Landcruiser engine recon

I would assume they would ask a five figure sum 🤔?
They may surprise you with the price plus the work and parts may have a 12 month warranty. Also a lad I know with a similar issue to original poster upgraded his jeep for the price of the engine work required through a main dealer.

It costs nothing to get a quote. Up to yourself after, who you give the work to.

Last edited:
I suppose the danger with giving an engine in for a recon job, is you could get well get a phone call with more bad news.
I know a lad that gave a 390 engine in, and it ran into

for a S/h engine for €1000 or €1500 maybe, but a €3000 ‘reconditioned’ engine I think 3 months isn’t great
Not much hope getting a d4d Landcruiser engine for 1k to 1.5k I would imagine .Dony advertise as having engine fully done top to bottom and you put back your own turbo ,starter etc I think .
Remember ringing them plus another crowd in Louth or Meath and the time frame was pretty long at that stage but that's almost a year ago .
Brother in law had same issue about the same time and he bit the bullet and went for 2021 2.8 Landcruiser .Ballpark low 40's I think with almost non running 07 trade in .
Only difference is that he is a dairy farmer and only black and white things about here are the sheepdogs .

Toyota did mine a few yrs back 6k .full rebuild and she is starting to drink a bit of oil now again after 100k .550 k on the clock now

Looking at reconing an engine in my landcruiser, found some iron fillings in the sump and filter at the weekend. My regular man said minimum of 4k would be the cost and maybe allot more. A local lad had this crowd take out and fit a recon Landcruiser engine for 3k. Anyone ever used them, or know of them. http://donyengineering.ie/supply-of-engines/. Or someone else that they could recommend? Engine is still ticking over perfect so hope damage isnt bad
2 people that I know got land cruiser engines rebuilt in castlebar https://enginere.ie/. I don't know why they did not go to the more local place linked above. An uncle of my wife's also got his done in castlebar - 6 month warranty but cost €4500 and that was a few years ago. Prices will have gone up a bit since that.

Last edited:
2 people that I know got land cruiser engines rebuilt in castlebar https://enginere.ie/. I don't know they did not go to the more local place linked above. An uncle of my wife's also got his done in castlebar - 6 month warranty but cost €4500 and that was a few years ago. Prices will have gone up a bit since that.
Our local spanner man sends all engines to Castlebar this past 5 plus years . Recons that they are as good as you will find .

Just a question, and I did own a 05 Landcruiser and got on well enough with it, but are they slightly overrated? I have had a few Mitsubishi Pajeros also and would rate them a better jeep, might be just my Landcruiser wasn't as good as others maybe. Pajero is certainly more comfortable in my opinion though definitely not as lively to pull a load. Pajero better value too.

Looking at reconing an engine in my landcruiser, found some iron fillings in the sump and filter at the weekend. My regular man said minimum of 4k would be the cost and maybe allot more. A local lad had this crowd take out and fit a recon Landcruiser engine for 3k. Anyone ever used them, or know of them. http://donyengineering.ie/supply-of-engines/. Or someone else that they could recommend? Engine is still ticking over perfect so hope damage isnt bad

Any developments on this , @Ozzy Scott ?

So, have 2 weeks of motoring done and 2,800kms clocked, so far, so good. Warranty was 6months of 10,000kms. will probably drop the oil next week and see how its looking. Will probably do again just before warranty is up and might also drop the sump to make sure everything is good. @Bog Man what is the name of the crowd that analysis the oil and whats the price per sample?

Last edited:
So, have 2 weeks of motoring done and 2,500kms clocked, so far, so good. Warranty was 6months of 10,000kms. will probably drop the oil next week and see how its looking. Will probably do again just before warranty is up and might also drop the sump to make sure everything is good. @Bog Man what is the name of the crowd that analysis the oil and whats the price per sample?

Back with issues on this girl, assuming injector failed and melted a liner. had 75,000 Kms done since engine rebuild. I always suspected it had a cracked ring after rebuild, as it consumed a little too much oil. Back to the same place as they probably can do it quickly, or wait a good few weeks for my local lad to rebuild it. decisions, decisions.
650k on the clock, but she is DOE and going perfect up to that moment. will buy nothing for less than 10k, so will be fixed

Thats
Back with issues on this girl, assuming injector failed and melted a liner. had 75,000 Kms done since engine rebuild. I always suspected it had a cracked ring after rebuild, as it consumed a little too much oil. Back to the same place as they probably can do it quickly, or wait a good few weeks for my local lad to rebuild it. decisions, decisions.
650k on the clock, but she is DOE and going perfect up to that moment. will buy nothing for less than 10k, so will be fixed
That's very high mileage for a farmer 25,000 miles/year. Around €8 grand/year of diesel. How much of that mileage is pulling a trailer.
We're you not better with a small van or car for some of that mileage, 1/2 the running costs and more comfortable.

Thats

That's very high mileage for a farmer 25,000 miles/year. Around €8 grand/year of diesel. How much of that mileage is pulling a trailer.
We're you not better with a small van or car for some of that mileage, 1/2 the running costs and more comfortable.

I was in the company of 2 elderly brothers , both farmers about 35 yrs ago . One of them had bought his 1st diesel car about 6 months previously and was telling the other lad about how much money he was saving , on doing 20000 miles a yr .

If you are doing 20000 miles a year , you couldn't call yourself a farmer .
It's a commercial traveller you are..

Thats

Were you not better with a small van or car for some of that mileage, 1/2 the running costs and more comfortable.
Pulling a trailer 99% of the time, ideally a berlingo would do for the outbound journey and a landcruiser to get home

You lot are making me nervous; my landcruiser is at 450k and last thing I need is another big bill and the jeep out of action

I think I might pull off the sump and check oil strainer.
I have the egr valve blocked; but I have an oil leak and I think it’s the intercooler.

Is it worth removing it and cleaning it out?

Any other tips? Checks ?

You lot are making me nervous; my landcruiser is at 450k and last thing I need is another big bill and the jeep out of action

I think I might pull off the sump and check oil strainer.
I have the egr valve blocked; but I have an oil leak and I think it’s the intercooler.

Is it worth removing it and cleaning it out?

Any other tips? Checks ?
I know I get the strainer cleaned every service and they say it’s a big help to them, then again it didn’t stop mine calving at 180 on the clock

Back