At the mart...

Aul lad bought 4 bucket reared simmental cross heifers yesterday evening in the field off a friend of his, he buys a few off this man each year out of friendship really, he will make sucklers out of them, he likes the docility and milk in them,710 euro per head he gave him, march 2020 born, weighed them when we brought them home for the crac, 360kg average but that would be a very fresh weight considering how local they were, twas about right on them id say, they might make some few quid more in the mart but sure your man would have to haul them and pay commission then etc i suppose
Surly have made 2.10 a kilo in the mart. So good value

Aul lad bought 4 bucket reared simmental cross heifers yesterday evening in the field off a friend of his, he buys a few off this man each year out of friendship really, he will make sucklers out of them, he likes the docility and milk in them,710 euro per head he gave him, march 2020 born, weighed them when we brought them home for the crac, 360kg average but that would be a very fresh weight considering how local they were, twas about right on them id say, they might make some few quid more in the mart but sure your man would have to haul them and pay commission then etc i suppose
We had a few like that going back a few years ago, same craic with the old lad buying them. Grand cows but genuinely painful to do anything with them because they were always looking for a scratch. I'm glad they're gone

Pop's is no bad judge.
I wouldn't mind having him to buy cattle.

Around here the trade has softened for stores
Same around here, big forward cattle well back this week. Getting to the stage now, unless factories are buying, there aren't many customers left 😐. Still seeing dirt making savage money and super cattle been cheap. All very odd.

Lighter stores seem well back around here from what I saw on the couple snippets I watched online. Factory fit or short keep stock are still making good money though.

A friend sold a 10 animals in New Ross yesterday and he's very happy with what he got, I'm useless at remembering individual weights/prices but I remembering saying about €900 with the weight.
He also factoried some in Slaney during the week, €4.10/kg on the grid + QA.

Might pick up abit when the grass starts growing again

Grass is the main issue and if the showers dont die back ground conditions could get tricky yet.

Another factor is a lot are watching BEAM numbers like a hawk too to finish it off and be done with rather than dragging on for the rest of the year.

The last 4 autumn born weanling heifers were sold here this evening. Averaged €2.40/kg. Best price was a september 2020 born black LM - 390kg = €920. Best price per kg was a red LM heifer that I posted a pic of here a few weeks ago 340kg = €870 - It was good money for a 7 month old heifer. Plainer heifers were easier bought and bidding was sluggish enough.

What I don't get is how can a 275kg 9 month old red lmx heifer be apparently worth so much less than a 200kg 15 month old red lmx heifer, unless people are bidding on the name on the board instead of the animal in the ring.

What I don't get is how can a 275kg 9 month old red lmx heifer be apparently worth so much less than a 200kg 15 month old red lmx heifer, unless people are bidding on the name on the board instead of the animal in the ring.
It really depends on what someone sees in an animal. An older and lighter animal may have not been well fed and if the right person got her and fed her she could perform very well with weight gain whereas the younger animal might need longer to mature.
On the other hand, if a few people were buying in order to reach stocking rates for anc, they might have picked the older one thinking that she would come cheap - all it takes is 2 buyers to want her and they often lose control of themselves when bidding. Mart prices don't always follow logic.

It really depends on what someone sees in an animal. An older and lighter animal may have not been well fed and if the right person got her and fed her she could perform very well with weight gain whereas the younger animal might need longer to mature.
On the other hand, if a few people were buying in order to reach stocking rates for anc, they might have picked the older one thinking that she would come cheap - all it takes is 2 buyers to want her and they often lose control of themselves when bidding. Mart prices don't always follow logic.
That's very true.
The younger one was much better fed than the older one.

Had a bullock here that seemed to go a bit backwards at the end of winter and wasn’t fit to go to the factory with the rest so we left him off to grass, went through the mart yesterday @2.63 so probably left more that way than he would have in March/April. Can’t really fathom how they expect to make money on him at that tbh cause I wouldn’t think he was fully finished

I believe forward store cattle are after getting very dear.
The beef plan association are talking about ,2.65per kg live for fit cattle for export and marts are supposed to be on fire by northern buyers???

I believe forward store cattle are after getting very dear.
The beef plan association are talking about ,2.65per kg live for fit cattle for export and marts are supposed to be on fire by northern buyers???
Beef plan claim that they already have a lot of cattle bought for export to the UK over the last week. It could help put another few pence on beef cattle here this week although I was booking cattle for the local factory for next week and they tell me that o have to call Monday to confirm the day because they are going on 3 day week from next week.

Good few cattle going to UK for direct slaughter.

Instances of ABP/Dawn and (insert factory name of your choosing) paying a deadweight price of €5, around the ring for Angus. Some of their cattle blowing €100 a head the following morning vs the factory gate price. Funny old business

Good few cattle going to UK for direct slaughter.

ABP/Dawn and whoever else paying a deadweight price of €5, around the ring for Angus. Some of their cattle blowing €100 a head vs the factory gate price. Funny old business

Seen ordinary 600 kg angus out of dairy cows making 241 a kg.

How long will good prices last do you think

Seen ordinary 600 kg angus out of dairy cows making 241 a kg.

How long will good prices last do you think
I haven't a notion. Trade makes little sense as ever. Budget of 3.80 base price for backend of the year would be sensible 🤔

I have seen heavy AA make 2.60+ and they were no oil paintings

I’ve spent two days this last couple of weeks at the store mart,trade is mad,watched one make £1475 the other day,I doubt it would make that on the hook.
Local chap who sold some land for building was bidding hard,£33m turned his brain to mush…..

Back