Grass Growth Rates

Whats your plan with regard to getting back on track? Have you extended the rotation and buffered or have you continuing around in a 20 + day round and just feeding heavy till things improve?If rain comes in heavy down pours as much may run off as soak in.
Just shows tho wet or dry land or areas, a carryover of silage is the best insurance policy for both when it comes to weather

Whats your plan with regard to getting back on track? Have you extended the rotation and buffered or have you continuing around in a 20 + day round and just feeding heavy till things improve?If rain comes in heavy down pours as much may run off as soak in.
Just shows tho wet or dry land or areas, a carryover of silage is the best insurance policy for both when it comes to weather
Extended the rotation to keep grass in the diet. Feeding silage and extra concentrate under the back fence strip wire in the A and B blocks. There's still good grass in the C block as that's on cooler ground so that's a good help. They haven't gone back too much in milk. Silage is ok but I am regretting selling the last few loads of beet in March rather than chopping and pitting it. It would be ideal fodder for times like this. It's something we will look into for next year.

A mute point maybe, but surely timing and ambient weather conditions have much more to do with the environmental impacts of chemical fertilisers than the products used.

I'd say we'll have to get used to using it. The emissions from other products are much higher and I doubt we'll be left much option except protected urea in a few years time.
There are always other options, the problem is the influence vested interests have in decision making

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210730-121932_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210730-121932_Chrome.jpg
    254.4 KB · Views: 149
I'd say we'll have to get used to using it. The emissions from other products are much higher and I doubt we'll be left much option except protected urea in a few years time.
The cost of it next season will knock it on the head when it has the potential to be €550 per tonne

The cost of it next season will knock it on the head when it has the potential to be €550 per tonne
Maybe, but CAN won't exactly be cheap either next year.
I've used compounds and protected urea this year and I can't say I've seen a difference in growths between either tbh. Trial data and monitor farm data and most of the lads I know measuring growths would say there's little difference.

It's up to lads to make up their own minds on it but I reckon it'll be the nearly the only choice available in a few years so the whole argument is more or less moot at this stage.

Any particular reason why ye think fertiliser will become even more expensive next year? At those prices, it will go out of fashion anyways, so the greens and co won't have to worry about getting farmers to cut down on the use of it.

Yes urea will be starting with a 5 next year looking at markets at the moment. CAN was half the price a few weeks ago delivered to port.

We need to still use urea, just completely up, the 20% utilisation figure. Thats a bonkers figure

UREA could be bought for 320 at Christmas, and based on yer observations above you expect it to be 500 minimum next year, but oil price has not really risen by the same ratio in that period, so hard to say what this price rise is based on other than opportunism?

UREA could be bought for 320 at Christmas, and based on yer observations above you expect it to be 500 minimum next year, but oil price has not really risen by the same ratio in that period, so hard to say what this price rise is based on other than opportunism?
Shipping and container costs have gone ballistic since the start of the ending of lockdown.

And gas

World maize price has climbed dramatically, even Irish grain price are up 20%, demand is driving price, farmers are making money

Back