Dealer price difference's

This is rife within the agri trade, sick of hearing that this is the best price from agri sales men only for them to drop the price further on sight of another quote. They want you to be doing their pricing.

It's worse again on milking parlours/Equipment. One manufacturer was 12k higher than a global manufacturer then went 5k below this quote,a variance of 17k on the original quote.

In a dealer’s defence some of the variance can come from the manufacturer, it may be that they get some extra support from the manufacturer at short notice to move a unit from stock, but there will be terms such as it has to be road reg’d by the end of the month, or you need to replace it with another unit.

There will be a lot of this in the next 6 months as everyone moves to Stage V on tractors, and there will be a push to wash out the older product.

i’m not saying this is what actually occurred, but sometimes its not the dealer’s fault, none of them want to be uncompetitive on a deal.

As @TAFKAT says, a trade in can muddy the waters a lot
Cheaper dealer might have a retail buyer lined up for the trade in at a good price, dearer dealer might have got a price from the trade which would be substantially less.
Obviously this isnt the OP's problem, but it might explain some of the price difference
I would still talk to the dearer dealer and tell him, at least he will know you didnt bypass him for handy money, he cant really bear a grudge that you chose not to spend €11k needlessly
You might need him down the line.

No trade in, what we have will sell ourselves. Ya I will be back chatting with him prob tomorrow and say what they are out. They will either do something on it or not. I would prefer to keep my business as local as possible but that will come down to what they can do on price aswell.

You could see where the difference comes from but hard to see where it will be made up at the same time.

You could see where the difference comes from but hard to see where it will be made up at the same time.
I had a time consuming breakdown with a vital machine at a busy time last year. Rang the dealer who was reasonably local. Dropped off my own machine and they gave me a spare of their own, I was back working in the field in less than 2 hours. I had my own machine back fully repaired 2 days later when the panic was off. Cost me less than €400. 1. They had the parts in stock to fix my own machine. 2. They had a good mechanic who knew straight away when I phoned what the problem was and how long the downtime was going to be. 3. They had a spare machine in stock to cover those kind of circumstances. Would I go 40 or 50 or 100 miles to the next dealer to save €500 or €1000 when I'm changing the next time? I don't think so.

I had a time consuming breakdown with a vital machine at a busy time last year. Rang the dealer who was reasonably local. Dropped off my own machine and they gave me a spare of their own, I was back working in the field in less than 2 hours. I had my own machine back fully repaired 2 days later when the panic was off. Cost me less than €400. 1. They had the parts in stock to fix my own machine. 2. They had a good mechanic who knew straight away when I phoned what the problem was and how long the downtime was going to be. 3. They had a spare machine in stock to cover those kind of circumstances. Would I go 40 or 50 or 100 miles to the next dealer to save €500 or €1000 when I'm changing the next time? I don't think so.
That's the thing you were up and running in no time and at a certain time of year that worth alot to you. It's to put a value on it is the harder part. Think in my circumstances 11k might be on the strong side to cover it but at the same time you have to have allow some value for it.

I would agree with you on service but where’s the cut off point , big difference between 1000 and 11000

I would agree with you on service but where’s the cut off point , big difference between 1000 and 11000

11k he’d want to be giving you the dinner every time you went in there to justify the great service your getting, I wouldn’t move for a grand but he wouldn’t get my business if the difference was 11k
Oh I agree, I was just making the point that cheapest isn't always best in the long run.

The trouble is with varying spec of machines on farms the likelihood of a spare sitting at a dealers is slim,even finding a 200hp+ tractor with front links/pto,air brakes,power beyond etc would be hard pressed.

There is an awful lot of making in 11k profit on a farm. I’d ring the more expensive fella and tell him to have a look again at his figures as he’s a long way out, don’t dare tell him how much, leave him come back with his best offer then. If he’s still a mile out just walk away.
Fellas would be doing more giving out over a tenner a tonne on a load of feed or fertiliser.

Loyalty is a one way street sometimes.
Sometimes If a lad thinks you wont go anywhere else they dont give you best price.

Rang about a machine today , 2 dealers that I deal with were within 300 of each other and got a friend thats a dealer in machinery to price up the country, sometimes he can buy from the trade and sell to someone and have a little something out of it anyway his price was 1500 out on a demo machine , he did ring back his man to see was he right with his price when I told him what I could do a deal at for new machines but there was no budging. Machine being priced was between 15 and 20k . Local dealer was the cheapest.

There is an awful lot of making in 11k profit on a farm. I’d ring the more expensive fella and tell him to have a look again at his figures as he’s a long way out, don’t dare tell him how much, leave him come back with his best offer then. If he’s still a mile out just walk away.
Fellas would be doing more giving out over a tenner a tonne on a load of feed or fertiliser.
That's the point I'm trying to make, if the deal doesn't suit then just walk away, no hard feelings and no harm done. There are an awful lot of variables involved in getting to the price a dealer can sell a machine for when you get into those kind of figures and just because one lad is dearer than the next doesn't mean he's trying to get up on you. I know it's not the case here, but there could be 40k worth of a trade-in hanging around for God knows how long. As I said earlier if they were all the one price people would be complaining about a cartel, every dealer has their own figures to do and their own overheads to take into account, how far are they prepared to go on warranty and backup, and how much of a profit margin they want.

That's the point I'm trying to make, if the deal doesn't suit then just walk away, no hard feelings and no harm done. There are an awful lot of variables involved in getting to the price a dealer can sell a machine for when you get into those kind of figures and just because one lad is dearer than the next doesn't mean he's trying to get up on you. I know it's not the case here, but there could be 40k worth of a trade-in hanging around for God knows how long. As I said earlier if they were all the one price people would be complaining about a cartel, every dealer has their own figures to do and their own overheads to take into account, how far are they prepared to go on warranty and backup, and how much of a profit margin they want.
if there,s a trade in sometimes a dealer can have 3 or 4 similar machines in the yard already and they,re not shifting so he doesn,t really need another one until he shifts some of those

Back