Older diggers for farm use

Has anyone used one of the new melcalac diggers yet?. Looks a fine digger, know a man who traded his 860 terex for one this year. An impressive looking machine

Anyone who I ever spoke to who drove them "back in the day" always said the JCB was better for digging and the Massey was better for loading.
Aye that's what Your man was saying. If you were digging in a straight line and on solid ground the JCB was meant to be the best job but anything else the ford and massey was the best job.

Heard that too, think it was to do with one single crowd and dump ram on the loader being faster to cycle.
50’s all had twin bucket rams but the big difference between them and 3cx of the same era was that the rams worked in the opposite manner, to crowd back a 3cx front bucket the rams were pulling in but on a Massey they were pushing out. I’d imagine it had to give the Massey a better break out force, I know the one here could pull the arse up off the ground at times if you bury the dung fork into the shed and it doesn’t break free easily.

The 860’s with the single ram were grand but not ideal for farm work if any low sheds were involved as the ram sticks up a lot when you dump the bucket if I’m not mistaken

Aye that's what Your man was saying. If you were digging in a straight line and on solid ground the JCB was meant to be the best job but anything else the ford and massey was the best job.
I drove a Ford 4550 and the JCB would bury it . The Ford had a very strong bucket tear out but the JCB would handle a bigger bucket.
The Massey would not compare to either the JCB or Ford .

I drove a Ford 4550 and the JCB would bury it . The Ford had a very strong bucket tear out but the JCB would handle a bigger bucket.
I believe your man said his digger was a 1968 ford and the thing that sold it to him was it was a good light digger for the work it could do and it must have been good enough as it made him a millionaire there for a while. The mechanic reckoned the massey was the best of the lot and hes had a 3c mk3 for for the last 40 years, actually think hes on about selling it now. He's meant to be the last good old fashioned mechanic still going in meath and him pushing 80. The sweeping and the weight of them is what he reckons is they're downfall.

I believe your man said his digger was a 1968 ford and the thing that sold it to him was it was a good light digger for the work it could do and it must have been good enough as it made him a millionaire there for a while. The mechanic reckoned the massey was the best of the lot and hes had a 3c mk3 for for the last 40 years, actually think hes on about selling it now. He's meant to be the last good old fashioned mechanic still going in meath and him pushing 80. The sweeping and the weight of them is what he reckons is they're downfall.
Isn't it a wonder he never made an attempt to upgrade it to a Massey or a Ford at some stage.

Isn't it a wonder he never made an attempt to upgrade it to a Massey or a Ford at some stage.
He has a bit of a soft spot for the jcbs. He says he just couldn't find one that hadn't been worked to the ground. He wouldn't be a man for done deal either. Anything he buys it's by ear or hear say.

Another small massey. This one has a linkage, but thinking about it, if it has torque then can it have a pto?

It will probably has a pto shaft .
But it will turn clockwise going forward, and anti clockwise if you reverse .

That's 60 years old , if it's a day .

The best thing about a 3c is the weight for scrap.😛

Leave the concrete and they beach,coming up 25 years since I sold ours,poor bugger bought it for a barn conversation he was doing.

What is the story with these? A rigid version of the Teleram?
There was a Massey Ferguson branded version of them as well, built by Matbro as well (I think) but with Perkins engine and MF Powershuttle trans

Attachments

• IMG_20210801_123839268.jpg
    IMG_20210801_123839268.jpg
    364.4 KB · Views: 27
There was a Massey Ferguson branded version of them as well, built by Matbro as well (I think) but with Perkins engine and MF Powershuttle trans

I thought those MF24's were Sambrons or other French make to be honest!

There is one of them a mile from here this past 18 months . I havent seen it . The owner describes the skid unit as a "Backways 50 HX ". I must ramble over for a look.

If it’s got the Ford axle and Chrysler gearbox it wants avoiding,then again any handler at 35 years old wants avoiding.
Fairly sure those had the clarke box in like the teleram C, it was only the early pivot steer with the Chrysler!

Back