by only having to make and feed half the amount of bales for the same amount of feed.
I'm torn on it. Because I've seen cattle on wet High dmd silage both feed well and poorly. Dry high dmd seems pretty consistently good.
The thing is though that high dmd is also conducive to being dry as there is less material and so less water per acre to dry off though you have to find 2 dry days every 3-5weeks for it.
There has to be something to be said for crimped barley as a feed for beef and dairy cows though. Its high energy palatable and consistent.

How do you like them? Do you patch the lifting sockets once installed? Drumderry's handywork I presume?
They look a fine job. Seem well finished off. Na we won't, we cover the walls with old plastic cover so that will stop anything going through. No Murphy concrete

They look a fine job. Seem well finished off. Na we won't, we cover the walls with old plastic cover so that will stop anything going through. No Murphy concrete
Very good, I thought Drumderry would be the only crowd doing them down there, had forgotten Murphys. Looks a good finish on them.

Back