The reseeding thread

They have it ate down to practically nothing in half the field we are a bit away from spraying it yet.

We were afraid of crushing the small grass seeds going over them with the tanker
Might be the lesser of two evils. The grass MIGHT recover the rabbits WONT stop would be my thinking but if the ground is tender its a lot of traffic on it I grant you. If you could find a local headcase willing to spend his time shooting them for a week youd be sorted. They are out there

Might be the lesser of two evils. The grass MIGHT recover the rabbits WONT stop would be my thinking but if the ground is tender its a lot of traffic on it I grant you. If you could find a local headcase willing to spend his time shooting them for a week youd be sorted. They are out there
1621713484539.png

Was talking to a man today who worked as a seed rep and i asked him about stopping rabbits. He said what is good to deter rabbits is spreading epsom salts over the reseed, the taste puts off the rabbits. Can use quad and spreader. Tillage lads would know more about it as used for magnesium deficency. Only problem its washed off with rain.
Bitter salts, do most crops good as well, but very soluble, good solution till the next heavy dew.

Seeds put in on April 28th along with lime and 3cwt of 10-10-20.
A woeful month of may for growth and a plague of rabbits have it goosed I think.
Spread 30units of compound on it Saturday in the hope that we get a burst of growth to get it going.

Attachments

• 5220FB93-F380-42DC-838F-B387C5EF3580.jpeg
    5220FB93-F380-42DC-838F-B387C5EF3580.jpeg
    422.6 KB · Views: 127
  • 296E9E64-70FF-4E7A-BFB1-74693DD1DB53.jpeg
    296E9E64-70FF-4E7A-BFB1-74693DD1DB53.jpeg
    573.6 KB · Views: 125
A woeful month of may for growth and a plague of rabbits have it goosed I think.
Spread 30units of compound on it Saturday in the hope that we get a burst of growth to get it going.
We had 10 acres reseeded this time last year and the drought did it in thought it was gone completely as it just sat there bare for 2 months. Grew a hell of a crop of stuff after once it got going. Not perfect but it is good enough to live with

We will have a field of 1.5 acres for our horses to graze which currently has besides grass some docks, thistle, and nettle. Would this be worth ploughing and reseeding, or too much effort to do while and should just focus on clearing the worst patches.

The field is pretty square and should be tractor accesible, has rabbit proof(ish) fencing which requires local repairs. Location is Aberdeenshire, Scotland. There is another field which we can use for grazing while work is being done in this one

I'm a big fan of the Barenbrug seed mixtures as we used them on the farm when I was young. Would use traditional meadow mix supplemented with their herb mixture.

Someone was wondering about this before, the results of an amazone catros 2 runs on ley with a heavy cover of grass about 9 inches

Attachments

• 17D8434B-3DB2-43B5-8825-3AA006BD37F6.png
    17D8434B-3DB2-43B5-8825-3AA006BD37F6.png
    859 KB · Views: 144
Looks grand to me. I have direct drilled grass in the same day and its similar, but would have gotten no fertiliser as want it to develop itself. Will get on some over the next few days. Give it time and it will be grand

Finally got the reseed cut. The harvester will do some grunting picking it. Serious crop of stuff on it
Do you intend to ted it out, was in two reseeds today, one mowed and tedded yesterday and the other mowed yesterday but no tedding, everything knew the untedded stuff from harvester through trailers and pit man felt the extra weight which could only be moisture in or on the grass.

Do you intend to ted it out, was in two reseeds today, one mowed and tedded yesterday and the other mowed yesterday but no tedding, everything knew the untedded stuff from harvester through trailers and pit man felt the extra weight which could only be moisture in or on the grass.
I doubt I will. It Won't be picked up till Monday sometime and my tedder would sooner have a calf then try shake out the cut of stuff we have here

I find that stuff an absolute nightmare to pick after a tedder.
As lumpy as you'd meet

I doubt I will. It Won't be picked up till Monday sometime and my tedder would sooner have a calf then try shake out the cut of stuff we have here
I’ve tedded mine out and the slip clutch has cut in on more than one occasion. Drying well today though.

I’ve tedded mine out and the slip clutch has cut in on more than one occasion. Drying well today though.
I'd say I'd have to put the pro shaft off the Keenan onto the tedder to get it to Ted ours out and we all know how that would end up🤮.

Can you roll grass that is just peeping out of the ground? Never done it before and was asked to there

We reseeded reclaimed ground. It got wet after power harrowing it so we couldn't roll after seeding. We went across it just as it was peeping up with the double wheels on the 35. It really crowned it - any corner or strip that was missed didn't grow as well afetrwards.

Back