Silage 2021

We do the same as ossie .put the sheets across the pit and cover 40-50 ft at a time . Easy work with a loader and 3 on the pit and 2 doing the sides .can cover 160 ×60 in 2 hrs .contractors don't touch covering pits around west cork. We have a few friends that give us a hand and we return the favour when they are at silage

I used have a pair of wellies fired in behind the seat back in my silage drawing days.
Doesn't matter who I'm drawing for, wellies are behind the seat.
We do the same as ossie .put the sheets across the pit and cover 40-50 ft at a time . Easy work with a loader and 3 on the pit and 2 doing the sides .can cover 160 ×60 in 2 hrs .contractors don't touch covering pits around west cork. We have a few friends that give us a hand and we return the favour when they are at silage
Our contractor here gives a hand covering the pit and we are thankful for it. The way they see it is they have to cover their own pit so they know the hardship.

Is it the guys on the machines that help with covering or a few lads that is employed by the contractor to help cover thats not lifting drawing or pushing up

Doesn't matter who I'm drawing for, wellies are behind the seat.

Our contractor here gives a hand covering the pit and we are thankful for it. The way they see it is they have to cover their own pit so they know the hardship.
I hope you fall in for his pit too In that case? :huh:

Is it the guys on the machines that help with covering or a few lads that is employed by the contractor to help cover thats not lifting drawing or pushing up
Lads on the machines usually. Might seem bonkers considering they have other customers to deal with but they cover the pits for them too

Lads on the machines usually. Might seem bonkers considering they have other customers to deal with but they cover the pits for them too
Christ thats a sight.if an hour lost at a pit its alot in a week.
Never happen up this way thankfully.someone grass could be in dry and end up been wet.contractors tbf keep pressing on and wouldnt entertain that messing .their under enough pressure to try and get grass in dry for everyone.

4 yrs ago had back surgery 2 weeks before the 1st cut and could only take a walk round to look at it, local macra club landed to the yard and covered the pit..vast majority never seen a pit.
Few of us that use same lad help each other covering now

Cut the silage on Thursday, tedded it three times and baled it this morning. Still savage green.
Close enough to 800kgs for me.
20210608_125455.jpg
20210608_125503.jpg

All bales here but a local farm worker used give us a hand when it was dung used on top of cover and ye all think tyres are dirty ,anyway your man was mighty worker and he would have all the dung leveled on top of pit as well as sides thightened ,think he said he helped covered something like 30 silage pits one year that will take beating on here

I used have a pair of wellies fired in behind the seat back in my silage drawing days.
Not allowed up on the pit here with boots, have to have wellies or runners because the boots supposedly tear the pit cover and move it too much, weather that's true or not I dont know.

A fecking calf went over our pit last year. Left hundreds of holes in the polythene. No one died but i gave the calf a right kick in the arse

Not laughing at the calf holing the plastic

Giving the calf a right kick in the arse .
I may have done similar , once , or maybe twice .

But at the end of the day , it was my own fault , for not shouting a gate/door etc .

Usually full of water and scutter, then as they get dumped on the plastic the water flows to every footstep, not a bother because we all wear wellingtons in tractors on the hottest days of summer, like fcuk we do and your boots would be destroyed.
Well I stacking them as neatly as possible on top of each other like a clamp of bales, they stay clean but obviously will be some water inside. Aslong as they are all dumped up on the pit they are easy organise ontop of the green netting in your own time if lads are in a rush

Well I stacking them as neatly as possible on top of each other like a clamp of bales, they stay clean but obviously will be some water inside. Aslong as they are all dumped up on the pit they are easy organise ontop of the green netting in your own time if lads are in a rush
one of the neighbours has bigger tyres. has them lined up so he could stick the pallet forks into them and lift 8 or 10 at a time. for us, all usually smaller tyres so they get fired into a heap but we use the buckrake to just scoop up whatever and dump on the pit and let lads throw tyres. not the cleanest and most organised way of doing it but no faffing about either

Back