What are you up to in the workshop?

Anyone here take the bed apart in a Lely mower . Have a bearing gone in the section nearest the gearbox.

View attachment 92437
Aren’t they setup so each hub is a separate element all bolted together with a hex shaft running through the back of them to drive each unit? They don’t have a “bed oil” as each unit is individual and can be ran vertically if I’m not mistaken? Never actually been in one though 😕

Threads knackered . Anybody know where I could get this sorted preferably Clare or north Tipp. TIA.

Attachments

• IMG_20210530_102722.jpg
    IMG_20210530_102722.jpg
    232.8 KB · Views: 125
Threads knackered . Anybody know where I could get this sorted preferably Clare or north Tipp. TIA.

that's 3/8th you can obviously get them in1/2" as well if it's a 1/2" fitting

The air compressor gave up the ghost last week.
160ltr belt drive.
Pump seized solid!
Finding a strait swap pump is hard, and seemingly expensive
Is there much to fitting another brand pump?
Do pipes have to be steel? Or would hydraulic hose do to connect?

Is buying a smaller compressor with good cfm and linking the tanks an option?
Could be useful to move a small tank to where it's needed from time to time!

I've an old screw compressor here. Hydraulic hose from compressor to tank(with non return valve inline). Another tank under the first tank and both linked with hydraulic hose but with a turn off valve on the bottom one. Can just fill the top on it's own if I wish. The hydraulic hose was just meant to be temporary to see how it worked,but that was over ten years ago....:rolleyes:.

I've an old screw compressor here. Hydraulic hose from compressor to tank(with non return valve inline). Another tank under the first tank and both linked with hydraulic hose but with a turn off valve on the bottom one. Can just fill the top on it's own if I wish. The hydraulic hose was just meant to be temporary to see how it worked,but that was over ten years ago....:rolleyes:.
Told Dad the plan. His brain exploded with the idea of linking two cylinders (he over complicates things enormously!)

So I would up ordering a Hyundai 150ltr!😅

Got back with the drill and i'm well pleased with it, loading couldn't have been much easier. took about 2 2/4 hours to drive down but got straight to it. if we'd have been any earlier we'd have had to wait anyway as some lads had to move a surface grinder that was blocking access to the drill. we helped the lads out to load that and then they lifted it onto my trailer with their hiab, i asked them what they wanted for loading it but they said you've helped us so we'll help you, so that was nice.

I thought the hardest bit would be raising the drill off the floor to get the forks under it to move it, but it was already up on two wooden riser blocks so the lad working there was able to get straight under it and carry it to the door for me. There was a load of tooling, some clarkson auto lock chucks, a dividing head, loads of parallels and milling cutters, a machine vice and some other bits and pieces. the bits with it were worth the money alone, and the drill itself is in much better condition than i expected, there are two working bender rams, three heads and a massive box of formers and other tooling in the pipe bender lot as well. this is the drill still in the factory.

Photo0005.jpg

and loaded on the trailer.
Photo0006.jpg

Great looking drill, hard to imagine so few bidders on it. Bet you looked in the mirror a few times winding round the corners on the way home with that towering above you in the trailer.! Well Wear!! Wonder did the Mill sitting in the corner make big money, also looked like a Colchester Triumph lathe in there too?

Reactions: Bcl
You jammy jammy bastard
It was one of those rare days when things went better than expected, the lads with the surface grinder couldn't get their jack under the base of the grinder and i'd made a foot for my high lift jack to do this and had some metal wedges to get it in. anyway, it worked and we got them out of the shit and helped ourselves as well. as we were leaving i stopped at the gate of the unit to ring mrs seal to tell her we were loaded and on the way back, and i mentioned that for all the many tools i'd taken with me to do the job the only thing i actually used was the jack, and at this point i remembered we'd left it behind. which was lucky in itself as without just jogging my memory by mentioning it, i'd have lost the jack, the wedges and the sledge hammer. even luckier though as the other opportunity we'd have had to realise we'd left the jack behind was when we had a puncture on the land rover half way home.
Great looking drill, hard to imagine so few bidders on it. Bet you looked in the mirror a few times winding round the corners on the way home with that towering above you in the trailer.! Well Wear!! Wonder did the Mill sitting in the corner make big money, also looked like a Colchester Triumph lathe in there too?
There was a Triumph, i think it was an 1800, and a roundhead student lathe, tidy well used examples, all the tools were old but well looked after. i did ask how much they made and the guy was about to tell me but we got side tracked, he did say they made very strong money though.

I think many of the machines went for export as they were older, but this was just a bit too old and perhaps there's no export on it, i suspect other bidders might have been put off by the prospect of moving it, i admit i was a bit stressed about it, even though in the end i needn't have been, just hope the unloading goes as well as the loading.

I was talking to the lady who owned it and it turned out the machine shop had been run be her husband who had died of covid, he was only 70, it was a fair place, looked like a real old school engineering firm, such a shame to see it end like that. In line with what we were saying about tools outliving their owners, she said she was glad that most of the machines were going to be used again by people who would appreciate them

Bale handler was flopping around a bit last night,discovered a cracked stabiliser bracket and two of the four mounting bolts broken off in the casting .
Two bolts came out handy enough and a bit of bodging with the welder had it going again.

Attachments

• B3C9852A-91A4-449A-8347-015AAA73B77B.jpeg
    B3C9852A-91A4-449A-8347-015AAA73B77B.jpeg
    281.7 KB · Views: 103
  • 1D4F6120-CB20-4B19-9A5B-AEE7080AD943.jpeg
    1D4F6120-CB20-4B19-9A5B-AEE7080AD943.jpeg
    325.8 KB · Views: 103
Anyone buy bulk bolts online anywhere?

Were always popping to fetch a few bolts for a project or other, so I'm thinking a bulk buy of various length M10 and M12 bolts and a bulk or nylock nuts and washers.

Another thing we go through well is self tapping screws. Any advice on good sheet mettle to wood ones?

Nearest hardware sells ones with a very blunt end to them! Useless things! Lad on the counter suggested we pilot hole with a drill bit!ffs!
Wurth stuff is good

Reactions: AYF
Anyone buy bulk bolts online anywhere?

Were always popping to fetch a few bolts for a project or other, so I'm thinking a bulk buy of various length M10 and M12 bolts and a bulk or nylock nuts and washers.

Another thing we go through well is self tapping screws. Any advice on good sheet mettle to wood ones?

Nearest hardware sells ones with a very blunt end to them! Useless things! Lad on the counter suggested we pilot hole with a drill bit!ffs!
I bought some tek screws lately and nearly all wouldnt self tap. I thought it was just me. So looks like Ill be letting the retailer know, funny enough it was only one retailer I had the issue with, whereas any I bought elsewhere ie creameries or hardware merchants were fine.

Reactions: AYF
Need to fold some new mudguards for the volvo... Shop folded them on the long side now to fold the middle bends.

Attachments

• 517A9CCD-0AC1-4B70-805D-E3E21403BE2B.jpeg
    517A9CCD-0AC1-4B70-805D-E3E21403BE2B.jpeg
    295.8 KB · Views: 81
  • 9832AFE7-13B6-4304-AB8C-DFD2206FB9D8.jpeg
    9832AFE7-13B6-4304-AB8C-DFD2206FB9D8.jpeg
    347.3 KB · Views: 81
  • 92C81A66-408F-4899-BC7F-5CE113094569.jpeg
    92C81A66-408F-4899-BC7F-5CE113094569.jpeg
    355 KB · Views: 81
Back