Farmland and environmental protection

That was about 100 meters from the river suir on the sea side of Waterford city looking across at Waterford castle. from what I read lately that estuary had 20k tonnes of nitrogen per year washed down it, no wonder the dragon fly had a nice green colour.
I have seen Dragonflies near the stream that carries most of the runoff from our farm. They must be very resilient if they can live in that dead zone hellhole .

One of the daughters took this picture.
FB1F87F1-273D-46FB-BAA2-3CAF302857FC.jpeg

Place is full of bluebells.

Attachments

• 3EAC9D50-3C39-4F29-826C-5B741820EEA9.jpeg
    3EAC9D50-3C39-4F29-826C-5B741820EEA9.jpeg
    533.3 KB · Views: 123
  • 862554C4-72FF-4EB7-BA33-732BD53E28CF.jpeg
    862554C4-72FF-4EB7-BA33-732BD53E28CF.jpeg
    415.7 KB · Views: 123
  • 22C05B65-877A-430C-B977-416E3252A45A.jpeg
    22C05B65-877A-430C-B977-416E3252A45A.jpeg
    196.6 KB · Views: 119
  • 6A1A9C93-790E-45A9-970F-A479E929DBF1.jpeg
    6A1A9C93-790E-45A9-970F-A479E929DBF1.jpeg
    475.9 KB · Views: 120
I've heard them called goblins thimbles
Witches fingers is what our grandparents thought us to call them when we were children.

It's amazing the different names that people have on different plants in different parts of the country, and some of them the are the same name as other plants that we know. It's a real heritage that is being lost with increased urbanisation. I remember more than 20 years ago when I was in College, we went on a field trip to a community farm as part of a community development module. I was the only farmer on the course, many of the rest were from towns and cities, but some were from the country. We were brought around the hedgerows, me in my wellies and the rest of them in their white runners and the tutor was pointing out plant species and tree seeds and fruits. One or 2 of the rest were able to recognise ash trees, but none could identify what haws or sloes were. I got a bit of ridicule when I identified the cuckoo charlie's and the tutor didn't even have a name for them. I doubt that too many people on here would have dined on cuckoo charlie's back in the day?

Witches fingers is what our grandparents thought us to call them when we were children.

It's amazing the different names that people have on different plants in different parts of the country, and some of them the are the same name as other plants that we know. It's a real heritage that is being lost with increased urbanisation. I remember more than 20 years ago when I was in College, we went on a field trip to a community farm as part of a community development module. I was the only farmer on the course, many of the rest were from towns and cities, but some were from the country. We were brought around the hedgerows, me in my wellies and the rest of them in their white runners and the tutor was pointing out plant species and tree seeds and fruits. One or 2 of the rest were able to recognise ash trees, but none could identify what haws or sloes were. I got a bit of ridicule when I identified the cuckoo charlie's and the tutor didn't even have a name for them. I doubt that too many people on here would have dined on cuckoo charlie's back in the day?
I've never heard of cuckoo charlie's before, what are they? I'm slowly enlightening myself on the various species of plants and animals around but it takes a while to build up the knowledge.

I've never heard of cuckoo charlie's before, what are they? I'm slowly enlightening myself on the various species of plants and animals around but it takes a while to build up the knowledge.
They are a type of clover that only grows on a mossy bank - usually beneath a hedge. I think they need acidic soil to grow. It has a kind of a spicy flavour and years ago it was used to flavour food. As kids, my grandparents used to pick them for us to eat.

It's the local name for it so I bet someone has a different name for it?

They are a type of clover that only grows on a mossy bank - usually beneath a hedge. I think they need acidic soil to grow. It has a kind of a spicy flavour and years ago it was used to flavour food. As kids, my grandparents used to pick them for us to eat.

Sheep sorrel,/clover sorrel?

Have you a snap of it ,
Or when would it appear ?

Sheep sorrel,/clover sorrel?
Had to google it, but yes, that's it - Wood Sorrel with the heart shaped leaves rather than the round leaves that clover has.
Have you a snap of it ,
Or when would it appear ?

Again, I got this pic from google. If I remember correctly, it will be there all summer, but early summer ones tend to be sour whereas when they get into August, they are much tastier. The flavour was in the stem of them rather than in the leaves.
1625836899041.png

Back