The youth of today, grumpy old men and nice women.

My friend is working on a site the last few weeks in cork city , he was saying that young fellas want to do nothing and get payed for it . heads are looking down at a phone and hands hanging . No drive and now hunger to get the job done . a first year apprentice mother call to the office to complain about him , that tells you a lot .

@sparkey or @086lavey will confirm but any electrical work other than basicly changing a plug or a bulb has to be done by a qualified person, and not confined to just bathrooms.
Is it has the case that the work can be signed off on by a qualified spark? Crazy to think you need to be an electrician to install a shower. It's literally 3 screws in a joiner.

Is it has the case that the work can be signed off on by a qualified spark? Crazy to think you need to be an electrician to install a shower. It's literally 3 screws in a joiner.
I'd say the sparkie would have to ascertain that the electrical work was to the required standard and that the safety devices were working as intended and us Joe Soaps haven't the equipment to test those. So at the end of the day you'd have to pay the sparkie to do that so you'd be as well get value for money and let them at the full job.
The shower scenario is not just the shower, it's the wire, isolating switch and the RCBO and back further.
Another scenario is a lad I know has a business building control panels and he is qualified to design them and build them, he even says anyone with a bit of training could build them, but he has to employ an electrician to test them so he has the electrician there building too.

@sparkey or @086lavey will confirm but any electrical work other than basicly changing a plug or a bulb has to be done by a qualified person, and not confined to just bathrooms.

not far off it .

Say the shower replacement above. old showers were around 8 KW. a lot of the new showers are 10.5 KW . need to ensure that the cable is heavy enough for the increased load, the protection device in the fuseboard is big enough & possibly the cable from the board to the ESB meter is heavy enough. also is the esb supply to the building now good enough for the extra load taking into account the extra power usage in a modern house & farm yard over the past few years,

not far off it .

Say the shower replacement above. old showers were around 8 KW. a lot of the new showers are 10.5 KW . need to ensure that the cable is heavy enough for the increased load, the protection device in the fuseboard is big enough & possibly the cable from the board to the ESB meter is heavy enough. also is the esb supply to the building now good enough for the extra load taking into account the extra power usage in a modern house & farm yard over the past few years,
The amount of call outs I get from people after a shower was changed by the plumber,
End of the day , people only care about cost, not a job completed properly, it’s a sad truth

Local man here was telling me recently he was having a shower one day & thought he was getting a touch of a electric shock from the water.

After he confirmed he wasn't imagining it, he contacted his electrician, who checked out the shower & found 22volts in the water through the shower.

Turns out a new water pump was fitted for the well & the plumber who fitted it didn't use the water proof box for the electrical connection. Just wrapped wires up with tape.

This plumber is very well known locally, but traditionally has divided opinion among people locally.

The amount of call outs I get from people after a shower was changed by the plumber,
End of the day , people only care about cost, not a job completed properly, it’s a sad truth
Same, once came across a shower, fan heater and extractor fan all tapped off the cooker circuit. A lot of electricians can be poor enough at their jobs let alone having to deal with work after guys who think it's just live neutral and earth is optional🤐 🙈

Local man here was telling me recently he was having a shower one day & thought he was getting a touch of a electric shock from the water.

After he confirmed he wasn't imagining it, he contacted his electrician, who checked out the shower & found 22volts in the water through the shower.

Turns out a new water pump was fitted for the well & the plumber who fitted it didn't use the water proof box for the electrical connection. Just wrapped wires up with tape.

This plumber is very well known locally, but traditionally has divided opinion among people locally.

Could have finished up badly 😢.

There'd be a father and son plumber team fairly local , who'd sort of fix things.

Father is known as "The Leak ", and the son is known as " The Drip ".

When we got the first shower fitted at home in the early 90s it was fitted by a handyman/electrician, back then tradesmen were rarely questioned of their qualifications. I remember it was a Heatre Sadia shower and after about 6 months of using it I was in it one night when the ceiling light dimmed and a shower of sparks came out of the bottom of the shower unit. I managed to pull the power cord and kill the power, the old screw in fuse didn't blow for some reason. To this day I don't know how I wasn't fried, the burn marks were on the chrome hose leading to the shower head. The man who fitted it had gone to the UK to work so we got in a registered electrician to check it out, can't remember exactly what the fault was but I do know he found the earth cable was way too small to carry away the available power. To this day I've always been very meticulous with electricity.

Same, once came across a shower, fan heater and extractor fan all tapped off the cooker circuit. A lot of electricians can be poor enough at their jobs let alone having to deal with work after guys who think it's just live neutral and earth is optional🤐 🙈
I have a friend who is fitting smart meters in houses, he has encountered some ridiculous readings at houses. They run a mile from them. Some places are running on hopes and dreams

not far off it .

Back years ago before we got a bigger transformer in it would be great craic on a Saturday evening, if we were welding in the workshop and neighbour decided to have a shower the milking parlour used to cut out!!!!!

Back years ago before we got a bigger transformer in it would be great craic on a Saturday evening, if we were welding in the workshop and neighbour decided to have a shower the milking parlour used to cut out!!!!!
We used to have the same. Have my own transformer here now. On the shower electrics. The lad who was here the other day said the shower switch is normally one of the biggest in the house.

pressure pumped water and good mixer shower and you’ll never take an electric shower again
In my house we have solar tubes for hot water in the summer, back boiler on a 21kw stove for hot water in the winter. Definitely keeps the electric bills down.

In my house we have solar tubes for hot water in the summer, back boiler on a 21kw stove for hot water in the winter. Definitely keeps the electric bills down.
What plumbing setup do you have for that? The reason I ask is that we have a vented system with boiler stove but going to have a unvented system going forward. A plumber I got to look at the job said it would be difficult to fit the boiler stove without a manifold. I'm reading up on the various methods to figure out what the best way forward is.

On the subject of electricity, have people noticed an increase in bills?
Our farm and house is costing 750 every two months.we are providing lighting for the glamping site also I guess

Back 20yrs ago my folks enquireed about fitting electric shower. Plumber told them if uve enough water pressure go mixer, alot less bother.
In our let house we fitted an electric shower over one of the baths to allow for use if the combi oil boiler is ever off,have the same here but 4 bathrooms and two boilers,there always hot water somewhere.

Back