Going farming

Read in 1 of these posts your next to a reasonably large town?? What about renting a couple of acres and sub letting plots to people to grow there own produce? Keep an acre for yourself to grow spuds on?

I’d imagine the public liability insurance for that would be astronomical.
I foolishly didn’t think about that and couldn’t put a figure on it but would it be any more than seeding ground, all costs associated with such and as mentioned the risk of a bad year and a failed crop not to mention public liability insurance on said ground anyway(granted it probably wouldn’t be as much as it would be in plots open to the public).

I’d imagine the public liability insurance for that would be astronomical.
I have a friend that rents vegetable plots and a couple of plots for small polytunnels to over 50 people on the edge of a town. Approximately 100 euro per plot for annual rent and insurance comes to just over 1000. There is a good bit of management with it for 4000 a year but it fits in quite well with another business that they have.

A friend of mine has a bit of an obsession for market gardening, he's no land or farm background but is taking time out now from work to travel Europe and see how they do it there, with the intention of going at it himself.
He has done courses in it and spent time with some fella in Limerick I think who rents 5 acres and turning over 75k a year or thereabouts allegedly.
Polytunnels and that type setup.
Labour intensive I expect, not a big machinery type setup.
He reckons with more focus on health and knowing food origins etc. there is market there.

A friend of mine has a bit of an obsession for market gardening, he's no land or farm background but is taking time out now from work to travel Europe and see how they do it there, with the intention of going at it himself.
He has done courses in it and spent time with some fella in Limerick I think who rents 5 acres and turning over 75k a year or thereabouts allegedly.
Polytunnels and that type setup.
Labour intensive I expect, not a big machinery type setup.
He reckons with more focus on health and knowing food origins etc. there is market there.

And he is possibly taking taking time out from a job that pays 75k a year , as opposed.to turning over 75 k a year , to learn about this.

Youdint take time out from 35 k jobs .

It's "Good luck to you . Next ".

And he is possibly taking taking time out from a job that pays 75k a year , as opposed.to turning over 75 k a year , to learn about this.

Youdint take time out from 35 k jobs .

It's "Good luck to you . Next ".
He's actually handed his notice to his current job. I suppose it's not all about money.
Probably not what I would do but everyone is different.

To be fair I started with nothing and I understand how the world works.
I understand that it isn't all rosy, I enjoy being involved in agricultural land work, I like doing work for other people but I'd like to be able to farm on my own at either a big or small scale.
Liking what your doing and getting enjoyment from it, is a great start.
The climate is the first thing, I’d be looking at.
What crops if any are grown locally?
If someone else is doing it, with reasonable success, there’s no reason why you can’t do it too, provided, that you get access to suitable land at the right price.
I wouldn’t be jumping into veg first, grow some cereals first and see where it goes.

Last edited:
I have a friend that rents vegetable plots and a couple of plots for small polytunnels to over 50 people on the edge of a town. Approximately 100 euro per plot for annual rent and insurance comes to just over 1000. There is a good bit of management with it for 4000 a year but it fits in quite well with another business that they have.
This side of the water you would need planning for "change of use" on the land as it's no longer considered agricultural and then it also becomes liable to business rates.

Don't the council own and manage a lot of the allotments over there?
This side of the water you would need planning for "change of use" on the land as it's no longer considered agricultural and then it also becomes liable to business rates.

What does it cost to grow a crop of winter barley on a 5 year average and what is the return off said crop on a 5 year average?
Im sure the lads at it have this worked out down to the cent?

To be fair I started with nothing and I understand how the world works.
I understand that it isn't all rosy, I enjoy being involved in agricultural land work, I like doing work for other people but I'd like to be able to farm on my own at either a big or small scale.
Maybe not your scene, but a bit of a change from your present work,

A fellow near here started with a very small acres and has built up steadily over the years supplying organic veggies and herbs etc.

Google "Jim Cronin Clare"

Maybe not your scene, but a bit of a change from your present work,

A fellow near here started with a very small acres and has built up steadily over the years supplying organic veggies and herbs etc.

Google "Jim Cronin Clare"
Jim is a lovely fella and has a lot of knowledge.

One thing i would say is if you are renting ground, have a good lease contract in place.

The best "in" to farming i can think of for someone who does not have land to farm might be pigs or poultry or maybe mushrooms, not sure how these can be started without massive capital and some foothold on an acre or two however.
All of them would also give off a waste\byproduct that might fit in with the tillage sector aspirations you are aiming for maybe

Back