Sheep handling unit upgrade

Danube

I'm looking to replace the wooden support posts for the sheep race here with steel posts. Is the rapid setting concrete suitable for this? Would they need to be galvanised or would painted be good enough? Tia

That rapid stuff should do fine. Though it is quite a bit dearer if doing a few.
We used old galv scaffolding posts. Cheap as chips.
Don't know if it must be galv. Not exactly sitting in slurry, but it's bound to help longevity.

Thanks for that. The main reason I was asking about the rapid cement is because it's on a block of land away from the yard and the rapid would be handier. They would be ideal alright. Kind of spur of the moment purchase earlier. My father insisted that we were going to get steel for it today. Ended up with a few 1250mm lengths of 4mm wall 50mm box. It'll definitely be strong enough anyway🤣 I was down with the pick and shovel digging holes at 9PM because it was far too hot to be at that craic before that. Between the stones and the hardcore it was hard going. My God our forefathers were fair men to do all their work with no power tools.

Thanks for that. The main reason I was asking about the rapid cement is because it's on a block of land away from the yard and the rapid would be handier. They would be ideal alright. Kind of spur of the moment purchase earlier. My father insisted that we were going to get steel for it today. Ended up with a few 1250mm lengths of 4mm wall 50mm box. It'll definitely be strong enough anyway🤣 I was down with the pick and shovel digging holes at 9PM because it was far too hot to be at that craic before that. Between the stones and the hardcore it was hard going. My God our forefathers were fair men to do all their work with no power tools.
Our forefathers would have had a crew of men to help!
Many hands and all that!

That should do fine.
Perhaps a dip in red oxide would be a good job for them? Especially outside.

I've a few holes needing dug, and I'm thinking hiring a mini digger is bound to be better than heatstroke!😂

Yeah I will spray them tomorrow with the gun with some paint I have leftover. Should do fine. Yeah they'll be full time outside. They're going down about 25cm into the ground. What width of a hole would you want or is it not that exact a science. If it was a standard mix it would be no bother but with the rapid cement I don't want to be wasteful.

That would be a great job. With one of them post augers on it and you'd be laughing.

Yeah I will spray them tomorrow with the gun with some paint I have leftover. Should do fine. Yeah they'll be full time outside. They're going down about 25cm into the ground. What width of a hole would you want or is it not that exact a science. If it was a standard mix it would be no bother but with the rapid cement I don't want to be wasteful.

That would be a great job. With one of them post augers on it and you'd be laughing.
Hole doesn't need to be huge I don't think.
A foot in every direction should be plenty big.
I don't think the posts for our race are any deeper than that. Less if anything.

A lot depends on the type of race I suppose, ours is narrow, 1.5 big ewes width. So very little pressure on the sides really.

Hole doesn't need to be huge I don't think.
A foot in every direction should be plenty big.
I don't think the posts for our race are any deeper than that. Less if anything.

A lot depends on the type of race I suppose, ours is narrow, 1.5 big ewes width. So very little pressure on the sides really.
Yeah that's the kind of hole size I had in mind. Is say ours is slightly narrower.

Would anyone care to put up pictures of their fixed sheep handing setups? I'm thinking about getting a few sheep. Something basic will do to get me started with a flock number and I can improve it afterwards.

Back