3 crop rule 21/22

towbar

Does 3 crop rule apply this year?

I seem to recal a plan to switch to a non recurring crop model at some stage?

It's f###ing stupid. Will there be an option to sow spring barley followed by cover crop in the new rules? I'm doing it here with good results

If it was like the current system your cover crop wouldn't be recorded so it would appear to be continuous SB??

No matter what your size (although I'd argue a bigger issue sub 50 acres from an input perspective) this will be a pain in the proverbial, increase workload, more crops with poorer returns and markets and at a time when malting/roasting barley was seeing a rise in demand.

Also with other changes about armchair farmers, will we see these now entering contract farming arrangements to keep entitlements and this will make that more difficult too.

For the larger dairy farmer growing maize, will this mean they have to take out grass instead of having a maize/wheat/barley rotation like a good few have around here.

I don't know the answer but sadly there is not much press time being given to the consequences of this - tillage farming being sold out, again.

If it was like the current system your cover crop wouldn't be recorded so it would appear to be continuous SB??

No matter what your size (although I'd argue a bigger issue sub 50 acres from an input perspective) this will be a pain in the proverbial, increase workload, more crops with poorer returns and markets and at a time when malting/roasting barley was seeing a rise in demand.

Also with other changes about armchair farmers, will we see these now entering contract farming arrangements to keep entitlements and this will make that more difficult too.

For the larger dairy farmer growing maize, will this mean they have to take out grass instead of having a maize/wheat/barley rotation like a good few have around here.

I don't know the answer but sadly there is not much press time being given to the consequences of this - tillage farming being sold out, again.
I do think 3 crop rule has awakened some sense of the need and value of rotation. If they even allowed choose between either or set maximum of 3 continuous years or something for save crop.

I do think 3 crop rule has awakened some sense of the need and value of rotation. If they even allowed choose between either or set maximum of 3 continuous years or something for save crop.

I don't disagree but it is short sighted and could do much more harm than good in an Irish context.

Any news on the 3 crop rule lately? The beat on the street a while back was it was to be gone for this cropping year then it was all a bit quiet, just a farmer mentioned it to me today in conversation, he reckoned it was gone this year

Back