Evenflow

It’s gone outta hand, I suppose it’s hard to blame the young lad, it’s the boss that giving them the gear, and the gear is huge, getting bigger every year and faster, and no experience, a 2wd 7610 and a handy trailer make a driver outta them
Was down in Lismore today and Mrs Bog Man was complaining about Fendt tractors some with Broughan trailers going fast through the town. I thought they were going slow.

Was down in Lismore today and Mrs Bog Man was complaining about Fendt tractors some with Broughan trailers going fast through the town. I thought they were going slow.
Same outfit that had a trailer turned over yesterday by that description.

I’ve a multi millionaire pissing about making haylage next door with x4 new fastracs,triple mowers baler the lot brand new for 60acres,money was made in selling his portable welfare unit business.

Lads who did my silage started out with a 7610 and a 6cyl Nuffield some 30 years ago,very impressive the list of kit they have now and they’d be on half the Irish rate for silage.

It takes all sorts,there’s very few build a decent living from ag contracting,if they do they’ve bust a bollock doing it.

I’ve a multi millionaire pissing about making haylage next door with x4 new fastracs,triple mowers baler the lot brand new for 60acres,money was made in selling his portable welfare unit business.

Lads who did my silage started out with a 7610 and a 6cyl Nuffield some 30 years ago,very impressive the list of kit they have now and they’d be on half the Irish rate for silage.

It takes all sorts,there’s very few build a decent living from ag contracting,if they do they’ve bust a bollock doing it.
Did you get any pics of the 3 harvesters putting in yours last week? Must have been serious work done in small
Time .

If you are referring to the outfit featured in the video clip, that business is 40 years old and was as impressive then as it is today... no cows or tillage backing it either to my knowledge!!
Suppose i was being a bit harsh liking it with some of them over here, as Scoff says the rates seem so much better over with you, obviously enough to make it stand up on its own.

Do the lads that put in your silage come when you want and do a decent job?
These lads don't do my silage. Whenever I deal with a business that has huge visible inefficiencies, I question how much I'm paying. Having 2 loaders on a small pit, or 2 harvesters on a job where they are sitting in the field idle for 60% of the time, I would wonder. I see 3 tractors with 80ft of mowing capacity, doing a 60acre job on twitter the other day. Madness

These lads don't do my silage. Whenever I deal with a business that has huge visible inefficiencies, I question how much I'm paying. Having 2 loaders on a small pit, or 2 harvesters on a job where they are sitting in the field idle for 60% of the time, I would wonder. I see 3 tractors with 80ft of mowing capacity, doing a 60acre job on twitter the other day. Madness
You didnt answer my question

id say tbf to flynns they run those machines seperate most of the time

Ozzy your argument makes no sense.
90%of farmers don't care what kind of gear the lad coming in the gate has.
5%want to be blowing everyone they meet that there contractor has bigger harvester loader ect than there neighbours.
5%then want to bitch and moan that your man has good gear and they are paying him too much.
Some load of shite same lads would be crying then if they got broke down and they would go and get someone else the following year.

Do the lads that put in your silage come when you want and do a decent job

Not sure what difference this makes when we are commenting on a particular video.

But since you want an answer, no, to the first question as they can't possibly, having lots of customers looking for them at the same time, you have to be understanding as a customer, when conditions are ideal everyone wants the job done. The work is ample.

Explain what odds this makes please

I do have the same thoughts myself. The scale of the outfits is beyond some places now being honest.

I watched a neighbour bring a contractor out to pick 18 acres of grass on Sunday evening, they had to leave 8 acres of it as it just simply wouldn't fit in the pit (half last year's pit left over) and the yard isn't fit for anything other than a horse and cart. Had to ring another man to bale it after. At least 1 million worth of gear tied up in that outfit. Another contractor then drove an hour round trip last night to pick a 7 acre pit for a man with more notions than sense, (could have been baled surely), another 1million quid tied up in that outfit. They picked it in a half hour.

I can't really understand how they expect to charge the same rate per acre to pick 100 acres of grass as they do when going to pick 10 acres jobs to be honest, as surely the gear they have only makes sense on the bigger jobs now. I am sure they get paid going out the gate maybe on the smaller jobs (maybe they get it going out the gate on the bigger jobs too) but I think if the harvester was mine, I'd probably be telling those lads to make a few bales instead of the pit.

