Gate Ideas

lough

I have a 3 bay shed 48ft long by 13ft wide. I want to divide it up into temporary calving pens. One pen will be 16ft by 13ft and the other two pens will be 16ft long by 9ft wide.
I want to make up all the gates so that they are hinged and I can swing them out of the way and open the shed up.
I want to make a couple of the gates with a smaller gate inside the bigger gate. The problem is I need the main frame of the gate to cross under the smaller gate, I need it low to the ground to get into the pen but if its low to the ground then the main gate won't open. How would I get around it20210910_112801.jpg20210910_112754.jpg20210910_114743.jpg

Hang the smaller gate from the oposite pillar?
Then some way of closing them together?
Not in the middle but the most viable option?

If I have understood that is!

Hang the smaller gate from the oposite pillar?
Then some way of closing them together?
Not in the middle but the most viable option?

If I have understood that is!
That would work in that position but I also want to put a 4 ft gate into Gate D and F (I haven't marked F but it the next one along from E)

+1 latching together is v easy
I have shown gate B and D with a gap between them just to show that it is two separate gates but when I was going to make them I was going to make them both a foot longer so they would overlap each other and use a couple of shackles to hold them together

Teemore have a heavy duty gate with a 4 ft access panel option and a cheaper pedestrian gate options both shown below.

Also have a coral gate system this may also suit your application. Link below for coral system for consideration

Equipment is easy to fit and gates can be easily adjusted depending on length required. Not affiliated with teemore but find the stuff quality.

I have shown gate B and D with a gap between them just to show that it is two separate gates but when I was going to make them I was going to make them both a foot longer so they would overlap each other and use a couple of shackles to hold them together
Could you not hinge the 4ft gate from the end of the 9ft gate and then chain the end of the 4ft to the wall keeping both closed

Could you not hinge the 4ft gate from the end of the 9ft gate and then chain the end of the 4ft to the wall keeping both closed
I also want to use the 4ft gate as a feed barrier, I'm not to sure if it would work ok flexing and bending

Teemore have a heavy duty gate with a 4 ft access panel option and a cheaper pedestrian gate options both shown below.

Also have a coral gate system this may also suit your application. Link below for coral system for consideration

Equipment is easy to fit and gates can be easily adjusted depending on length required. Not affiliated with teemore but find the stuff quality.
There flat out delivering.see their attic passing most days by us. A relation of mine does the smaller deliveries with the wee truck.hes 76 and loves getting out on the road and meeting farmers

The 13ft gate is the difficult one and I take you are well able to make up gates rather than buying them in ;)

I would start with a frame 4ft wide and high enough to walk through or put an animal through. Make it of heavy box and put your smaller gate inside it .

Then make up the rest the gate, stepping up a foot to clear straw and say 4ft high.

The heavy frame end should be the hanging end and then put hangers onto the frame to hang gate b. Something like 80x40x4 would do it I think.

Attachments

• 16316842930418694094395722739715.jpg
    16316842930418694094395722739715.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 39
The 13ft gate is the difficult one and I take you are well able to make up gates rather than buying them in ;)

I would start with a frame 4ft wide and high enough to walk through or put an animal through. Make it of heavy box and put your smaller gate inside it .

Then make up the rest the gate, stepping up a foot to clear straw and say 4ft high.

The heavy frame end should be the hanging end and then put hangers onto the frame to hang gate b. Something like 80x40x4 would do it I think.
I was thinking since of doing something like this but I would do the round bar top and bottom. If I had some kind of mechanism so that I could lift it when opening it.

1631821199278.png

I was thinking since of doing something like this but I would do the round bar top and bottom. If I had some kind of mechanism so that I could lift it when opening it.

View attachment 97352
Stables near here did a similar ish idea on a set of mesh gates on the front of loose boxes, they basically left the hinge end of the gate as a large open pipe then put a longish bar down through it, with one or 2 bolts through to hold it at whatever height was needed. The only thing I thought with it was that it was probably ok to hold back a horse or 2 but cows wouldn’t be long testing the hinge bar

Rather than a built in gate.
Would a section at the end of the gate which can slide back work?
Could be clear underneath, with perhaps some form of frame over the top to latch it to the pillar whilst the slide is open?

Rather than a built in gate.
Would a section at the end of the gate which can slide back work?
Could be clear underneath, with perhaps some form of frame over the top to latch it to the pillar whilst the slide is open?
I made a sliding gate before like you talk about and it wasn't a success

Reactions: AYF

I priced the gate in the first link to suit a 4m wide opening, 600 euro plus VAT, I'm going to have a look at it anyway

Back