That you can be sure of, flynns would be running a very productive silage campaign maximising every machine to its full capacity, they cut serious acerage...
Agreed 100%, they normally run the two outfits separately and very efficient and productive. I believe they even have a third spare harvester in the event of a breakdown of any of the main ones. That is not a very old machine either.
I remember first noticing them in the 1980s, when there was a photo of John getting the keys of a large new (CAT I think) loader on the Journal or some other paper, big news at the time. He continued to build up at a steady pace to the present level. Full time contracting plus excavators.

I do have the same thoughts myself. The scale of the outfits is beyond some places now being honest.

I watched a neighbour bring a contractor out to pick 18 acres of grass on Sunday evening, they had to leave 8 acres of it as it just simply wouldn't fit in the pit (half last year's pit left over) and the yard isn't fit for anything other than a horse and cart. Had to ring another man to bale it after. At least 1 million worth of gear tied up in that outfit. Another contractor then drove an hour round trip last night to pick a 7 acre pit for a man with more notions than sense, (could have been baled surely), another 1million quid tied up in that outfit. They picked it in a half hour.

I can't really understand how they expect to charge the same rate per acre to pick 100 acres of grass as they do when going to pick 10 acres jobs to be honest, as surely the gear they have only makes sense on the bigger jobs now. I am sure they get paid going out the gate maybe on the smaller jobs (maybe they get it going out the gate on the bigger jobs too) but I think if the harvester was mine, I'd probably be telling those lads to make a few bales instead of the pit.
I wonder would there be a place for a trailed harvester outfit for them type of jobs...........:laugh:........I'll get My coat.....

On the topic of fast tractors. Grassmen were doing a video down the road up around @Rathbran s country the other day with their fastracs at work, the hoors nearly ploughed into me when I was turning into a field, and it's not like you could miss what I was at, had the beacon On, the indicators and even turned on the rear marker lights as break lights in an attempt to get them to slow down, no chance at all of that happening, skidded the tractor across the road into the field shaking the shite out of myself in the process.

Your man whom I found out that the fastrac was property of grassmen said they nearly caused an accident passing him in the jeep with the cattle trailer.

It would have been understandable if they were busy but was talking to a lad who was working with them and he said they drew 5 loads and recorded and talked for the rest of the day letting on they were busy. I know they're famous and all but that doesn't mean they own the roads.

I see some lads driving machines i wouldnt let them drive nails. Ive seen some purposely break gear so they could get off early. Anytime i worked for a contractor i tried to treat the gear as if it was my own, i even been mocked at by other lads for being too slow. Personaly id rather keep the trailer upright and make it to the yard than being pictured on whatsapp boasting about the latest thing ive made sh$t of.
Had a lad only at that buisness today. Was giving out why I was taking it handy on the back roads, he couldn't grasp the concept of what if a child or someone was to run out on front of you or what if you had to pull in for a car or hit a pothole and make sh*te of a wheel.

Similar buissnes to what you describe went on this week too bar it wasn't to do with breaking, it was to do with not fixing. A belt on the jf needed changing and I'm out of action for that job so Your man had to see would one of his realities do it, none of them would purley because they wanted to force your man into getting the loan of a self propelled instead of lifting it himself with the jf because they deem the jf too slow.

Had a lad only at that buisness today. Was giving out why I was taking it handy on the back roads, he couldn't grasp the concept of what if a child or someone was to run out on front of you or what if you had to pull in for a car or hit a pothole and make sh*te of a wheel.

Similar buissnes to what you describe went on this week too bar it wasn't to do with breaking, it was to do with not fixing. A belt on the jf needed changing and I'm out of action for that job so Your man had to see would one of his realities do it, none of them would purley because they wanted to force your man into getting the loan of a self propelled instead of lifting it himself with the jf because they deem the jf too slow.
Did you say your doing the leaving cert?

How do these lads get enough drivers I can't understand.
Although so far this year I've got some amount of what apps and snapchats of rolled trailers and other machinery.
I suppose that tells the story of the lads that are put up on these yokes
I often wonder about the drivers and what sort of payroll system is in operation, lads that appear as substitutes for others like filling in for a lad that has to go milk cows on farm relief or the like, it does be like musical chairs at times.

Back